Apple announces Oct. 22 iPad event: 'We still have a lot to cover'

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Members of the press have been sent invitations to a special Apple product unveiling event scheduled for next Tuesday, Oct. 22, where the company is expected to show off its latest iPad models.

Invite
Apple's Oct. 22 event invitation.

The invitation reveals that the event will be held at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco, Calif. It is scheduled for 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern.

The invitation features the top of the Apple logo, focusing on its "stem." In the background, multiple stem shapes are scattered about in a variety of colors. The invitation teases: "We still have a lot to cover."

Word of Apple's Oct. 22 event first leaked to the media last week. Apple, as usual, waited until exactly one week before its event to send out official invitations.

Though the invitation doesn't explicitly mention the iPad, it's expected that Apple will introduce two new versions of its market leading tablet lineup next week.

The fifth-generation full-size iPad is expected to see an overhauled design making it look more like the iPad mini. It's likely to have thinner side bezels and a slimmer profile, allowing the device to be more portable and lightweight while retaining its 9.7-inch screen.

As for the popular iPad mini, Apple is expected to overhaul the screen to be a high-resolution Retina display, matching the pixel count found on the traditional iPad but packing those pixels into a tinier 7.9-inch display.

AppleInsider will be at the event in San Francisco, and will have live coverage, as well as initial impressions with any new devices.

For an extensive rundown on what to expect, including new iPads, Macs, OS X Mavericks, and other potential surprises, see AppleInsider's in-depth summary.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 118
    iPad Mini 2 for me! :D
  • Reply 2 of 118
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Ah, it's going to be all about covers! I hope they click like the Surface covers!
  • Reply 3 of 118

New iPad with 64 bit iOS7. Slimmer, lighter and with a thinner frame.

And then I'm sold.

• Reply 4 of 118
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    "'We still have a lot to cover'"

Acknowledging the leaked new smart covers.... I see what they did there.

Going to give the next mini a close look. I've an iPad 3 so the new full sized one will be considered but not an auto buy.
  • Reply 5 of 118
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

iPad Mini 2 and iPad 5 for me.  PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do a refreshed Apple TV!

• Reply 6 of 118
    hmmm... "cover"? keyboard cover?
  • Reply 7 of 118
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by clayder View Post

Or music.

• Reply 8 of 118
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by clayder View Post

I know Microsoft did it, so we have to automatically hate it- but a keyboard cover like Microsoft's would be nice.  Mainly because it doesn't require a battery or bluetooth- it just integrates perfectly with the Surface.  In fact, their new keyboard cover actually acts as a battery extender- which is really innovative (yes- a blind squirrel can find a nut).  And if the iPad is truly going to replace a laptop one day, easier typing is the next logical step.

That said, the microsoft cover, while it looks good- doesn't perform as well as I'd like.  Enter Apple- to show them how to do it right.  Not going to be disappointed if they don't release a keyboard cover- but will be excited if they do.

• Reply 9 of 118
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Probably a Burberry - Apple co branded rain coat. A "mac"
  • Reply 10 of 118
    I hope that, in addition to the new iPads, they include a 6th Gen iPod Touch. They used to update once a year until the last cycle took two years; I'd like to see a return to the one year refresh.
  • Reply 11 of 118
    "A lot to cover"????

Maybe I am out of my mind, or obsessed with this issue, but that sounds a lot like wearables to me. What other reason could they have to use the word cover?
  • Reply 12 of 118

OBVIOUSLY the Mac Pro is available in all the colors in the invite.

Originally Posted by JONOROM View Post

Maybe I am out of my mind, or obsessed with this issue, but that sounds a lot like wearables to me. What other reason could they have to use the word cover?

Because wearables cover nothing? Because they still have a ton of promised products to release this year? 

• Reply 13 of 118
    As long as it's not the iWatch.
  • Reply 14 of 118
    "We still have a lot to cover." A reference to the redesigned iPad cover? Sure. But it also feels like a post-Steve version of "...one more thing."
  • Reply 15 of 118

I'm not a fan of a slimmer frame on the full-sized iPad, but as long as it's 64 bit and has Touch ID I'm on board.  Adding a keyboard to the Smart Cover a-la the Microsoft Surface, could be great if they've found a way to improve on what's already been done.

• Reply 16 of 118
    Obviously, this will be all about home furnishings and the stunning new Apple plastic sofa protectors.
  • Reply 17 of 118
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The invitation features the top of the Apple logo, focusing on its "stem." In the background, multiple stem shapes are scattered about in a variety of colors. The invitation teases: "We still have a lot to cover."

Where I grew up we called that thing a "leaf", as in "the leaf doesn't fall far from the tree".

• Reply 18 of 118
    [/I]
    OBVIOUSLY the Mac Pro is available in all the colors in the invite.
    Because wearables cover nothing? Because they still have a ton of promised products to release this year? 
    Almost every Apple event announcement includes a "hint" of what will be presented, as you surely know. You are suggesting that, for the first time, we should take a phrase like this literally. Good luck with that.

And as you also know, Apple is hiring executives like crazy, exclusively from the fashion and clothing industries. That is the bigger "hint" that wearables are in Apple's future.
  • Reply 19 of 118
    jonorom wrote: »
    [/I]
    Almost every Apple event announcement includes a "hint" of what will be presented, as you surely know. You are suggesting that, for the first time, we should take a phrase like this literally. Good luck with that.

And as you also know, Apple is hiring executives like crazy, exclusively from the fashion and clothing industries. That is the bigger "hint" that wearables are in Apple's future.

You must be new here.
  • Reply 20 of 118

A lot to cover- a larger screen?