New 'flat' iPhoto and GarageBand icons appear in iOS iCloud Settings, hint at app revisions

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
It was discovered on Wednesday that icons for two of Apple's first-party iOS apps were modified to take on the "flat" aesthetic seen in iOS 7, suggesting the software will be updated in the coming weeks.

Icons

As noted by an AppleInsider reader, the revamped icons for iPhoto and GarageBand first appeared in iOS Settings under iCloud's "Storage Management" section. As of this writing, the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch are all showing the new iconography.

Because the graphical assets in the storage management pane are pulled directly from Apple's servers when a user opens the settings menu, it can be guessed that an Apple employee inadvertently uploaded the icons. It is not yet clear if the assets are actually tied to reworked software, though the flat, colored gradient designs are in line with the most recent icons made for bundled iOS 7 apps.

When Apple unveiled iOS 7 in June, it introduced a number of redesigns for pre-installed apps like Photos, Safari, Mail, and Messages, among others. The company's for-pay apps, however, did not receive the same treatment and have yet to changed.

Considering Apple's move to make the iWork suite, iPhoto and iMovie apps free with the purchase of a new iOS device, the appearance of redesigned icons points to a near future update. Icons for the iWork suite and iMovie retained their usual appearance in the Settings menu.

If the first-party software is indeed updated, it is unknown whether they will receive the same overhaul as Apple's built-in apps, which were completely redesigned to match iOS 7's aesthetic. Although free, apps like iPhoto and iMovie still need to be downloaded by new device users, though this too may change after a redesign. It should be noted that GarageBand remains a $4.99 paid app.

On Tuesday, Apple sent out invitations to a special event scheduled for Oct. 22, at which many anticipate the company to reveal a new iPad lineup. While rumors of an app revamp have been all but nonexistent, it is possible that new versions of the iWork suite, as well as iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand and others may debut alongside the tablets.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    It should also be mentioned that at WWDC the presenter for iWork while taking about iWork in the cloud- mentioned that they would be updating iWork soon. So I would assume this is it. Can't wait.
  • Reply 2 of 60
    Garage band and iPhoto are not part of iWorks. That means 5 apps being updated, including these two.
  • Reply 3 of 60
    rokradrokrad Posts: 143member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Garage band and iPhoto are not part of iWorks. That means 5 apps being updated, including these two.

Gah! iWork not iWorks.

I don't get why some people insist on calling it iWorks. Its iWork people! You don't call iLife, iLives....

EDIT: And even AppleInsider called it iWorks suite.... No, its just the iWork Suite.

Another side note, iWork entails: Pages, Numbers, and Keynote.

GarageBand and iMovie are a part of the iLife suite...

• Reply 4 of 60
    Flat aesthetics more like CRAP aesthetics!! I have seen two year olds come up with better aesthetics then all this crap!
  • Reply 5 of 60
    51504rock wrote: »
    Flat aesthetics more like CRAP aesthetics!! I have seen two year olds come up with better aesthetics then all this crap!

It was Inevitable.. the fact that the icons would change and the fact that some people would crib about it.

I will be sorry to see the old Garageband icon go though. The electric guitar is the most good looking instrument. While the new icon is still an electric guitar, it is more a drawing than a rendering/ photo.

Oh well, maybe they will merge well with the other icons in iOS 7.
  • Reply 6 of 60
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    rokrad wrote: »
    Gah! iWork not iWorks.

I don't get why some people insist on calling it iWorks. Its iWork people! You don't call iLife, iLives....

EDIT: And even AppleInsider called it iWorks suite.... No, its just the iWork Suite.
    Another side note, iWork entails: Pages, Numbers, and Keynote.
    GarageBand and iMovie are a part of the iLife suite...

They probably have been using Apple products a long time and remember the ClarisWorks (or AppleWorks) suite of applications.
  • Reply 7 of 60
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    51504rock wrote: »

It was Inevitable.. the fact that the icons would change and the fact that some people would crib about it.

I will be sorry to see the old Garageband icon go though. The electric guitar is the most good looking instrument. While the new icon is still an electric guitar, it is more a drawing than a rendering/ photo.

Oh well, maybe they will merge well with the other icons in iOS 7.

I just hope they haven't flattened the graphics within the app the same way. Garageband is one place where the skeumorphic graphics really work.
  • Reply 8 of 60
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member

When something that has to be represented, demands more complex icon items, flat icons look really bad....Those 2 are another example. There are many good icons in iOS7, but those 2 will join Safari, Voice memos, Photos and Calendar....

