Retina iPad mini expected to be slightly thicker to accommodate bigger battery

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
The next-generation iPad mini will be a fraction of a millimeter thicker and feature a larger battery to offset the power requirements of its rumored Retina display, according to accessory manufacturers at a major Hong Kong electronics trade show.

iPad mini and iPad 5 cases
Cases for the second-generation iPad mini and fifth-generation iPad | Source: Macotakara.jp

The second-generation iPad mini will grow from 7.2 millimeters thick to 7.5 millimeters thick and gain 0.2 millimeters in width, say iPad case makers interviewed by Japanese website Macotakara. The interviews took place at China Sourcing Fair 2013 in Hong Kong, an annual trade show for manufacturers of all stripes.

The rumored changes are similar to those made for Apple's third generation full-size iPad, the first to feature a Retina screen. The iPad 3 gained 0.6 millimeters over the iPad 2.

iPad mini and iPad 5 cases
A purported second-generation iPad mini case with a rear microphone cutout | Source: Macotakara.jp

Alongside the added girth, cases for Apple's new 7.9-inch tablet are pictured with a cutout for a rear-facing microphone, a feature which showed up on leaked pre-release parts for the original iPad mini but did not make it into the shipping product.

Apple is expected to release a slimmer, lighter full-size iPad and a Retina display-equipped iPad mini at a rumored Oct. 22 media event. Both devices are also said to sport iPhone-equivalent 8-megapixel rear cameras.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    [B]iPad Mini 2[/B]? What if they call it the [B]iPad Mini S[/B]? (maybe with a forward slash in it)
  • Reply 2 of 42
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    A fraction of a millimeter thicker? Low availability? Apple is doomed! This iPad will fail!

No seriously this will be the best selling tablet in the history of the world. My prediction.
  • Reply 3 of 42
    This is the product refresh I've been waiting for since it debuted. Non-Retina display at this size isn't optimal. Hoping, if announced, these will start shipping before Black Friday.
  • Reply 4 of 42
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    It's not a 7" tablet, it's 8". Big difference especially given the 4:3 aspect ratio
  • Reply 5 of 42
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

It's not a 7" tablet, it's 8". Big difference especially given the 4:3 aspect ratio

Agreed.  If I remember correctly, the iPad mini displays, on average, 40% more content than the typical 7" tablet, which is a big deal.  A 4:3 aspect ratio is optimal for the vast majority of tablets uses, with the only exception being video.

• Reply 6 of 42
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Does this mean retina is a go then?
  • Reply 7 of 42
    I thought retina mini wasn't going to ship till Q1 2014 or something. If so, I should sell my current one ahead of time!!
  • Reply 8 of 42
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Does this mean retina is a go then?

Can't say for sure but it looks to be the case.  Personally, my wallet's waiting for the iPad 5 instead of the iPad mini.

• Reply 9 of 42
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

Agreed.  If I remember correctly, the iPad mini displays, on average, 40% more content than the typical 7" tablet, which is a big deal.  A 4:3 aspect ratio is optimal for the vast majority of tablets uses, with the only exception being video.

I don't know why people keep calling it a 7" tablet. Maybe it's because the physical size is comparable to 7" tablets that were available. Not only is the screen much bigger than a typical 7" tablet, it's actually bigger than a typical 8" tablet.

• Reply 10 of 42
    The ipad mini 2 with retina display will destroy the Nexus 7 2nd generation out of the water.
  • Reply 11 of 42
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

That's awesome, great news. 0.2 mm? You won't even notice that. 0.6 mm was barely noticeable on iPad 3, but it was noticeable. 0.2 is almost nonexistent.

• Reply 12 of 42
    dugbugdugbug Posts: 283member

So how solid is the retina rumor?  It can't be as good as the "ipad will use mini form factor bezel".

Im curious what CPU they will go with and if TouchID will make an appearance.

A6X+Retina Display

or

A6+Standard Display

or

A7+Standard Display+TouchID

or

A7X+Retina Display+TouchID (prob not likely)

I tend to think they will keep costs down for the mini, so if retina holds, perhaps it will inherit the A6X.

• Reply 13 of 42
    They are saying this because the iPad 2 became ever so thicker and heavier to be the 3. But that was two processors ago. If the Mini gets the A7/M7 combo it might not need a thicker battery because dado processor might be more efficient
  • Reply 14 of 42
    pmz wrote: »
    That's awesome, great news. 0.2 mm? You won't even notice that. 0.6 mm was barely noticeable on iPad 3, but it was noticeable. 0.2 is almost nonexistent.

The 0.2 or 0.3 mm here or there probably won't make a big difference. I am curious how much the weight might change though. Obviously, the Mini's strength is its size, which enables one-handed operation and a more compact experience. If it suddenly becomes too heavy to comfortably hold in one hand, that could detract from the experience a bit. Retina display would be worth it though IMO.
  • Reply 15 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dugbug View Post

So how solid is the retina rumor?  It can't be as good as the "ipad will use mini form factor bezel".

