Apple planning to launch all-new 12" MacBook, higher-res sixth-gen iPad in 2014

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple has an all-new-design 12-inch MacBook with a high-resolution display, and a new 9.7-inch sixth-generation iPad with an even higher pixel count than the current Retina display, both in the works for next year, according to well-connected insider Ming-Chi Kuo.

rMBP

Kuo, an analyst with KGI Securities, revealed on Saturday that Apple has a number of major new products in the works for next year. Most notably, the new 12-inch MacBook will feature what he said is an "ultra-slim clamshell form factor."

He expects this new model to offer a marriage between the portability of the 11-inch MacBook Air and the greater productivity offered by the 13-inch model. The display is said to be on par with Apple's high-resolution MacBook Pro Retina display.

According to Kuo, the new MacBook is expected to "redefine laptop computing once again following the milestone created by the MacBook Air."

Despite speculation that Apple could introduce a notebook powered by its custom A-series chips found in the iPhone and iPad, Kuo does not expect that the new 12-inch MacBook will run on an A-series chip. Instead, he has predicted that the new MacBook will feature a traditional Intel CPU.

The analyst also revealed that Apple is working on a new sixth-generation iPad with a higher pixel-per-inch count than the existing 9.7-inch iPad with Retina display. Contrary to recent rumors, he doesn't expect Apple to launch a 12-inch iPad next year.

iPad review

The sixth-generation iPad is expected to launch in late 2014, and will pack in as much as 40 percent more pixels than the current iPad's Retina display.

Inside Apple's supply chain, he expects the company Parade Technology to benefit from an abundance of embedded DisplayPort technology in the company's 2014 lineup. Kuo said eDP, which is a standardized display interface that allows graphics processors to interface with display panels, will likely play a key role in the company's products next year.

"We think Parade will defend its status as Apple's sole eDP provider going into 2014, making it one of the top stories in the Apple supply chain," Kuo wrote in a research note.

Kuo has a strong track record of accurately revealing Apple's future product plans. He was the first to reveal that Apple would retire its 17-inch MacBook Pro, he correctly forecast Apple's entire fall 2012 product lineup, and his predictions for Apple's 2013 launch schedule made in January have thus far proven accurate.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 111
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

He expects this new model to offer a marriage between the portability of the 11-inch MacBook Air and the greater productivity offered by the 13-inch model.

Sounds like a load of crap to me. Next Apple will make an 8.8” iPad to go between the Mini and the regular. :no:

• Reply 2 of 111
    I think he got the rumor backwards
    - A higher resolution screen at 12.1" for a new iPad makes sense (a higher res screen for the iPad is simply unnecessary).

- A new Macbook Air with a higher res screen also makes sense, but perhaps that is also a 13" high-res screen.
  • Reply 3 of 111
    Originally Posted by cwoloszynski View Post

I think he got the rumor backwards

- A higher resolution screen at 12.1” for a new iPad…

- A new Macbook Air with a higher res screen…

Indeed, we’ve heard both of these separately already. 

• Reply 4 of 111
    I thought that the retina was as high as was visible to our eyes? Why go higher unless your in a specs war?
  • Reply 5 of 111
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I think it's pretty brave to say he's wrong given his track record (in the comments not the article).

Apple must be planning to replace the 11" and 13" Air will a single 12" model that is even more insanely thin, and makes Google (and all the others that have copied the Air over the last two years) look totally out of date.
  • Reply 6 of 111
    If Apple increased the pixel density, it would go to 3:1 or 4:1. If it went to 3:1 from the current 2:1 then the % increase would be 125%, not 40%

That's assuming they keep the screen dimensions and layout space the same, as they did when they stepped up to Retina.
  • Reply 7 of 111
    inklinginkling Posts: 768member
    Given that I'm having trouble deciding between 11" and 13", a 12" sounds great particularly with a high-res display.
  • Reply 8 of 111
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    rob bonner wrote: »
    I thought that the retina was as high as was visible to our eyes? Why go higher unless your in a specs war?

Not just higher, but only 30-40% higher despite every single Retina device has been exactly 2x over the previous model. The variances of that would likely be the Retina MBA which on the 13" model would likely drop the high-res display (remember that as an option?) to match doubling of the 13" MBP and the iMacs since 2x 27" is a lot more than 4K and 1.5x is exactly 4K, and these are Macs, which run a windowed OS until the iPad. The only thing that seems to have any logical validity on the technical side is the 12" MacBook but is that really needed with the MBAs being priced where the old MacBooks were?
  • Reply 9 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I think it's pretty brave to say he's wrong given his track record (in the comments not the article).

Apple must be planning to replace the 11" and 13" Air will a single 12" model that is even more insanely thin, and makes Google (and all the others that have copied the Air over the last two years) look totally out of date.

That was my first thought, too. Retire the MBA form factor and, as you say, combine the 11" and 13" models into the 12" new form factor.

The new form factor being similar style to the MBP, but way thinner...allowing for a larger, longer lasting battery. Just brilliant! :)

As far as iPads; I could see myself with a Mini for out & about, traveling, etc., and a 12"-13" iPad at home for the couch. I think I would rather have that than a 20# desktop in my den.

