Some iPhone 5s owners reporting 'Blue Screen of Death' with iWork apps

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2014
A number of iPhone 5s owners have taken to Apple's support pages to report that their devices are occasionally plagued by a Windows-like "Blue Screen of Death" that resets the device when they are using Apple's iWork suite of apps.

image via PCMag

Posts regarding the Blue Screen of Death (BSoD) began to appear on Apple's support boards in September, with users claiming that their iPhone 5s units would crash when using Apple's iWork apps. Some users have posted videos showing the problem occurring when accessing the multitasking function while using an iWork app, while others say the problem occurs after quitting one of the apps.

The issue, which has also been reported for the iPad, causes an iOS device's screen to show only blue. The device then resets. Some have reported that the issue has occurred even outside the use of Apple's iWork apps, including while using Siri and while switching between other apps.

Apple has yet to comment on the matter.

The iPhone BSoD issue could be seen as an ironic twist, as the name comes from a problem that has plagued Microsoft's Windows operating system since version 3.1. Windows' BSoD would display text informing users that their "PC ran into a problem and needs to restart." The bug was prevalent enough that the Blue Screen of Death has its own Wikipedia page.

One apparent workaround for the iPhone BSoD is to disable iCloud syncing for iWork apps. Other users suggest exiting from an iWork app to the iOS home screen before attempting to switch to another app.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 78

just be happy you have your 5s :P 

• Reply 2 of 78
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

I haven't seen a BSOD in aeons.  Thanks for the memories, Apple.

• Reply 3 of 78
    It's happened to me a single time while using iPhoto on the 5S. Sudden solid blue screen and then, bam, the iPhone rebooted. I've used iPhoto several other times without issue.

Mark
  • Reply 4 of 78
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post

It's happened to me a single time while using iPhoto on the 5S. Sudden solid blue screen and then, bam, the iPhone rebooted. I've used iPhoto several other times without issue.

Mark

On iPhoto launch, or were you interacting with iPhoto when it happened? Thanks

• Reply 5 of 78
    That's all the more reason I dodged a bullet in keeping my iPhone 5 locked on iOS 6. And no, I don't dare update my apps. They work. It's going to be this way until iOS 7 beta testing is finished, hopefully by next year.
  • Reply 6 of 78
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    That's all the more reason I dodged a bullet in keeping my iPhone 5 locked on iOS 6. And no, I don't dare update my apps. They work. It's going to be this way until iOS 7 beta testing is finished, hopefully by next year.
    Do we know for sure this is an ios 7 problem and not a 5S problem? I'm running iOS 7 on my iPhone 5 and haven't come cross this issue at all.
  • Reply 7 of 78
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    It's a 5s issue.

Even with the iOS 7 betas I've been running on my iPhone 5 since it dropped in June, I've experienced crashes here and there, but *never* a blue-screen crash. Never. Not even once. And I don't experience them now, nor do I experience any crashes. I highly doubt it's an iOS issue. It seems to be iOS in relation to the iPhone 5s.

Additionally, Apple will likely fix this very soon. Because unlike BSODs on *other* platforms, this one's actually fixable, and by a company that actually cares about doing it.
  • Reply 8 of 78
    oskiooskio Posts: 60member

It crashes on iPhoto and Pages for me, but I don't really use them very much...they are now free, which was a nice surprise, thanks Apple! I am having issues with it hanging.  Once I have not been able to answer a call...swipe, swipe, swipe and nothing.  Had to reboot the phone.  A few times my 5s has said 'No SIM' and I had to reboot....that is a bigger concern for me.

Even with these annoyances I really really like the 5s.  I find myself holding my thumb on the home button on my iPad mini and waiting for it to unlock...;)

• Reply 9 of 78
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    I've had one random reboot on my 5s, but no blue screen. Happened just today, while exiting Settings.
  • Reply 10 of 78
    I've got a 5s and it's happened twice while using Facebook. I don't have iWork loaded. It's nasty!
  • Reply 11 of 78
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

I've used iOS7 on multiple devices since the first beta, it is fine, don't be a pussy. ;)
  • Reply 12 of 78
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    mcclymoa wrote: »
    I've got a 5s and it's happened twice while using Facebook. I don't have iWork loaded. It's nasty!

If course it did, I believe you, really i do, all your posts seem to back up that you are a genuine ... Oh wait a minute .... :no:
  • Reply 13 of 78
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

If course it did, I believe you, really i do, all your posts seem to back up that you are a genuine ... Oh wait a minute .... image

Huh? Am I missing something here? They just joined today and it's their first comment.

• Reply 14 of 78
    You know, I have had no problems at all. I don't know, but like anything else it is always about proper preparation. Making sure all updates are completed etc.
  • Reply 15 of 78

Thanks for a great column - these are precisely the symptoms I've been observing.

• Reply 16 of 78
    A clue that this is iPhone 5s related,
    The only device with A7 chip...

Using iPod touch 5 iOS7 (A5 chip)
    Have not experienced these issues.
  • Reply 17 of 78
    I picked up my 5s on day one and never had any issues with crashes. There was the odd app that was not compliant with iiOS 7 but that is to be expected.

I read about the blue screen issue today and can confirm iit exists. I ran Pages loading up a document and then switching back to the Documents tab (upper left corner), then double clicked home button and the blue screen and reset occurred. I tested this twice.

I have the same document on my iPad 3 upgraded to iOS 7 and followed the same steps and could not get the blue screen and reset to occur.
  • Reply 18 of 78
    If course it did, I believe you, really i do, all your posts seem to back up that you are a genuine ... Oh wait a minute .... :no:
    You are an idiot.
  • Reply 19 of 78
    connieconnie Posts: 101member

This look like a problem on the 5s only. I hope Apple fix this fast, as I do not think it happens on other IOS devices. I wonder if it might have something to do with the 64 bit processor on the Apple iPhone 5s?

• Reply 20 of 78
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It's a 5s issue.

Even with the iOS 7 betas I've been running on my iPhone 5 since it dropped in June, I've experienced crashes here and there, but *never* a blue-screen crash. Never. Not even once. And I don't experience them now, nor do I experience any crashes. I highly doubt it's an iOS issue. It seems to be iOS in relation to the iPhone 5s.

I'm sure it's an iOS issue. Remember that it's running in 64-bit on 5s, and have the iWork apps even been updated lately?