iOS 7 update brings more Wi-Fi issues for some iPhone 4S owners

Comments

• Reply 41 of 117
    Quote:

Originally Posted by djd214 View Post

Bad batch is tech speak for " I have no idea how to fix this but you want to know a why so it this sounds good. Now go away you've exceeded your ten minutes." There is no bad batch that issue has happened since iPhone launched. It's just more and more obvious with OTA updates and more complex coding

You really have no idea what you are talking about.  Did you know there was a small amount of iPhone 4s that had bad proximity sensors?  Did you know there was a small amount of iPhone 5s that had cameras that could not focus correctly?  Now there are iPhone 5Ss that have bad gyroscopes.  AppleInsider did not bother to report on the bad gyroscopes, but many others did, with proof.

http://gizmodo.com/the-iphone-5s-motion-sensors-are-totally-screwed-up-1440286727

• Reply 42 of 117
    [quote name="Brandon Abell" url="/t/160054/ios-7-update-brings-more-wi-fi-issues-for-some-iphone-4s-owners#post_2415022"]
    There have been bad batches.  My iPhone 4 purchased near launch had to be replaced twice due to a malfunctioning proximity sensor (many people had this issue).  The third one worked perfectly, and continues to.  There are many individual components in a phone, any of them could have "bad batches" and having so many parts that have to work perfectly in-concert vastly increases the chance of things going wrong.  iPhones are quality devices, but failures can happen.
    [/quote

Actually I worked for Apple Inc. repairing iPhones. I speak from experience within the company. Problems arise in electronics. It is the nature of the business to have equipment that fails at shipping. Technicians don't care to give you a reason why your specific device failed. They do not care. They only want to resolve the issue. If you press them with why did it fail your going to get some bs like bad batch chip doesn't work with firmware. Etc. Get over yourself.
  • Reply 43 of 117
    hillstones wrote: »
    You really have no idea what you are talking about.  Did you know there was a small amount of iPhone 4s that had bad proximity sensors?  Did you know there was a small amount of iPhone 5s that had cameras that could not focus correctly?  Now there are iPhone 5Ss that have bad gyroscopes.  AppleInsider did not bother to report on the bad gyroscopes, but many others did, with proof.

http://gizmodo.com/the-iphone-5s-motion-sensors-are-totally-screwed-up-1440286727
    I

My previous post was meant for you
  • Reply 44 of 117
    I see that you have no proof or explanation to your alleged reasons for the Wi-Fi greying out, but if you research other sites, they have confirmed it is a hardware failure with the Wi-Fi chip, not batteries, SIM cards, firmware or software causing the Wi-Fi chip to become disabled.

Many have fixed the problem by re-working the solder on the Wi-Fi chip, or heating up the iPhone with a hair dryer.
    http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/135053/WiFi+Greyed+out+iOS+6.1.3

Apple's advice is to reset the network settings.  When that doesn't work, restore the iPhone.  When that doesn't work, contact Apple so they can tell you it is a hardware failure.  The majority that have the problem also confirm software reset and restore does not work.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1559

I don't need to present evidence. I was simply pointing out that just because it didn't fix your problem doesn't mean the info to set up as new wasn't helpful to others. You seem to think only on thing could possibly cause an issue. I repair iPhones and am an ios certified technician. I know what I am talking. about because I have repaired hundreds of them. How many have you repaired?
  • Reply 45 of 117
    My wife and I both have a 4s.
    We both upgraded to iOS 7.0.2.
    BOTH NOW FAIL WIFI.
    Just random, right? You tell me the odds.
  • Reply 46 of 117

I Have iPhone 4s and WiFi was working fine only had the phone for under a year, Got it from o2, until 3 days ago i started experiencing grayed wifi i done restore and all that still wifi isn't working it just goes "gprs" and why are people commenting saying they dont have this problem and that its a bad batch, trust me if you experience greyed out wifi you wont be happy if we knew that apple were trying to fix the problem i would feel happier. but as far as i know apple. haven't said anything about this problem 

• Reply 47 of 117
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

U linked to gizmo? Yeah, they don't have an agenda.
  • Reply 48 of 117

Bullshit

• Reply 49 of 117
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    brettyboo wrote: »
    My wife and I both have a 4s.
    We both upgraded to iOS 7.0.2.
    BOTH NOW FAIL WIFI.
    Just random, right? You tell me the odds.

