iPhone 5s has 2% app crash rate; crashes half as likely on iPhone 5 & 5c

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 94

Honestly have not seen one app crash on my 5s, had it for two weeks now and I use it heavily, for everything, games, texts, phone and all kinds of other stuff.  I would take the article with a grain of salt.  Use the multitasking screen all the time and never had a single issue.

Much ado about nothing IMO.

• Reply 82 of 94

Had my 5s for two weeks, and so far I've had maybe 3 apps crash on me.  Otherwise, it has been rock solid and more reliable than my iPod touch (3rd gen, running iOS 5). 

The only instance where the iPhone itself restarted was this morning while using Siri to start up iTunes Radio.  It crashed only after I accidentally unlocked the lock screen and then proceeded to the music app to try and upvote the song playing.  Otherwise, the phone has been very stable. 

I also wonder if installing the updates using the full update file rather than the incremental delta update helps.  With my phone, I tried reloading several GB of music files from iTunes Match and the process hung up several times.  During that whole process, the "Other" storage usage ballooned out, so I decided to restore the phone.  This required loading the full iOS 7.0.2 file. 

• Reply 83 of 94
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Haven't seen a problem with the iPhone5S yet. Must not be running apps which are not handled appropriately.

Or running one of the apps they track.

Thats an important detail to note. They only get crash logs from apps that signed up for their service. Who knows how many that is or what titles. How many have been updated for iOS 7 much less 64 bit etc
  • Reply 84 of 94
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    darkvader wrote: »
    More crashes is newsworthy, despite fanboi desires that the news be suppressed.

It's not a desire the news be suppressed rather that it be placed in full context. That this company isn't seeing rash logs from every device and very app is important. For all we know they are looking at only a handful of apps that have low download rates. Which gives their results a far different appearance than say Apple giving out the same information based on all apps and all devices. Even if only 10% of iOS users have 'send diagnostic data' turned on they could still end up with far better sample than this company has.
  • Reply 85 of 94
    oskiooskio Posts: 60member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Developers need to update their apps, huh? How is this Apple’s fault?

It crashes on Pages and iPhoto for me.... yeah, that's not Apple's fault. 

• Reply 86 of 94
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

For all the people who think 64bit doesn't give any advantage until you have 4GB of RAM, I have a some very simple questions for you:

- Does this mean that only Apps that are 4GB or larger get any benefit?

- Does it mean only Apps that load files that are 4GB or larger get any benefit?

- What if I'm running several Apps that only require 200MB of RAM (code & data)? Does that mean I don't get any benefit until I'm running 20 or more at the same time until I hit the 4GB barrier (200MB x 20 Apps = 4GB)?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2013751/why-cant-32-bit-windows-access-4gb-of-ram.html

A 32-bit system can't "talk to" more than 4GB of RAM.  32 bits can only make a little more than 4,000,000,000 different combinations of  numbers.  Locations in RAM have addresses, so 32-bit systems can access a little more than 4,000,000,000 addresses.  In order to address more than 4GB of RAM, you have to move to 64-bit processors.

• Reply 87 of 94
    Given the new hardware, 64-bit vs 32-bit (which is a huge transition), touch ID, M-co-processor, etc., I am not surprised there are more bugs. I am actually surprised the failure rate is so low.
  • Reply 88 of 94
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/2013751/why-cant-32-bit-windows-access-4gb-of-ram.html

A 32-bit system can't "talk to" more than 4GB of RAM.  32 bits can only make a little more than 4,000,000,000 different combinations of  numbers.  Locations in RAM have addresses, so 32-bit systems can access a little more than 4,000,000,000 addresses.  In order to address more than 4GB of RAM, you have to move to 64-bit processors.

That's false. There were 32 bit systems that could handle more than 4 GB of RAM. It required some software tricks, but it could be done.

For example, OS X can handle up to 32 GB of RAM in 32 bit mode:
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2554234?start=0&tstart=0
  • Reply 89 of 94
    oskio wrote: »
    It crashes on Pages and iPhoto for me.... yeah, that's not Apple's fault. 

Is it just me or does anyone else think it is odd that the iWork apps, iPhoto, and iMovie were not updated to take advantage of iOS 7? As well as Podcasts. Guessing they are coming on the 22nd?
  • Reply 90 of 94

Just wondering, since there was a limit on 32 bit, would 64 bit have a limit, and how much?
    jragosta wrote: »
    That's false. There were 32 bit systems that could handle more than 4 GB of RAM. It required some software tricks, but it could be done.

For example, OS X can handle up to 32 GB of RAM in 32 bit mode:
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2554234?start=0&tstart=0
    I have seen some old computer that was well before 64 bit and it could handle 16 so this makes since.
    I have a iPhone 5, get about 8% crash rate, am I unlucky or what?
    ios 7.0.3 ended it, I so far have had 1 app crash, (apple insiders app itself) so maybe 99.2% stable (compared to IOS 6 with 99.4% is good average.
  • Reply 91 of 94
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

Just wondering, since there was a limit on 32 bit, would 64 bit have a limit, and how much?

I have seen some old computer that was well before 64 bit and it could handle 16 so this makes since.

ios 7.0.3 ended it, I so far have had 1 app crash, (apple insiders app itself) so maybe 99.2% stable (compared to IOS 6 with 99.4% is good average.

the limit to RAM on 64-bit is 16 exabytes if that is what you were talking about.

• Reply 93 of 94
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

The lack of updates to Apps both 3rd party and Apple for iOS 7 compatibility is pathetic.

Are you sure about that? Given they now happen in the background you might want to check what the gnomes have been doing while you slept. The list of updates on my phone log is rather extensive....

• Reply 94 of 94

Hello I made this article recently because I purchased a poor iphone 5s and wanted to make others aware of common faults with an average 5s and also the minor few with larger faults. Also lets you know which can be repaired and how to do so in some cases.

http://troyangeluk.hubpages.com/hub/common-problems-with-the-iPhone-5s