iPhone 5s takes 64% of Apple's smartphone sales, 5c with 27%, survey finds

1356

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 113
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post



    "The new data also suggests that the iPhone 5c is not carving out a larger share of overall iPhone sales than the iPhone 4S managed last year, when it was the company's $100-on-contract handset."



    There hasn't been much evidence yet that the 5c was a "great move" unless I've missed a lot.

     

    I think most of the press haven't got the raison d'être of the 5c.

     

    Apple wanted to keep the last year iPhone 5 on production chain but without monopolizing the iPhone 5s fab.  Indeed, the 5c is produce at lower cost and faster speed but more importantly on a parallel production, like the 4s. This is the only way Apple could meet the demand.

  • Reply 42 of 113
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 23,302member
    bigmac2 wrote: »
    I think most of the press haven't got the raison d'être of the 5c.

    Apple wanted to keep the last year iPhone 5 on production chain but without monopolizing the iPhone 5s fab.  Indeed, the 5c is produce at lower cost and faster speed but more importantly on a parallel production, like the 4s. This is the only way Apple could meet the demand.

    Why not just use the 5 as it was then?
  • Reply 43 of 113

    So the questions I have are...

     

    1. How many of iPhone 5C buyers would have purchased the 5S anyways if the 5C didn't exist?

     

    2. How many 5C buyers are return iPhone buyers?

     

    3. How many iPhone 5C buyers are first time iPhone users either from another mobile platform, or just new mobile buyers in general?

     

    4. What is the cannibalization rate, if any?

     

    5. Why did people choose the 5S over the 5C? Price? Features? Appearance? Materials used?

     

    I think these are the more important questions to ask rather than get all up in arms over the numbers. 

     

    To these people who are bashing the 5C over the numbers, what type of numbers are you looking for? 50/50? 40/60 (C/S)? If the 5C were selling anywhere close the 5S I think there would be some issues and people would be whining about that then. 

     

    Of course these are all questions we'll probably never know the answers to, but I think is what people should be asking themselves. 

  • Reply 44 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress0660 View Post

     

    So the questions I have are...

     

    1. How many of iPhone 5C buyers would have purchased the 5S anyways if the 5C didn't exist?

     

    2. How many 5C buyers are return iPhone buyers?

     

    3. How many iPhone 5C buyers are first time iPhone users either from another mobile platform, or just new mobile buyers in general?

     

    4. What is the cannibalization rate, if any?

     

    5. Why did people choose the 5S over the 5C? Price? Features? Appearance? Materials used?

     

    I think these are the more important questions to ask rather than get all up in arms over the numbers. 

     

    To these people who are bashing the 5C over the numbers, what type of numbers are you looking for? 50/50? 40/60 (C/S)? If the 5C were selling anywhere close the 5S I think there would be some issues and people would be whining about that then. 

     

    Of course these are all questions we'll probably never know the answers to, but I think is what people should be asking themselves. 


     

    Honestly... with all the effort that Apple is putting into the 5c... I would expect 7/33/60 at the very least.

  • Reply 45 of 113
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

    Has anyone seen the new AT&T pricing on iPhone?

     


    • $0 down payment!

    • $0 activation fee!

    • $0 upgrade!

    • No financing fee



       

    http://www.att.com/wireless/iphone/

  • Reply 46 of 113
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post





    Why not just use the 5 as it was then?

     

    Gatorguy, that is an easy one.  They upped the specs just a little for two reasons (which could be an and/or situation):

     

    1. To give the appearance of a new phone.  You have seen how many people bash the 5C because it is basically a repackaged 5.  Could you imagine the outrage if it were exactly the same internals?

     

    2. The older parts were more expensive to acquire, so they used more accessible parts that were slightly newer.

  • Reply 47 of 113
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post





    I was replying to TBell's assumed numbers.

     

     

    I was just using the numbers of the less than clear  article. ;)

  • Reply 48 of 113
    The 5c is just a 5 with a colorful shell.

    So right now all the people who already have a 5 (most likely less than a year old 5) wouldn't be interested in the 5c really unless they really really wanted color.

    The fact that the "middle" tier of iPhone still increased year over year is probably significant.

    Also the fact that the 2 year old 4S is still selling well is also impressive, considering the new iPhones appeal...

    I think it's like this (noting I am not an "expert" and Indont know anyone on the inside not do Inwork for any special company who builds iPhones):

    Apple knew exactly how many aluminum iPhone chassis they could produce - and there was now way they could make enough to support two models of iPhone with aluminum chassis. So instead they took the guts of their "old" 5 and put them in a pretty nice plastic body so that they could focus all of their aluminum capacity on the flagship 5S.