The odds of everyones' significant other also has this problem wouldn't tell me anything, no. With tech, this could be anything. A bad batch or whatever. If enough people have this problem we know companies address the issue, Apple included.
    I Have iPhone 4s and WiFi was working fine only had the phone for under a year, Got it from o2, until 3 days ago i started experiencing grayed wifi i done restore and all that still wifi isn't working it just goes "gprs" and why are people commenting saying they dont have this problem and that its a bad batch, trust me if you experience greyed out wifi you wont be happy if we knew that apple were trying to fix the problem i would feel happier. but as far as i know apple. haven't said anything about this problem

Normally they don't, only on rare occasions, like the crowd-sourced tracking thing causing Steve to write a public letter. But no, normally they release bug fixing software updates, and summarize what is being addressed, and that summery is just that, a summery.
    jungmark wrote: »

U linked to gizmo? Yeah, they don't have an agenda.

They're still in business? I wonder for what purpose?
    hazy11 wrote: »
    Bullshit

No idea what you're referring to, so can't welcome you to the forum, as you're not contributing.
  • Reply 50 of 117
    Ok i will reply to this - quite frankly I am over the whole affair, and this has badly damaged my relationship with Apple.
    I have struggled with the wifi issue for over two weeks, i believe the OS is actually screwing the phone up, as it got frozen in airplane mode just now.
    IF I CAN REITERATE UP UNTIL I UPDATED THE IOS I HAD NO ISSUE WITH THIS HANDSET!

First contact with "Applecare" i got the standard company line that an out of warranty phone meant that I would have to pay $200NZ to be supplied a refurbished handset. No amount of arguing could change that.
    Yesterday on my day off I had to spend nearly 2 hours on the phone battling applecare again. They will now supply me with a phone for free, HOWEVER since there is no Apple Store in New Zealand I have to send the handset off and be without one for probably 2 weeks. OR have $750 frozen on my credit card while they send me another handset. And then once they receive the faulty one back they release the funds.
    Luckily I am travelling to Sydney Australia next week, where there are Apple Stores, And i will book an "appointment" although from what I read these are touch and go as well.
    So I will have to waste precious time on a business trip to Australia to fix an issue created by Apple.

At the moment I don't know if I would buy another Apple product ever again, this has been so badly handled - right from the lack of accountability from Apple for their product.

SHAME ON YOU APPLE
  • Reply 51 of 117
    Ok i will reply to this - quite frankly I am over the whole affair, and this has badly damaged my relationship with Apple.
    I have struggled with the wifi issue for over two weeks, i believe the OS is actually screwing the phone up, as it got frozen in airplane mode just now.

First contact with "Applecare" i got the standard company line that an out of warranty phone meant that I would have to pay $200NZ to be supplied a refurbished handset. No amount of arguing could change that.
    Yesterday on my day off I had to spend nearly 2 hours on the phone battling applecare again. They will now supply me with a phone for free, HOWEVER since there is no Apple Store in New Zealand I have to send the handset off and be without one for probably 2 weeks. OR have $750 frozen on my credit card while they send me another handset. And then once they receive the faulty one back they release the funds.
    Luckily I am travelling to Sydney Australia next week, where there are Apple Stores, And i will book an "appointment" although from what I read these are touch and go as well.
    So I will have to waste precious time on a business trip to Australia to fix an issue created by Apple.

At the moment I don't know if I would buy another Apple product ever again, this has been so badly handled - right from the lack of accountability from Apple for their product.

