Unable to catch Apple TV, Google TV said to rebrand under Android soon

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    andysol wrote: »
    Why buy a Chromebook when you can get a used 11" Air on Craigslist for just a little more?  Do I have to remind you that you will be supporting a despicable company (Samsung)?

Forget the fact you're sending your money to crooks-  Isn't iCloud/shared contacts/Time Machine (if you have a time capsule)/Find my Mac/etc/Calendar/iMessage/Facetime/Safari Links/Mail not worth it?

Apple is evil. No matter what you pay you are paying too much. Apple only sells toys and is all marketing.
  • Reply 42 of 56
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    andysol wrote: »
    Why buy a Chromebook when you can get a used 11" Air on Craigslist for just a little more?

Where are you finding even a used MacBook Air in working condition for less than $250? BTW, Samsung isn't the only company selling Chromebooks, so they can be avoided.
  • Reply 43 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Why buy a Chromebook when you can get a used 11" Air on Craigslist for just a little more?  Do I have to remind you that you will be supporting a despicable company (Samsung)?

Forget the fact you're sending your money to crooks-  Isn't iCloud/shared contacts/Time Machine (if you have a time capsule)/Find my Mac/etc/Calendar/iMessage/Facetime/Safari Links/Mail not worth it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Where are you finding even a used MacBook Air in working condition for less than $250? BTW, Samsung isn't the only company selling Chromebooks, so they can be avoided.

Right. Honestly, for this purpose? I'll go Acer. or HP

Plus, it isn't like we can avoid Samsung. Apple uses them, too.

• Reply 44 of 56
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    "You can't polish a turd..."

Actually, Mythbusters proved that you can.
    But the end result is that you still wind up with nothing more than a shiny turd.
  • Reply 45 of 56
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And this is with Apple TV as still a HOBBY.

With Google, it's a hobble.

• Reply 46 of 56
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member

Ahh, good old typical Apple fanboy Google hatin'!  To clear things up, Chrome OS is great.  Sorry, it's really good.  For light web browsing, I'll take my $200 chromebook over my $1100 MBA.  Google TV is Android based so aligning the naming seems like a reasonable choice.  

Why is this Apple news again?  Oh yeah, Apple TV and stuff.  pfft.

• Reply 47 of 56
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Acer, HP and soon Fujitsu and Sony also make Chromebooks so you are not limited to just Samsung. The new Acer C720 with a Haswell CPU is actually pretty nice for 250 bucks. The Chromebooks also include two years of 100GB storage from Google, a 120 dollar value so the Chromebook is then actually only 130 bucks. You can also install Ubuntu over the ChromeOS system or install it in the same runtime as ChromeOS, meaning the two OS's use the same Kernel. CTRL F1 for Ubuntu, CTRL F2 to go back to ChromeOS.

Intel Celeron Haswell 2980U (Don't be fooled by the Celeron badge, the CPU score is 2150 making it faster than some of the i3 processors)

4GB RAM, 2 RAM slots upgradeable to 8GB RAM

16GB SSD (Google's idea is that you would store you data in the cloud, Google Drive is integrated into the system) you can easily replace the SSD to a higher capacity or use a mechanical drive

8 hours battery, removable

USB 3.0

HDMI

SD Card

4G version available soon

• Reply 48 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And this is with Apple TV as still a HOBBY.

Imagine what will happen when Apple kills off cable and satellite!

This is what I was thinking.

Google is competing (and failing) against a hobby?

• Reply 49 of 56
    akqies wrote: »
    Which translated to Google's poor planking and poor execution which means it was all Google's fault.

Apple and Roku seem to be doing pretty well with their media extenders so you really can't claim it's not Goohle's fault.
    Absolutely it's "Google's fault" and to their credit they recognized it. The move to Android TV and and away from Google TV has been planned for months. This article from back in April discussed it.
    http://blog.nextmarket.co/post/49266030177/want-android-tv-box-just-wait
  • Reply 50 of 56
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Absolutely it's "Google's fault" and to their credit they recognized it. The move to Android TV and and away from Google TV has been planned for months. This article from back in April discussed it.
    http://blog.nextmarket.co/post/49266030177/want-android-tv-box-just-wait

Likewise it's Apple's fault for MobileMe failing thus the rebranding. Is this even using Android's codebase or it still based on Chrome OS? From what I can tell it's still Chrome going by another name.
  • Reply 51 of 56
    Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

To clear things up, Chrome OS is great.  Sorry, it's really good.  For light web browsing

And nothing else. So enjoy your $200 portable browser in a plastic shell. For real work, everyone else will buy iPads and MacBooks.

Chrome OS MIGHT have had a chance at a NICHE, TEMPORARILY had it existed in 2007 when netbooks were all the rage. Since the iPad exists, it’s DOA. It was actually DB2–dead before drawing board.

• Reply 52 of 56
    akqies wrote: »
    Likewise it's Apple's fault for MobileMe failing thus the rebranding. Is this even using Android's codebase or it still based on Chrome OS? From what I can tell it's still Chrome going by another name.

Nope, it's Android. Note the pending update to Jellybean code-base.
  • Reply 53 of 56

I highly doubt that that will help anything. But that's just more Google thinking.

• Reply 54 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by skyarbrenden View Post

I highly doubt that that will help anything. But that's just more Google thinking.

Actually google has some great minds for innovation and engineering.

It's just the android OEMs who are crap.

• Reply 55 of 56

Yeah, I've always thought Google was a creative and smart company, but obviously they aren't too smart with their Android team. It's still Google's fault on who they hire for Android, and how Android is doing.

Not only that, but if jus the Android team sucks, that's a really bad thing since Google is really putting most of their time and energy into Android. After all, they're even changing the Google TV to 'Android' TV.....