Apple announces Oct. 22 iPad event: 'We still have a lot to cover'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

I know Microsoft did it, so we have to automatically hate it- but a keyboard cover like Microsoft's would be nice.  Mainly because it doesn't require a battery or bluetooth- it just integrates perfectly with the Surface.  In fact, their new keyboard cover actually acts as a battery extender- which is really innovative (yes- a blind squirrel can find a nut).  And if the iPad is truly going to replace a laptop one day, easier typing is the next logical step.

That said, the microsoft cover, while it looks good- doesn't perform as well as I'd like.  Enter Apple- to show them how to do it right.  Not going to be disappointed if they don't release a keyboard cover- but will be excited if they do.

A chap at work is using a Surface Pro as his only work computer now.  At first I felt sympathy for him (!), but he's extremely satisfied with it.  This is a very successful guy by the way, in a very senior position of a very high tech software company, so when he tells me it's a good work solution, I'm happy to believe him.

Playing around with it myself, the keyboard really did make a difference.  I love my iPad, and would probably be able to make it work as my primary work device, but I need a decent keyboard, and I've just not found a Bluetooth option for the iPad that I especially like.

• Reply 22 of 118

Based on the invite it's obvious that Apple will be introducing a new iFootball available in a variety of pastel colors. "We still have a lot to cover" is a reference to the cover 2 or cover 3 defense they will use to keep Samsung from scoring.

• Reply 23 of 118
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pinolo View Post

New iPad with 64 bit iOS7. Slimmer, lighter and with a thinner frame.

And then I'm sold.

Lighter is good, practical. Slimmer and thinner frame ... these changes would influence you from not buying to buying?

• Reply 24 of 118
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Scott Forstall is back and covering a Janis Joplin song.
  • Reply 25 of 118
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Larz2112 View Post

Based on the invite it's obvious that Apple will be introducing a new iFootball available in a variety of pastel colors. "We still have a lot to cover" is a reference to the cover 2 or cover 3 defense they will use to keep Samsung from scoring.

In that case, *Nickel Back" would be the performers at the end of the show?

• Reply 26 of 118
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Larz2112 View Post

Where I grew up we called that thing a "leaf", as in "the leaf doesn't fall far from the tree".

Wonder where that saying stems from .... sorry ...

• Reply 27 of 118
    "we have a lot more to cover"....like your wrist
  • Reply 28 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacKret View Post

"we have a lot more to cover"....like your wrist

Or, not long ago, after the Maps crisis, some butts.

• Reply 29 of 118
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Playing around with it myself, the keyboard really did make a difference.  I love my iPad, and would probably be able to make it work as my primary work device, but I need a decent keyboard, and I've just not found a Bluetooth option for the iPad that I especially like.

Without a doubt- typing anything of substance on an iPad is still a beating compared to a keyboard.  The iPhone I can fly through texting, but even with the split "keyboard" on the iPad- it still takes forever (like hunting a pecking).

Bluetooth is not the most elegant solution- it both uses a battery, and has a slight delay.  The Surface Pro Keyboard is incredible in it's functionality- not as much for responsiveness.  Really amazing that it's used as a battery extender and adds hours to the battery life.  I don't care who you are- that's nice.

• Reply 30 of 118
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Next year will likely see the arrival of a larger iPad. Holding off until then.
  • Reply 31 of 118

Is it possible to make a tic-tac-toe style folding cover that would work as a stand in portrait OR landscape mode? I wouldn't mind seeing that.

As far as the fingerprint ID tech, being that you could use the iPad in either mode (vs a phone which tends to be portrait) the tech would have to be able to recognize your print from all four angles. I'm sure if they include the sensor on the iPad it WILL be smart enough to do this.

Anyone care to speculate as to if the mini will always lag behind the standard iPad as far as CPU/GPU, display and RAM goes? If there are similar specs vs the screen size I wonder if the price point can be kept where it is...

A lot to cover could be reference to a larger iPad, I suppose.  For one that stays on a desk top, counter top, or is otherwise immobile that might work. My over 40 eyes would appreciate it for when I use one at work. 

Fun stuff, we shall see soon enough :)

• Reply 32 of 118
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I don't think cover means wearables but it could have something to do with smart covers or maybe the non retina version of the mini will have color plastic like the 5C. Though we haven't seen a lot of iPad leaks so I'm leaning towards something with smart covers. Apple accessories don't normally leak.
  • Reply 33 of 118
    dilliodillio Posts: 106member
    That's not a stem, it's a leaf.
  • Reply 34 of 118
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Gregory View Post

Anyone care to speculate as to if the mini will always lag behind the standard iPad as far as CPU/GPU, display and RAM goes? If there are similar specs vs the screen size I wonder if the price point can be kept where it is...

I'm guessing we see an A6 and no retina as crazy as that sounds.  I suppose we could see an A6X/Retina- that would be fine too- but I'm hoping for an A7 with Retina- even if that demands a price increase to anywhere between $349-$399.

I am hoping that Apple just jumps head-first into the 64 bit world.  Particularly since iOS 7 is developed for it.  I would be a little disappointed if the mini only had an A6/A6X- although I'd still buy it.

• Reply 35 of 118
    asdasd wrote: »
    +1
  • Reply 36 of 118
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    asdasd wrote: »

"Down on Me"?
  • Reply 37 of 118
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

hmmmm.....

'a lot to cover'

They wouldn't focus their title on just their new covers, but 'a lot' to cover?  A new bigger screen iPad?  or a big screen phone announcement?  That would be 'a lot'?

• Reply 38 of 118
    jpcgjpcg Posts: 114member
    Alright, I am saying it means iWatch with curved display. That's why they focus on that stem that much.
  • Reply 39 of 118
    'We still have a lot to cover'

Maybe Apple is going to fix the HHS.gov website so people can subscribe to insurance coverage from ObamaChaos :D
  • Reply 40 of 118
    You read it here first, folks... Logic for iPad at the announcement.