Chevy bringing Apple's Siri Eyes Free to six more 2014 models

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Chevy is giving car buyers even more options to access Apple's digital assistant, as the automaker announced on Tuesday that Siri Eyes Free support will be available in six more of its 2014 models.

Citing a "remarkable" customer response to Siri Eyes Free, Chevy revealed that the hands-free iPhone operation feature would be built in to the company's 2014 Camaro, Cruze, Equinox, Malibu, SS, and Volt. Siri integration will mean that customers with iPhones running iOS 6 or iOS 7 will be able to use those devices to make voice-activated, hands-free calls to their Contacts, play music from their iTunes libraries, send iMessages, and add Calendar appointments.

Chevy was the first automaker to integrate Siri Eyes Free into its vehicles, debuting the feature in its Spark and Sonic models in February of this year.

While Chevy was the first, eight other automakers initially signed on to integrate Siri compatibility into their vehicles in June of last year. Honda enabled Siri compatibility into its 2013 Accord and Acura models, making the Apple digital assistant a dealer-installed option for buyers.

Other automakers building in compatibility with Siri include General Motors, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Land Rover, Jaguar, Audi, Toyota, and Chrysler.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Will Apples competition chase them¿
  • Reply 2 of 26
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    I'm not a GM fan but good for them. This is going to be a game changer. I'm sure contracts are involved but Ford needs to dump its association with Microsoft ASAP. Sync was pretty cool on my 2010 Edge but almost four years have past and the new Sync has only gotten worse. Other companies like VW don't have the resources or experiences designing modern user interfaces. Everyone wins (except MS of course). Hell open it up, let this technology work with either Android or iOS and let MS play if they want to.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    This kind of makes me sad. My Chevy Sonic is a 2012 and the 2013s got the compatibility. :(
  • Reply 4 of 26
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Will Apples competition chase them¿

I hope so, safer roads would be a nice perk.

My car has had voice activated calling for about eight years and it annoys the hell out of me (and many others) whenever I see someone 'bozo driving' because they are on a phone or doing that occasional 'phone swerve' every few seconds when they can be bothered to look up at the road.

Almost as annoying is how many friends I have that have the feature but don't use it.  They just never bother to set up the bluetooth connection and/or they can't be bothered to port their contact list over and their systems don't do it automatically.

Hopefully Siri will change that and people actually start using it.  Texters still gonna text though =(

• Reply 5 of 26
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Will this stop a Samdroid troll from buying any Siri enabled vehicle? I know we have quite few Samdroid trolls on AI. Let's hear from you guys and gals.

• Reply 6 of 26
    lkrupp wrote: »
    Will this stop a Samdroid troll from buying any Siri enabled vehicle? I know we have quite few Samdroid trolls on AI. Let's hear from you guys and gals.
    Agreed. I love Apple. I love AppleInsider. I cannot stand Samsung, Android, or anything Androi related. Their phones are cheap, their operating systems are scattered (meaning not everyone is on one OS, there's like 50 scattered across the world unlike Apple, where's there is about 3.) But, this is NOT SamsungInsider, therefore, I don't like anyone posting on APPLEInsider who doesn't love Apple. It's just not right.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

I think I qualify as a 'Samdroid troll' on these forums, but generally consider myself a 'moderate.'  I think Android has some great functionality, but is often missing some of the polish of Apple's offerings.  I have no brand loyalty whatsoever and am 'price insensitive' (at least at the phone level)- so I'll switch sides in a heartbeat for whatever works best for me.  I think Apple's products work well and are polished, but as far as corporate behavior I lump Apple in with being on par with the rest of them (no worse, but no better).  Mostly screen size and no widgets keep me from having an Apple phone.

I think the number of Samdroid trolls that don't buy a Siri enabled vehicle is going to be pretty small- especially since many of those will also support Android offerings.  I believe the current BMW's rolling off the lines support Android connectivity already so I doubt anyone will go out of their way not to buy them because they also happen to support Siri.

Most people that buy a car or phone don't have a deep love of Samsung and hatred for Apple; nor a deep love of Apple and hatred of Samsung.  That's pretty exclusive to message boards.  They'll just buy the car they like.  The car working with their phone will be 'nifty' for a year or two and be a standard expectation on all cars within a few years.