Flat desing on iOS7 shows there is no black&white world or esthetics. Flat is not ultimately "beautiful in simplicity" and skeuomorphic is not uniformly too "heavy". I will miss skeuomorphic on the Mac. It is soooo distinctive. You know exactly this is a Mac screen  and not some Windows skin.

• Reply 9 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by quinney View Post

I just hope they haven't flattened the graphics within the app the same way. Garageband is one place where the skeumorphic graphics really work.

They will. As they did in Xcode. They will do it all over the place. Not at once, of course. Every remains of Forstall must be removed, otherwise it would suggest his work made sense. Clash of egos continues before our own eyes, where many of them shed tears :D

• Reply 10 of 60
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

I will be sorry to see the old Garageband icon go though. The electric guitar is the most good looking instrument.

It will be most interesting how Apple will deal with Garageband on iOS 7 since this is one of the few apps (along with iBooks) that skeuomorphic works really great. 

• Reply 11 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by poksi View Post

They will do it all over the place. Not at once, of course. Every remains of Forstall must be removed, otherwise it would suggest his work made sense. Clash of egos continues before our own eyes, where many of them shed tears :D

Craig is a nice human being and maybe a great engineer but his taste is not as fine as Forstall.

• Reply 12 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

It will be most interesting how Apple will deal with Garageband on iOS 7 since this is one of the few apps (along with iBooks) that skeuomorphic works really great. 

It will look exactly the same as all others do: retro post WWI style where all Bosch design takes roots from. We will be persuaded this is a great for software...I really don't hate flat, it works fabulous for many things. I just think is is not something what we like in software.

Do you know any app where skeuomorphic didn't work well?

• Reply 13 of 60
    Quote:

Craig is a nice human being and maybe a great engineer but his taste is not as fine as Forstall.

I meant more on a clash between Scott and Jonny. Craig, as you said, is a first class engineer. I'm not sure his voice is heard much when deciding about design nowadays...

• Reply 14 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poksi View Post

Do you know any app where skeuomorphic didn't work well?

Podcast app. :D  It's so atrocious I felt relieved when it got update the last time. That shows how Forstall also went too far. Much like Jony Ives.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by poksi View Post

I meant more on a clash between Scott and Jonny. Craig, as you said, is a first class engineer. I'm not sure his voice is heard much when deciding about design nowadays...

I simply don't think Jony has a grasp on what a good interface should be, but Craig should take a blame too. Some of his decision is just as bad. Like you can tap 2-arrows on YouTube video to bring it to fullscreen but no such arrows to bring it back.

• Reply 15 of 60
    Quote:

Podcast app. :D  It's so atrocious I felt relieved when it got update the last time. That shows how Forstall also went too extreme. Much like Jony Ives.

You got that, right, yeah! :)  This one was a vast improvement. I can't say I liked completely Scott's way, but up to now, it seems at least from the software visual design, it made more sense than what Jonny is trying to do...

• Reply 16 of 60
    Now that is beautiful "stencil artwork" almost.
  • Reply 17 of 60
    iOS 7 gets uglier by the day. Windows 8 is starting to look nice in comparison. Jony Ives is a failure in my eyes. When they fired Forstall, I had no idea, what it meant. I bought the iPhone 5s, and I can tell you that iOS 7 has no logic about how most apps work. I found "features" by accident. An accidental swipe here or there and I found something in the way an app would interact. No visual clue exists most of the time of whatfeatures an app has. You can do certain swipes with certain apps, but, not with others. I got used to the look, but, the useability is just bad at times. What swipe does what? Where do you find something? No visual clues at all. Minimalism is just bad. My iPad will never see iOS 7, EVER. May be my last iPhone too. Rehire Forestall, and fix this mess. The loss of Steve Jobs is great indeed.
  • Reply 18 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wierdninja View Post

Rehire Forestall, and fix this mess. The loss of Steve Jobs is great indeed.

Can't. He won't co-operate with others. Now the progress will be quicker but the catch is.. the apps and OS won't be as refined and elegant as in Forstall's era.

• Reply 19 of 60
    rissriss Posts: 47member

This is so fugly it makes me want to cry... I haven't updated from iOS 6 & don't plan to and the first Mac OS X that will pursue this idiotic UI design, will be the first Mac OS X version I won't updgrade to. I didn't mind when they tuned down the stripes and brushed metal in early Mac OS X versions, but this is too much to swallow. 

Sorry Johny, you've really dropped the ball on this one

• Reply 20 of 60

New icon design is Apple's strategy to steal customers who like Android's UI.... LOL

I have given up buying 5S and plan to upgrade my old iPad 2 because I just cannot tolerate the new UI.