• Reply 10 of 111
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    ascii wrote: »

That's how I would have called it, assuming he's just making stuff up and isn't claiming this is inside info. The 13" MBP is now pretty damn thin that it might simply not be worth keeping the 13" MBA. The 11" MBA has a certain appeal but being 16:9 it was never something I would consider.
  • Reply 11 of 111

"An iPod, a Phone, and an Internet Communicator"

"A Macbook, an iPad, a High-Res 12" Display"

Are you getting it? =)

• Reply 12 of 111
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,631member

MacPad.  A7-based (or A8).  As powerful as a desktop, but without the desktop OS.   

Think about it.

MacPad.

Consumers love the iPad, right?  Easy to use, right?  No file system to worry about.  Data is tied to each app, but things like photos, videos, etc. are available between apps.   

MacPad. 

Maybe it'll be a touch-screen Macbook, but my guess is the keyboard will be in a form-factor we haven't seen yet.  Detachable like the Surface?  Maybe, but better.  Foldable like a keyboard case?  Probably not.  Fold out keyboard?  Slide out from behind like an old-school texting phone?

MacPad.

Perhaps, it will also have a version of OSX Brokeback Mountain 10.10.0 that runs on the A7/A8.  

• Reply 13 of 111
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

MacPad.  A7-based (or A8).  As powerful as a desktop, but without the desktop OS.   

So an iPad. Since it isn’t a “Mac” without OS X.

Maybe itll be a touch-screen Macbook

[screenshot of whatever Apple keynote it was with the laptop, a hand reaching out to the screen, and a giant ‘NO’ sign over it]

• Reply 14 of 111
    - A new Macbook Air with a higher res screen also makes sense, but perhaps that is also a 13" high-res screen.
    The 13" might be too expensive to produce in a high-res format.
  • Reply 15 of 111
    rob bonner wrote: »
    Well supposedly a retina on iPad is maybe 20 pixels from it(ppi) so a resolution 3 times the previous would be ok.
    inkling wrote: »
    Given that I'm having trouble deciding between 11" and 13", a 12" sounds great particularly with a high-res display.
    Not really, common sizes for a laptop are 11,13,15,17; apple had all of those last year, I think when they release a IPad 12-13 inch IPad they will kill the 11 inch Mac book air, make a thinner bezel $1000 13 inch, maybe so it is 13, 15 inch on both only?
  • Reply 16 of 111
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Ah, I'll just wait to see what Apple announces. I'm almost getting tired of listening to the various rumors. They either take the fun out of the announcement or they are wrong, so I'll just wait and see for myself what they are going to announce on announcement date.
  • Reply 17 of 111
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I'll go along with this. I see the 11" MBA as way too small. Its basically the next gen netbook IMO. The 13" is nice, but maybe a 12" is the happy medium and they only have to produce 1 ultra-thin laptop that replaces both the 11" and 13" MBA, probably the 13" MacBook Pro (non-retina) as well. 

• Reply 18 of 111
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob Bonner View Post

Good point, but it is based on average vision and the distance one is from the screen. If you up the resolution, one can be closer to the screen, and have better than average vision and the screen would still be considered Retina. 

• Reply 19 of 111
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

Sheesh, forget iPad 6...I just want to see an iPad mini w/ retina display on the 22nd.  2014 can take care of itself :-/

• Reply 20 of 111
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Contrary to recent rumors, he doesn't expect Apple to launch a 12-inch iPad next year.

Maybe they found a 12" hi-res IPS display in the supply chain and assumed it was meant for an iPad but instead was meant for a Macbook. They'd have been able to tell by the aspect ratio but that info might not have been passed on.

The 12" G4 Powerbook was one of my favorite form factors and it makes a lot of sense to merge the 11" and 13" into a single model and drop the Air label so that it's just Macbook and Macbook Pro again. I'd actually have preferred that they moved to 14" displays and just shrink the bezels (13.3" moves to 14.0") so the lineup would be:

14" Macbook, Intel ULT 15W, integrated graphics, scales to 1440x900 either natively or via high-res panel, $999
    14" Macbook Pro, Intel ULT 28W, Iris (Pro), same display as Macbook or if the Macbook wasn't a Retina display, this one would be, $1299
    15" Macbook Pro, quad-i7 55W+ with Iris Pro, possibly have 750M options, $1899

The vast majority of laptop buyers go out looking for a 14" or 15" laptop. When they see those $500-600 14" PC Ultrabooks and laptops, at least a $999 14" Macbook with better build quality, software, display etc can come into consideration, unlike an 11" or even 12" model.

They like to have an upsell to the higher models though and this could have the opposite effect. Plus, it seems like displays must be charged by the inch so 14" would raise costs more than going to 12". The smallest Air is 11.6" and the larger one is 13.3" so 12.4" is in between.

The Air was updated in June so the new design can be shown off at WWDC. I'm not much of a fan of the clamshell shape of the Air but if they have to design it that way to get it thin, so be it. I prefer the style of the MBP and would rather it was just wedge-shaped for the Macbook.

It might be time for them to consider lower priced CPUs too. The current entry model uses the i5-4250U and it costs $342. They obviously need powerful integrated graphics so that the machine can handle high resolution displays so some of the really cheap CPUs wouldn't be worthwhile but Intel must be able to come up with a CPU closer to the $200 mark that has reasonable graphics power and the CPU power would be fine now. This would cut the retail cost by nearly $200 to get a $799 12" Macbook, which would be great for students.