    That's it. That's all. If they had kept the 5 in an aluminum body they never would have been able to produce near enough to meet demand (heck - they're having difficulty just making one aluminum phone fast enough for customers). Imagine how bad the wait times would be if the iPhone 5S had another 27% of demand added to it...
  • Reply 49 of 113
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,383member

    I don't know if Apple is "shocked" by the numbers or if it's a bad thing.  The 5S is the more expensive model and if they would have done any differently if they just lowered the price of the iPhone 5 instead of the 5C.

  • Reply 50 of 113

    I'd still like to see what the holiday numbers are for the 5C. With a lot of people getting phones as Christmas gifts in previous years, there are a lot of people who aren't able to upgrade their phones yet.  This is something else that isn't taken into play with the numbers. 

  • Reply 51 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post





    Why not just use the 5 as it was then?

     

    I think machining the 5-5s aluminium casing one at the time with CNC machine is what constraining the 5s production.  

     

    Plastic molded casing can be produce at much greater speed.  

  • Reply 52 of 113
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post





    IF the numbers are fairly accurate (big IF IMO) it would only be a 4% increase despite a whole lotta Apple advertising and promotion of the 5c. I'd think you'd be more likely to see that as a disappointing increase considering the efforts in promoting it.

     

     

    I doubt the numbers are only 4% as well, but even if Apple sells the same amount of 5Cs as it did 4Ss I would still see the 5C as a positive move by Apple. Releasing the iPhone 5C instead of continuing to sell the iPhone 5 freed up manufacturing resources shared by both the 5S and 5 to just be used for the iPhone 5S. Image the delay for 5Ss if Apple was still making the 5. The 5C also has higher margins than the iPhone 5 so Apple still makes more money if it sells the same amount of 5C as its did 4Ss. 

     

    I also don't see the iPhone 5C doing as well with the folks who want the latest and greatest immediately. I think Apple will move a lot of them though. My girlfriend got one. There are a  lot of companies offering zero down deals on the iPhone 5C. 

  • Reply 53 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post





    Why not just use the 5 as it was then?

     

    Because its too close the 5S design. Its also hard to manufacturer in mass quantities and I think Apple wanted a phone that was easier to manufacturer in mass quantities. The 5C isn't necessarily cheaper to make. From what I've read its only about $10 or less cheaper to make an iPhone 5C vs the iPhone 5S (I assume the 5S is similar to the 5 in build price). 

     

    I also think it would be hard to sell the 5 at $99 and then sell the 5S at $199. I believe it would confuse customers.

  • Reply 54 of 113
    Quote:



    Originally Posted by valkraider View Post



    The fact that the "middle" tier of iPhone still increased year over year is probably significant.

     

    It's not actually a fact.

     

    I was reading another article about an iPhone survey (USA only, again) done by this company and it said they took less than 500 "qualified" people out of a pool of 6500 for their survey.

     

    Stats majors will be able to calculate the error rate, I can't. I would imagine, though, that it would be quite high.

  • Reply 55 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress0660 View Post

     

     

    Because its too close the 5S design. Its also hard to manufacturer in mass quantities and I think Apple wanted a phone that was easier to manufacturer in mass quantities. The 5C isn't necessarily cheaper to make. From what I've read its only about $10 or less cheaper to make an iPhone 5C vs the iPhone 5S (I assume the 5S is similar to the 5 in build price). 

     

    I think it would be hard to sell the 5 at $99 and then sell the 5S at $199. I believe it would confuse customers.


     

    Apple sold the 4 and the 4s alongside each other in 2011.

  • Reply 56 of 113
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

     

     

    I think machining the 5-5s aluminium casing one at the time with CNC machine is what constraining the 5s production.  

     

    Plastic molded casing can be produce at much greater speed.  


     

     

    That is my view as well. The casing for the iPhone 5 and 5S is a slow and expensive process. Moreover, the same equipment is used to build both. If Apple was selling both the iPhone 5 and 5S, Apple would have a hard time meeting demand for both. 

  • Reply 57 of 113
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

     

     

    Apple sold the 4 and the 4s alongside each other in 2011.


     

    Citation needed...

  • Reply 58 of 113
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

     

     

     

    That is my view as well. The casing for the iPhone 5 and 5S is a slow and expensive process. Moreover, the same equipment is used to build both. If Apple was selling both the iPhone 5 and 5S, Apple would have a hard time meeting demand for both. 


     

    Exactly!

  • Reply 59 of 113
    I would have bought one except for the fugly colors, black would have been my choice, and lack of finger print scanner. Seems like a like functional iPhone 5 replacement. But personally I think they could have picked better colors. That and IMHO the price should have been $50 on contract. That way, they could have been free when wallyworld and worstbuy put them on sale.
  • Reply 60 of 113
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

     

     

    Apple sold the 4 and the 4s alongside each other in 2011.


     

     

    Yes, but the amount of demand was lower. Apple also has always said it could have sold more of both the iPhone 5 and 5S on opening weekend if it could build them faster.  

Sign In or Register to comment.