SHAME ON YOU APPLE
  • Reply 52 of 117

SHAME ON YOU APPLE
  • Reply 53 of 117
    Originally Posted by Hazy11 View Post

Nor should it, really.

SHAME ON YOU APPLE

Good for you, buy Android trash.

• Reply 54 of 117
    I see that you have over 12000 posts in Apple insider - so what do you have to say for this debacle? You are obviously a company drone for Apple.
    When will you get it in your head that Apple have caused massive inconvenience with this issue?

Come on admit it - Apple have screwed up!

And when will you admit that it is a IOS that has caused an outage with a perfectly good peice of hardware?

This alone makes it an Apple problem

FIX THE PROBLEM NOW I AM FED UP WITH THIS PROBLEM!!!!
  • Reply 55 of 117

I see that you have over 12000 posts

That’s one of the only factual statements in this post.

When will you get it in your head that Apple have caused massive inconvenience with this issue?

When you get it in your head that it’s not a “massive inconvenience”, perhaps.

Come on admit it - Apple have screwed up!

That’s entirely possible. As it’s obviously a software issue, 7.0.3 will very well fix it.

This alone makes it an Apple problem

As it’s a problem of Apple software on Apple hardware, I can’t imagine anyone claiming otherwise.

• Reply 56 of 117
    That’s one of the only factual statements in this post.

As said earlier I am over the whole issue

When you get it in your head that it’s not a “massive inconvenience”, perhaps.

this is a massive inconvenience as I have better things that need to be done

That’s entirely possible. As it’s obviously a software issue, 7.0.3 will very well fix it.

As it’s a problem of Apple software on Apple hardware, I can’t imagine anyone claiming otherwise.

OH - so you now admit its the OS and not the hardware? And as for Apple taking ownership they have not yet.
  • Reply 57 of 117

OH - so you now admit its the OS and not the hardware?

I never previously admitted anything either way. It’s obviously the new software, as this didn’t happen to you with older software.

• Reply 58 of 117
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    No problem with my 4S.
  • Reply 59 of 117
    I worked at Apple for years and having wifi/bluetooth greyed out after updating was liquid damage 90% of the time. I couldn't tell you why the issue occurred after updating but a common factor with almost all devices seemed to be prior liquid damage. For the ones that didn't have liquid damage a DFU restore usually fixed the issue, and it was very rarely something that required a device replacement (liquid damaged devices excluded). This is going all the way back to iOS 5.
  • Reply 60 of 117
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    hazy11 wrote: »
    And as for Apple taking ownership they have not yet.

And they shouldn't if you post stuff like this on their forum:
    Hi Mate

I too have been struggling with this issue. I am located in New Zealand, and we have no Apple store here. I spent an hour and a half on the phone to their "applecare" call centre and got disconnected at one stage which required me to call back.
    Each time i have spoken to them i got connected to a different country (it seems like)

The first time earlier in the week the Apple rep insisted i was out of warranty, the issue was my fault, and it would cost over $200 NZ dollars to fix.

Today on my marathon phone call i got them to the point where they would replace my phone for free, which is 154 days out of warranty. HOWEVER - it was either send the handset to them via courier, and they would send me back a replacement handset (my cost for courier and a two week turn around)
    or "express" replacement where they send me the phone first and i send them back the handset, my cost for return courier - and they put $750NZ block on my credit card until they receive the faulty iPhone back.

My card didn't have enough funds on it to do this, and i don't want to extend my credit limit for this.

Luckily i am travelling to Sydney next week and will try to make an "appointment" with one of their applecare people.
    How other people who don't have access to an Apple store I dont know, and Im ****** that I will have to spend precious time on an overseas trip doing this.

I actually am totally over apple and their customer service now, the very fact that this is a work phone makes it critical for me to operate, and i cant live on 3G all the time. And i cant be without it full stop.

I cant trust them now, and am reluctant to "upgrade" software on my other devices, which are also showing options for IOS 7.0.2