iPhone 5s takes 64% of Apple's smartphone sales, 5c with 27%, survey finds

Comments

• Reply 61 of 113
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fh-ace View Post

I would have bought one except for the fugly colors, black would have been my choice, and lack of finger print scanner. Seems like a like functional iPhone 5 replacement. But personally I think they could have picked better colors. That and IMHO the price should have been $50 on contract. That way, they could have been free when wallyworld and worstbuy put them on sale.

You're obviously not the target market for this phone then...

• Reply 62 of 113
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:

I would have bought one except for the fugly colors, black would have been my choice, and lack of finger print scanner. Seems like a like functional iPhone 5 replacement. But personally I think they could have picked better colors. That and IMHO the price should have been $50 on contract. That way, they could have been free when wallyworld and worstbuy put them on sale.

I think the blue is pretty nice, and does it matter when most people use a case? I have seen a few companies offering them for zero dollars down. T-Mobile is one. 

• Reply 63 of 113
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I think the blue is pretty nice, and does it matter when most people use a case? I have seen a few companies offering them for zero dollars down. T-Mobile is one. 

I have a green one and I really like it. I think it looks very cool with the black Apple case for it. Black and florescent green looks really nice IMO. 

• Reply 64 of 113
    Quote:

You know this is where the 5c strategy pay off. By having a new hippie lower phone targeted for common market, it made the higher end 5s even more desirable for high end user.  Both phones will find their market.  

• Reply 65 of 113
    Quote:

Yes, but the amount of demand was lower. Apple also has always said it could have sold more of both the iPhone 5 and 5S on opening weekend if it could build them faster.  

That wasn't the point. The other commenter said that if the 5 and 5s were together it would be confusing. In the past it appears that Apple didn't seem to worry about confusion. Didn't the v3 models sell together as well?

(... and, to the other person who replied to my comment, why the hell would a citation be needed... it's a fact, the 4 sold alongside the 4s)

• Reply 66 of 113
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

That wasn't the point. The other commenter said that if the 5 and 5s were together it would be confusing. In the past it appears that Apple didn't seem to worry about confusion. Didn't the v3 models sell together as well?

(... and, to the other person who replied to my comment, why the hell would a citation be needed... it's a fact, the 4 sold alongside the 4s)

Lets not get all upset because someone called you out on something. There's no citation that it didn't confuse customers. 

• Reply 67 of 113
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So basically what this survet says is early adopters are buying the flagship device. Wow color me shocked.

Wrong - it means Apple has failed in its expectations to have the "budget" 5C as its biggest-selling phone; instead, it's gonna be sitting in inventories all over the world because no one could give a crap about it.

And some of the geniuses around here were still asking me for "facts" about my negative statements concerning the 5C - early price cuts, less than 1/3 of sales even though the flagship model is way more expensive...this means weak demand and nothing else. 

In fact, this reminds of Apple's dark years when it completely miscalculated demand for the PowerBook, not being able to fulfil orders as it should have...and Cook, the world's former "best COO", does it again...pathetic.

• Reply 68 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

My apologies. I do not agree consumers would be confused any more than they would have been with the 4 and 4S. I, however, think the 5C is a good move on Apple's part for the other reasons mentioned. Moreover, do not forget display space. If you go to a Verizon or AT&T store, generally speaking, only the latest models get display space. Apple's move likely garner it more display space in stores. 

• Reply 69 of 113
    Last year's 4S, 23% of 5 million or so - say 1.3 million units
    This year's 5C, 27% of 9 million - 2.4 million units
    Increase in sales - 84% ((2.4-1.3)/1.3*100)

Of course, the rise in sales in the opening weekend is partly due to additional markets, and we don't know if the ratios cited from a US based study will apply at all to the China market. I would imagine though that Apple is pretty happy with the 5C sales vs the 4S last year, particularly if as seems likely the margins are higher.
  • Reply 70 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

Wrong - it means Apple has failed in its expectations to have the "budget" 5C as its biggest-selling phone; instead, it's gonna be sitting in inventories all over the world because no one could give a crap about it.

And some of the geniuses around here were still asking me for "facts" about my negative statements concerning the 5C - early price cuts, less than 1/3 of sales even though the flagship model is way more expensive...this means weak demand and nothing else. 

In fact, this reminds of Apple's dark years when it completely miscalculated demand for the PowerBook, not being able to fulfil orders as it should have...and Cook, the world's former "best COO", does it again...pathetic.

So, now the iPhone 5S is way more expensive? LOL. I thought it was not cheap enough in relation to the iPhone 5S. The reality is Apple has only been selling the phone for about a month. Check back in after the Christmas Quarter. 