But I guess the same question can be asked of Apple lovers (is it okay to call you Apple lovers, or do you insist I have to call you 'sheep' to maintain troll status?).

Would you *not* buy a BMW (or other car) simply because they also support Android?

• Reply 8 of 26
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    frood wrote: »
    My car has had voice activated calling for about eight years and it annoys the hell out of me (and many others) whenever I see someone 'bozo driving' because they are on a phone or doing that occasional 'phone swerve' every few seconds when they can be bothered to look up at the road.

That indeed has to stop, even if they think 'it's only for a second'
    Almost as annoying is how many friends I have that have the feature but don't use it.  They just never bother to set up the bluetooth connection and/or they can't be bothered to port their contact list over and their systems don't do it automatically.

I can relate to that. If the units would make it easy and self-explainatory most people would. The fact that we need to copy over our address book to the unit has fail written al over it, in my book.
    Texters still gonna text though =(

That is indeed a sad thing...
  • Reply 9 of 26
    applguyapplguy Posts: 235member
    razorpit wrote: »
    Other companies like VW don't have the resources or experiences designing modern user interfaces.

Really? To name a few VW Group owns VW, Porsche, Audi, Lamborghini, Bentley and Bugatti.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    Quote:

I can relate to that. If the units would make it easy and self-explainatory most people would. The fact that we need to copy over our address book to the unit has fail written al over it, in my book.

That is indeed a sad thing...

Yep.  And I think *that* is where Siri and Apple stand to make the most positive impact.  Being able to get in your car and have it 'just work' without needing to do the setup and porting will be huge in getting people to actually use it.

• Reply 11 of 26

Would love Apple to make Eyes Free a feature on the iPhone. If my phone is across the room I can yell at it and nag without having to run across and hit the home button.

• Reply 12 of 26
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Frood View Post

Would you *not* buy a BMW (or other car) simply because they also support Android?

Actually, I would not if Android was the only option (I currently own a BMW).

In fact, that's the reason I won't (yet) consider a Tesla.

• Reply 13 of 26
    frood wrote: »
    Yep.  And I think *that* is where Siri and Apple stand to make the most positive impact.

Indeed! OT, but they are doing this as well with their Accessibility options. I just watched a WWDC video from 2011 where they were showing the Wearabraille tech. Really cool.

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 14 of 26
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by APPLGUY View Post

Really? To name a few VW Group owns VW, Porsche, Audi, Lamborghini, Bentley and Bugatti.

What does the automotive brands it owns have to do with designing a user interface? By that logic because Hewlett Packard owns the HP, Compaq and Palm brands, to name a few, it should be able to build a great car. I mean they have 330,000 employees right?

• Reply 15 of 26
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Come on Ford!  Why oh why do you have to use Microsoft Sync?

• Reply 16 of 26
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Indeed! OT, but they are doing this as well with their Accessibility options. I just watched a WWDC video from 2011 where they were showing the Wearabraille tech. Really cool.

Not to be insensitive but that guy should get a Richard Harrow type mask.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by APPLGUY View Post

Thank you for proving my point.  Look how bad those systems are today without Apple in the mix.  Why invest millions of dollars in to something which has absolutely no chance of competing with what Apple has to offer.  Plus I would be willing to bet a very high percentage of VAG customers also own iPhone and Apple products.  In this case going it alone is basically competing against your customer's best interests.

• Reply 18 of 26
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    razorpit wrote: »
    .....VAG customers....

They're also known as 'Johns' :lol:
  • Reply 19 of 26
    I am a 2013 accord owner, and the promise of siri eyes free actually contributed a great deal to my purchase. However, Honda has yet to make the option available on any of its 2013 or 2014 vehicles. They did promise it, but it is not yet available as an option, dealer installed or otherwise. Numerous contacts to honda corporate customer service have indicated that they have "no further information available" as to when or if it will ever be made available.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

I only know one blind person, but he's very technology oriented and he's told me that Apple dominates in accesibility for the blind.  According to him it's not even close.