Apple announces Oct. 22 iPad event: 'We still have a lot to cover'

Comments

• Reply 61 of 118
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    It's easy... Leaves... falling... fall... picking apples... AppleCider!

Apple is starting a line of hard apple cider!!
  • Reply 62 of 118
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

I heard that one analyst said that 'lot' refers to the parking lot at the convention center.  They have 'a lot' to cover.

They will be covering the entire parking lot in iPads, MacPro's, iPhone's etc.

First come, first serve basis, help yourself. 64 item limit per person!

Go!

• Reply 63 of 118

I'm guessing it's the obvious that Apple is talking about in a lot to cover.  A lot of products, that is.  New iPad, iPad mini, MacBook Pro's, Mac Pro, Cinema Display, Mavericks release.

We've already seen the new iPad covers, nothing new or stunning there.  I doubt Apple has figured out a larger iPad, but maybe.  Not sure they need to offer that up - yet.  They can talk up A7 processor and fingerprint scanner and new screens (IGZO maybe) and these things along would be worthwhile for a keynote.  But we'll also hear about the new MacBook's and maybe even the Pro and new ACD too.  It's going to be a long presentation.

• Reply 64 of 118
    larz2112 wrote: »
    Where I grew up we called that thing a "leaf", as in "the leaf doesn't fall far from the tree".

Actually the saying is "the apple never falls far from the tree". But you're right that is a leaf.
  • Reply 65 of 118
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    jonorom wrote: »
    Almost every Apple event announcement includes a "hint" of what will be presented, as you surely know. You are suggesting that, for the first time, we should take a phrase like this literally. Good luck with that.

Last year's event was 'we've got a little more to show you':

That was for the iPad mini. This event could have a larger iPad but it doesn't seem very likely to me.
  • Reply 66 of 118
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Who wrote this article?! Stem? It's not the stem, the apple logo has no stem, the design features the leaf from the apple logo.
  • Reply 67 of 118
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Invite

The invitation features the top of the Apple logo, focusing on its "stem."

It's s leaf, not a stem.

• Reply 68 of 118
    ratsgratsg Posts: 53member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

A chap at work is using a Surface Pro as his only work computer now.  At first I felt sympathy for him (!), but he's extremely satisfied with it.  This is a very successful guy by the way, in a very senior position of a very high tech software company, so when he tells me it's a good work solution, I'm happy to believe him.

Playing around with it myself, the keyboard really did make a difference.  I love my iPad, and would probably be able to make it work as my primary work device, but I need a decent keyboard, and I've just not found a Bluetooth option for the iPad that I especially like.

And to me, that's the difference.  For all practical purposes, the surface is esentially a mini laptop with a touch screen.

But I understand exactly what you are saying regarding the iPad +bluetooth keyboard.

Honestly, I would much rather have a bluetooth->USB adapter where I could plug in my own keyboard of choice.

• Reply 69 of 118
    jonoromjonorom Posts: 293member
    Marvin wrote: »
    Last year's event was 'we've got a little more to show you':

That was for the iPad mini. This event could have a larger iPad but it doesn't seem very likely to me.

Yeah, note "little," prefiguring the Mini.

The hint in this one is "cover," or the phrase "lot to cover." I don't think the hint is the word "still," unless it is a reference to tracking your bio data while moving or still.

Cover = coverage? DirectTV style satellite TV?
  • Reply 70 of 118
    There are a slew out there, and I'll bet my bottom dollar a bunch of those reviewers panning iPad vs whatever that RT / Pro thing was for lack of a keyboard had one or more evaluation gimme samples of the very cover they were opining for.

It's not just a keyboard cover -- there is going to be "more" underneath, probably both screen-wise and A7-wise.

I like the new cover colors, though. I hope they fit my current pad.
  • Reply 71 of 118
    "'We still have a lot to cover'" Well, maybe a larger iPad? Anyway as usual it will be interesting.
  • Reply 72 of 118
    Smart Cover, Retina Display (more pixels), larger iPad (more surface) ....

What will Apple be covering more of?

Perhaps they will be covering more ... products.
    Thank you for a sensible reply, finally.
  • Reply 73 of 118
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    New iPad leather back [I][B]covers[/B][/I] that need to be returned in a week like the colored 5s ones because they stain so easily?
  • Reply 74 of 118
    OBVIOUSLY the Mac Pro is available in all the colors in the invite.
    Because wearables cover nothing? Because they still have a ton of promised products to release this year? 
    Or the other macs they mention. I think the pro for business is least likely of all there devices to be wanted in color. I figure the new Mac book pro might, and the mini. Hope the 6tg gen full IPad is a major improvement since it's been a year and a half.
  • Reply 75 of 118
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    andysol wrote: »
    I'm guessing we see an A6 and no retina as crazy as that sounds.  I suppose we could see an A6X/Retina- that would be fine too- but I'm hoping for an A7 with Retina- even if that demands a price increase to anywhere between $349-$399.
    I really think Apple will seize the day and go 64 bit on all pads. It would be a huge win for them going into the shopping season and really all through most of next year.
    I am hoping that Apple just jumps head-first into the 64 bit world.  Particularly since iOS 7 is developed for it.  I would be a little disappointed if the mini only had an A6/A6X- although I'd still buy it.

I think they will also. 64 bits could be implemented in the Mini with reduced RAM (compared to the next iPad) and maybe without touch ID. I mention RAM because the one thing iPad needs more than a 64 bit chip is RAM. So I'm expecting someplace between 2 & 4 GB of RAM in the next full size iPad.
  • Reply 76 of 118

With the introduction of the new iPad and iPad mini there will be a lot of old iPads just stuffed into our junk drawers or worse yet dumped in the trash. I wanted to help the environment by recycling my old device so I checked Gazelle and got a pretty good offer. After some further research I found a Charity in West Palm Beach FL that is doing the same thing as Gazelle but using the proceeds from their business to help people in need. Looks pretty good to me. Here's the link sell.rebootcharity.org.

• Reply 77 of 118
    A chap at work is using a Surface Pro as his only work computer now.  At first I felt sympathy for him (!), but he's extremely satisfied with it.  This is a very successful guy by the way, in a very senior position of a very high tech software company, so when he tells me it's a good work solution, I'm happy to believe him.

Playing around with it myself, the keyboard really did make a difference.  I love my iPad, and would probably be able to make it work as my primary work device, but I need a decent keyboard, and I've just not found a Bluetooth option for the iPad that I especially like.
    You know Steve Balmer?
  • Reply 78 of 118
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JONOROM View Post

"A lot to cover"????

Maybe I am out of my mind, or obsessed with this issue, but that sounds a lot like wearables to me.

In that case, Phil Schiller has the most to cover.:p 

• Reply 79 of 118

"We've got a lot to cover"... The obvious double meaning: iPads (because of the SmartCovers) and there will a lot of stuff talked about. 

New iWork software? New GarageBand? New Logic for iPad? New games?

• Reply 80 of 118
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Do the leaves in the background refer only to a fall/autumn event or is it something more? And does cover refer to iPad covers? There will be an even bigger clue in there somewhere... "leaves" is also another name for "pages"