• Reply 71 of 113
    Quote:

I think you get it wrong, what killed Apple before SJ and TC era was having to much concurrent production models and too much unsold inventory, TC geniuses was to cut inventory down from 60 days to 1 day.  Of course ever since Apple has always play on the line of having just the right production level to met the demand.   As a consumer, you may find it frustrating, as a multi billion dollars corps, you will find it genius. 

• Reply 72 of 113
    Quote:

So, now the iPhone 5S is way more expensive? LOL. I thought it was not cheap enough in relation to the iPhone 5S. The reality is Apple has only been selling the phone for about a month. Check back in after the Christmas Quarter. 

Make it "more expensive" for the 5S and not "cheap enough" for the 5C...is that clear now?

• Reply 73 of 113
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

I think you get it wrong, what killed Apple before SJ and TC era was having to much concurrent production models and too much unsold inventory, TC geniuses was to cut inventory down from 60 days to 1 day.  Of course ever since Apple has always play on the line of having just the right production level to met the demand.   As a consumer, you may find it frustrating, as a multi billion dollars corps, you will find it genius. 

Read about the PowerBook debacle and check back here (a great machine demanded by many but with insufficient supply at least until much later); I am not even talking about the ridiculous Performa/LC/Quadra situation. 

• Reply 74 of 113
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    brlawyer wrote: »

Don't you have a Galaxy phone you can get off on?

Apple never said the 5C is a "budget" iPhone. It's just lower cost. The fact that it "only" sold 1/3 the qty than the 5S is amazing since it outpaces Sammy's flagship (at least in the US) and the 5S is the flagship iPhone. Also fact: people line up for the latest and greatest.
  • Reply 75 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daijones View Post

of course, the rise in sales in the opening weekend is partly due to additional markets

Not likely true. If a company can only build a certain amount of a product that is in high demand, the amount of markets is irrelevant to how many it can sell. For example, last year Apple sold 5 million in its opening weekend. This was not because it could not sell more, it was because that was all the inventory it had available. If it had another 4 million available last year in its opening weekend, it might have still sold them, without or without China. 

The amount of markets Apple makes available is likely determined by the inventory it has to sell. Does anyone believe if Apple took away China away, Apple still would not have sold 9 million? It added China because thanks to the 5C, it had more inventory on hand at launch. 

• Reply 76 of 113
    Quote:

Read about the PowerBook debacle and check back here (a great machine demanded by many but with insufficient supply at least until much later); I am not even talking about the ridiculous Performa/LC/Quadra situation. 

Which PowerBook debacle you are talking about? The slow G3, The hinge craking G4 Ti?, the stalled in time G4 Alu? Could you give me a reference please? I don't remember any production problems in the Performa/LC era, in that time Apple has the opposite problems of being unable to sold what they produce.

• Reply 77 of 113
    Quote:

Make it "more expensive" for the 5S and not "cheap enough" for the 5C...is that clear now?

Not really, but it is not important. Riddle me this: Why did Apple take the unprecedented step of raising its SEC guidance after the first week of iPhone sales? That does not seem like the actions of a company concerned about not selling enough of something. Whatever its expectations were, they became higher after the 5C and 5S went on sale. 

• Reply 78 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress0660 View Post

Lets not get all upset because someone called you out on something. There's no citation that it didn't confuse customers. 

What?

Give it a rest. Precedent says that Apple wasn't worried about confusion in the past.

Citation. Sheesh. I guess everyone needs a citation now for every possible thing they can say on here.

Show me your citation to the contrary. How about precedent.

My precedent trumps your hollow citation request.

• Reply 79 of 113
    Quote:

My apologies. I do not agree consumers would be confused any more than they would have been with the 4 and 4S. I, however, think the 5C is a good move on Apple's part for the other reasons mentioned. Moreover, do not forget display space. If you go to a Verizon or AT&T store, generally speaking, only the latest models get display space. Apple's move likely garner it more display space in stores. 

More display space. Hmmmm... good point. Last year and the year before and the year before etc... all I saw was the latest iPhone being advertised. This year I don't see any adverts at all for the 5s but I sure see a lot of brightly colored posters for the 5c.

• Reply 80 of 113
    adrayven wrote: »
    Example of how bad blog writers have gotten.

"The new data also suggests that the iPhone 5c is not carving out a larger share of overall iPhone sales than the iPhone 4S managed last year, when it was the company's $100-on-contract handset.

With the iPhone 5c taking 27 percent this year, it's just slightly ahead of the 23 percent share the iPhone 4S captured during the same period in 2012, just after the launch of the iPhone 5."

Ok, in the first paragraph, you say the 5c is NOT carving out a larger share..

The in the very next paragraph, you say, based on numbers, it's nabbed an extra 4% and HAS carved out a larger share.. Either you're intentionally trying to put a bad spin on this or incompetent.. I say both.. heh

It basically says whatever one wants to believe. :)