So I just got the 20GB iPod...

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
?and it is such a cool toy! I was going to get the 10GB model due to its slimmer size, but when I saw the 20GB model was just slightly thicker and only $100 more, I figured the extra 10 gigs was more than worth it.

I was hoping for Apple to release a TiPod But that never happened. Don't get me wrong, I love the iPod design, but it's not very practical. The back will scratch and smudge if you look at it the wrong way and the front is a particle magnet. I am very meticulous and take very good care of my toys, but the iPod will inevitably get scratched and smudged. I think a cool titanium or magnesium alloy matte casing (brushed metal) would look hot and also look new even a year down the road. But, since I got the 2 years replacement plan with CompUSA, I should be getting Apple's next generation iPod for either free, or $29. Well, that is if something happens to this one of course (like the battery conking out).

As far as the iPod is concerned, the thing is just awesome. Plug it in and the sync starts. It transferred my entire MP3 collection (1600 songs ripped from my CDs at 160kps) in about 15 minutes. I like that from view options to play lists it transfers everything exactly the way you have it setup in iTunes. I am glad I got the 20GB model since I already used more than 10 gigs and I am not done ripping my CDs yet! The actual capacity of the 20GB iPod is 18.5GB.

I like the idea that I can take my CD collection with me in the car via the car adapter, at work via my external sub and speakers there and to a friend's house via the stereo hookup plug (all sold separately).

The stationary touch sensitive scroll wheel is the best. It's silky smooth and there is a slight click as you pass each section or file. It's very easy to navigate and you know it will never get loose or have stuff stuck underneath it.

What I don't like about the iPod is the lack of a custom EQ setting. While the iPod has good output via headphones and speakers, I think it can be better. I've tried all the presets and 'Electronic' suits most of my music best, but I prefer to tweak the treble and bass myself. Another thing I'd like as an option is to be able to shrink the font size on the iPod. I think it's just a bit too big for this size window. If the font was a bit smaller, you'd see more of the song name when browsing. I also wouldn't mind an option to dim or brighten the backlight. It's VERY bright. I have it turned off mostly but it does come in handy at night.

So now I am on the hunt for a decent pair of headphones (preferably ear buds). The ones that come with the iPod are decent, but they suck when you want to listen to deep electronic music. I hear that the Sony Fontopia ear buds are excellent. Anyone have them to verify ear comfort and sound quality? My main priority is deep rich bass and crisp tight treble. I also want to find a nice case for it. I like the rubber form fitting skinz out there. I have one on order as it claims to fit the 20GB model (we shall see).

I can honestly say that this iPod is a serious MP3 beast!

[ 10-25-2002: Message edited by: Patchouli ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    welcome in the iPoding club. you're late, but still welcome. have fun !
  • Reply 2 of 7
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    Patchouli, I agree, the iPod earbuds don't do electronic music many favours: I like to be really able to feel the bass, and I found them just too tinny . Other than that, they leak a lot of sound at high volume and are damned uncomfortable, though it might just be that my ears are a funny shape...

Anyhow, mine got retired in short order and I got myself some Sony Fontopia earbuds: I've always loved their sound, but the other set I have came with a Walkman, so have remote controls on the cord.

The model I have is MDR-ED228 (although I'll bet they've been superseded already, since Sony update the products faster than I change socks), and they really do the job: rich bass, good high-end, really comfortable and next-to-no leakage. Not exactly cheap, but really worth it.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    True, Sony Fontopia is the way to go. I don't know the model name of mine, but make sure you get those with the little lumps sticking out, going even deeper into your ear. Occasionally, they get a bit greasy, but you never loose them (which is kind of a problem with many buds, if you move briskly with them on), the sound of course, quite high fidelity actually (and more powerful base than just flat buds).
  • Reply 4 of 7
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    [quote]Originally posted by der Kopf:

<strong>True, Sony Fontopia is the way to go. I don't know the model name of mine, but make sure you get those with the little lumps sticking out, going even deeper into your ear. Occasionally, they get a bit greasy, but you never loose them (I mean, have them pop out of your ear - which is kind of a problem with many buds, if you move briskly with them on), the sound of course, quite high fidelity actually (and more powerful base than just flat buds).</strong><hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 5 of 7
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    The best seems to be the Etymotic ER-4P. These are quite expensive and they fit in the ear. This blocks out all other sound and also keeps you from bothering other people with your music. You can read some reviews here.

<a href="http://www.pricetool.com/content_64383585924"; target="_blank">http://www.pricetool.com/content_64383585924</a>;
  • Reply 6 of 7
    "I was hoping for Apple to release a TiPod"

Ditto...I want that along with somekind of wireless builtin...and audiorecording so I could use it to sample sound...

Those inner earphones mentioned above are known to be the best...but they might be uncomforable...im gonna get me a pair when i get the iPod....
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Thanks all for the suggestions. I actually went with the Sony Fontopia (MDR-EX70SL) earbuds. I found the white/grey ones usually only found in Asia - on eBay. I 'bought them now' so they should be here in a few days. I'll let you know how they sound if anyone is interested. Here is what they look like:

As for finding the right case, I decided to go with the Vaga iVolution iPod case which is made specifically for the 20GB iPod. It's a gorgeous and clean design which I think really compliments as well as protects the iPod. You can customize it with or without a belt clip (I loath belt clips and do not wear my electronic toys), and you can also choose from a variety of colors. Being a Palm/PocketPC user, I've been reading for years about Vaja quality - from the build and design to the leather they use.

I went with the Gray Patchouly and Caterina Black. Ironic how the name of the gray is Patchouly, isn't it?! Here is a pic of the one I am getting. You can go to their sight and configure your own or see all the color combos they have:

<a href="http://www.vajacases.com/home.html"; target="_blank">Vaja Cases</a>

[ 10-31-2002: Message edited by: Patchouli ]</p>