Target Stores To Carry PC And Mac Versions Of iPod

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
According to Think Secret, some stores have already received product and promotional material. Target will put them on sale November 3. Great move by Apple for its' bottom line. Over 1100 Target Stores nation-wide will sell them. I suspect it will be the 5 Gig model only.

UPDATE: CNet Reports that Target will sell both Mac and PC iPods!

Go here:

<a href="http://news.com.com/2100-1040-963217.html"; target="_blank">http://news.com.com/2100-1040-963217.html</a>;

[ 10-24-2002: Message edited by: MacsRGood4U ]

[ 10-24-2002: Message edited by: MacsRGood4U ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    They should sell a lot of them. It's a very good product, and christmas is coming, so the price, while a touch steep, won't matter as much. People spend to much at xmas, perfect timing.

In some markets iPod has something like 40% of the MP3 market (japan), even though compararble stuff from Nomad (Zen) and Toshiba is out/coming. Anyone still think Apple can't put out a digital camera to rock the consumer market? Can they afford not to at least give it a try? Even HP is making cameras for chrissakes.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    HP has cameras made for them by a third party. It goes well with their new generation of printers (where you don't necessarily need a computer to print photos). Apple will not come out with a camera until they can offer something different and possibly better. Maybe next year.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>

Even HP is making cameras for chrissakes.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Since they've long been the market leader in imagine related products like printers and scanners, why are you surprised? Digital cameras are a no-brainer for HP...not as easy a decision for Apple though.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Apple stock finally showed effects from the Target announcement. It went up 4.9% on Friday the 25th. The potential $$$ is enormous.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Yeah, but some here argue that you just can't compete with established camera makers (Kodak, Nikon, Canon, Fuji etc...) But very diverse companies have been doing well in the Digital Still market, Sony (yes they have vid experience I know), Panasonic (same), Toshiba... Then there's HP from the computer world, and a few others from the camera market, Leica.

You can't take it lightly, but with the right planning you can certainly enter he market and make/maintain a space for yourself. They're good sellers and the right style/functionality blend could end-up moving a lot of cameras out the door.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Getting back on the subject of this thread, Apple made it official on October 30. All Target Stores now offer the 10 Gig iPod in Mac and PC versions. A display will enable people to play with the little wonder.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    jmoneyjmoney Posts: 133member
    Maybe it's just me.. but selling a high priced mp3 player at a discount chain? I don't know how many of you people have actually shopped at a Target, but it's not the same crowd dropping $400 on a mp3 player.. Just my two cents..
  • Reply 8 of 10
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    I was fingering these babies instore a week ago! The first day I heard the rumor I ran into Target after work and waited around like 25 minutes while they dug through the latest shipments off the trucks for "some pod cd player thing" that I had to ask a manager about to get anywhere. They finally brought me out a 10GB Windows iPod, and I had them pricecheck it.. $399, no surprises there. But I acted surprised so they wouldn't expect me to buy it... then I went up to the front desk and applied for a Target card, to hopefully buy myself an early Christmas present, and they gave me a free FM radio thing as a consolation prize, "The computer says that they're going to have to mail you some documents, and ask some questions.. you should receive a letter within 5-10 business days, but you might still be able to get the card, you never know!"

Anyhow, it fits great with Target, and their "target" market. The iPod is now the most universally appealing, successful, and well-made product Apple has ever offered. It just makes sense. Besides.. it's a done deal, so quit complaining, it could be worse! ('Sides, you want Apple to be successful, right?)
  • Reply 9 of 10
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I just saw the iPod in a Target the other night and was shocked! Had to look 2-3 times to make sure I was seeing what I thought I was.

It was on the counter where they sell cameras (a little manned "island" in the electronics section) and the iPod was locked into an acrylic display case, however its earbuds and nav wheel were reachable and usable. It was packed with tons of songs in a wide range of genres too.

Coolest thing? TONS of people were stopping to check it out, talk about it, etc. I ended up talking to a guy and his wife about it, explaining what it was, what it did, etc. and they were happy to hear that its available for Windows as well.

It was the 10GB model.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    A Target store near me, at the Sawgrass Mills Shopping Mall, has a counter display for the iPod ($399 model). Unfortunately it is postioned to make it difficult to play with as it is not at the front of the counter top nearest a potential customer but at the back. Also this particular store felt it necessary to put Video Tape display boxes of Disney product in front of the iPod display making it nearly impossible for the casual shopper to know it was there. Michael Eisner is really getting his licks at SJ! Again, why aren't Apple reps scouring these stores to check up and see how things are going. It's the same old story when it comes to Apple products and retailers other then Apple. Why bother?