Im curious what CPU they will go with and if TouchID will make an appearance.

A6X+Retina Display

or

A6+Standard Display

or

A7+Standard Display+TouchID

or

A7X+Retina Display+TouchID (prob not likely)

I tend to think they will keep costs down for the mini, so if retina holds, perhaps it will inherit the A6X.

Nah, Apple is all in on the 64bit bandwagon so no A6 chip. Personally I think they will go A7+Retina but no TouchID. There are talks that the sensor in TouchID is the reason for the limited availability of the 5S, if that's the case I don't see them putting it in the mini. 

• Reply 16 of 42
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    A Retina iPad mini "2" would be nice, if Apple can keep battery life as it is now without making the thing too thick and heavy. Fine. Not a deal-breaker either way for consumers as long as the price stays the same.

But I think the big question is whether or not the iPad mini "2" will have a Touch ID sensor. That would require the A7 or A7X SoC for instant authentication as on the iPhone 5S. And the A7 or A7X would bring the iPad mini "2" up to the same performance level as the iPad 5th gen, because presumably the 5th gen iPad will also get an A7X SoC.

But does Apple really want to boost iPad mini "2" performance so much that it's a small version of the high performance iPad 5th gen? Wouldn't Apple rather keep the iPad mini "2" (and subsequent iPad minis) at the low end of the feature and performance scales by using less-expensive components? And by doing so, could Apple break the $300 barrier for the base iPad mini "2"?

The original iPad mini has the trailing-edge A5 SoC, a part that was originally released in 2011. Apple could put the 2012 non-X A6 into the iPad mini "2" if they don't add a Retina screen and Touch ID sensor. Again, I don't think the mini's lack of a Retina screen is a deal breaker for the average middle-of-the-technology-bell-curve consumer that Apple is targeting. And putting Touch ID only in the flagship iPad 5th gen would be consistent with the iPhone lineup: flagship 5S with Touch ID, low end 5C without.

So I'm guessing that the Retina iPad mini "2" will get the same A6X that the iPad 4th gen now has. And that means 32-bit processing and no Touch ID sensor. Just a wild guess, as always. Next year, Apple's iOS devices will all be 64-bit no matter what happens now. This year, I think the iPad mini "2" will remain 32-bit just as the iPhone 5C did. (But what about the iPod touch and Apple TV?)
  • Reply 17 of 42

If the ipad3 is any indication, then I will be staying far away from the ipad mini2.

• Reply 18 of 42
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

iPad Mini 2? What if they call it the iPad Mini S? (maybe with a forward slash in it)

err... the Mini will most likely be the 'c' of the iPad family.   the 'iPad' is the 's' version

• Reply 19 of 42
    Take my money now! Can't wait to get the mini 2 in my hands!
  • Reply 20 of 42
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    sockrolid wrote: »
    A Retina iPad mini "2" would be nice, if Apple can keep battery life as it is now without making the thing too thick and heavy. Fine. Not a deal-breaker either way for consumers as long as the price stays the same.

But I think the big question is whether or not the iPad mini "2" will have a Touch ID sensor. That would require the A7 or A7X SoC for instant authentication as on the iPhone 5S. And the A7 or A7X would bring the iPad mini "2" up to the same performance level as the iPad 5th gen, because presumably the 5th gen iPad will also get an A7X SoC.

But does Apple really want to boost iPad mini "2" performance so much that it's a small version of the high performance iPad 5th gen? Wouldn't Apple rather keep the iPad mini "2" (and subsequent iPad minis) at the low end of the feature and performance scales by using less-expensive components? And by doing so, could Apple break the $300 barrier for the base iPad mini "2"?

The original iPad mini has the trailing-edge A5 SoC, a part that was originally released in 2011. Apple could put the 2012 non-X A6 into the iPad mini "2" if they don't add a Retina screen and Touch ID sensor. Again, I don't think the mini's lack of a Retina screen is a deal breaker for the average middle-of-the-technology-bell-curve consumer that Apple is targeting. And putting Touch ID only in the flagship iPad 5th gen would be consistent with the iPhone lineup: flagship 5S with Touch ID, low end 5C without.

So I'm guessing that the Retina iPad mini "2" will get the same A6X that the iPad 4th gen now has. And that means 32-bit processing and no Touch ID sensor. Just a wild guess, as always.

I'd love it if Apple had a full sized and mini retina with the same specs (bump up the mini to $399 if they have to) and then a cheaper mini that didn't have retina and all the bells and whistles. Let that be the gateway to iPad. With iPhone there is only one screen size so Apple has to do something to differentiate. With iPad the screen size is the differentiator. Someone shouldn't be "punished" because they prefer 8" over 10" form factor. Really outside of retina and SoC there's not much different between the mini and full size iPad. Apple has never really marketed the full size iPad as a "pro" product. There's nothing it can do that the mini can't except maybe play some graphic intensive games.