Bose enters the streaming territory owned by Sonos

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014

And makes some BIG waves 

http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/wifi_music_systems/index.jsp&intcmp=HPPANEL1 ;

Pandora streaming only right now but more services are coming. 

Airplay support 

NAS support coming 

Lossless supporting coming (ALAC, FLAC) 

Speakers 

SoundTouch 30 - $700 

SoundTouch 20- $400 

SoundTouch Portable - $400 

SoundTouch Acoustimass systems ready 

SoundTouch Digital Amp for existing speakers 

SoundTouch controller 

I was mulling over Sonos or Airplay but this just may be compelling enough because the speakers already support Airplay. 

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Neat but Sonos just released this for 200.00, me want;

• Reply 2 of 5
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member

I've read a few reviews and they've all been positive about the Play 1.    Clearly it is a loss leader 

product but it's really tough to make a decent sounding speaker with networking for sub $200. 

My Libratone Zipp sounds pretty good but it's twice the cost of the Play 1. 

• Reply 3 of 5

From the product description: "[...]It makes listening to your favorite music easier. All around your home. Wirelessly."

You mean like real radio?

I'm sure it's a nice product, but if real radio weren't such a vapid, corporate-controlled wasteland - as it is - would there be a significant need for products like this?  I want our public airwaves back.

-Matt

• Reply 4 of 5
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarroll View Post

From the product description: "[...]It makes listening to your favorite music easier. All around your home. Witlessly."

You mean like real radio?

I'm sure it's a nice product, but if real radio weren't such a vapid, corporate-controlled wasteland - as it is - would there be a significant need for products like this?  I want our public airwaves back.

-Matt

I'm not really sure what you want here, this is a wireless speaker meant for streaming audio from your personal device and media selection. It has nothing to do with the public radio, does anyone actually listen to public radio anymore? With Internet streaming audio and Podcast's for cars and phones I would have thought terrestrial radio is vastly becoming, like TV, a thing of the past.

• Reply 5 of 5

I'm all wired with advertisement-free video and audio (hopefully like everyone else)....just the product description made me think...admittedly on a tangent.  :)

No, people do not listen to radio anymore....and why is that?  Because real radio has been ruined for a long time by its greedy owners.  (If I hadn't been alive to see it before the takeover and gutting, I might be inclined to believe that radio was always like this.)

So what do I want?  I guess for modern commercial radio-owners to ditch their canned format of schlock music, hire DJ's again and let radio be radio instead of a groomed platform for your next schlock artist with a stupid haircut.  Nobody's ever going to listen if it isn't interesting.   And "interesting" usually has a local definition...not one dictated by a schmoo at some distant radio conglomerate.

Don't want much, right?  ;)

-Matt