Microsoft launches official Remote Desktop app for Apple's iOS

Posted:
in iPad edited March 2014
Microsoft on Thursday released an official Remote Desktop application for iPhone and iPad, giving Windows users the ability to access their Windows machine on the go.

Remote

Microsoft Remote Desktop is a free application available on the iOS App Store, compatible with both iPhone and iPad. It's a 12.6-megabyte download that requires iOS 6.0 or later.

According to Microsoft, the new application offers access to a Windows PC with RemoteFX. Features of the software include:
  • Access to remote resources through the Remote Desktop Gateway
  • Rich multi-touch experience with remote desktop protocol (RDP) and RemoteFX supporting Windows gestures
  • Secure connection to your data and applications with breakthrough Network Layer Authentication (NLA) technology
  • Simple management of all remote connections from the connection center
  • High quality video and sound streaming with improved compression and bandwidth usage
  • Easy connection to external monitors or projectors for presentations
Remote

Word of Microsoft's new Remote Desktop apps for both iOS and OS X was made by the company last week. New versions are also said to be coming to Android, Windows, and Windows RT.

The new Remote Desktop application is the latest in a series of gradual software launches for Apple's iOS platform from Microsoft. The biggest product still in the works, and hotly anticipated by iPad users, is a touch-optimized version of Microsoft Office.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    Lmao! So it's out on ios BEFORE it's own products? Seriously, it sounds like the best decision MS could make in this case. Just bite down, accept it, and make the most of it.
  • Reply 2 of 43

I want to to punch my display every time I see that horrendous metro UI. Or whatever they're calling it these days. I've got a name for it, I know that much. 

• Reply 3 of 43

Why?

• Reply 4 of 43
    Plenty of 3rd party ones though.. not really a big splash, unless it does something others don't.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I want to to punch my display every time I see that horrendous metro UI.

It's not worth it man, it's not worth it.

• Reply 6 of 43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AjbDtc826 View Post

Lmao! So it's out on ios BEFORE it's own products? Seriously, it sounds like the best decision MS could make in this case. Just bite down, accept it, and make the most of it.

This helps them avoid putting Office on iOS at less than $20 per app (to compete with Pages, numbers, keynote), yet allow them to gouge their own faithful…  

Clever Girl….

• Reply 7 of 43
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    I wish iOS had native support for a bluetooth mouse specifically to control remote Windows desktops. Using Windows without a mouse is a pain.
  • Reply 8 of 43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Using Windows without a mouse is a pain.

What? Using WINDOWS is pain!

• Reply 9 of 43
    jd_in_sb wrote: »
    I wish iOS had native support for a bluetooth mouse specifically to control remote Windows desktops. Using Windows without a mouse is a pain.

Not to mention the hovering in a corner to get to the desktop UI in 8. Supposedly a nightmare right now with other remote tools. So glad I don't support Windows anymore.

I wonder what is meant by 'Easy connection to external monitors or projectors for presentations'. Will that be Airplay?
  • Reply 10 of 43
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member

I hope it works better than the OS X version. The OS X version crashes constantly. All you have to do is look at the screen wrong and it will quit unexpectedly. 

• Reply 11 of 43
    adrayven wrote: »
    Plenty of 3rd party ones though.. not really a big splash, unless it does something others don't.

For one thing, it squats on 12.6 Mb of your iDevice storage.
  • Reply 12 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crysisftw View Post

This is the proof that you work HARD, and are PRODUCTIVE, as opposed to Apple fanboys ! (repeat after me ...)

• Reply 13 of 43
    I'm not seeing it on the app store. Anyone?
  • Reply 14 of 43

Edit: Removed first post because I accidentally double posted.

• Reply 15 of 43
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crysisftw View Post

Windows is easy if you are used to it. I have used every version of Windows since 2.0. For me, Windows stopped being a pain with Windows 95. But with version 8 the change is so drastic I broke my streak and I didn't bother. Windows 7 is my home for the foreseeable future.

• Reply 16 of 43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AjbDtc826 View Post

I've had the Remote Desktop app on my Surface Pro as long as I can remember.

Edit: Actually quoted the post I was responding to.

• Reply 17 of 43
    Office, hotly anticipated by iPad users? I think not. Pages and Numbers are more than enough, and they work very well with iCloud. And there's also Google's free QuickOffice. Nobody needs Microsoft's products anymore.
  • Reply 18 of 43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LordJohnWhorfin View Post

Office, hotly anticipated by iPad users? I think not. Pages and Numbers are more than enough, and they work very well with iCloud. And there's also Google's free QuickOffice. Nobody needs Microsoft's products anymore.

Except anyone who's owns or is working at a business that doesn't serve chicken wings.  I'm actually pretty sure they'd use office too, now that I think about it.

• Reply 19 of 43
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member

"giving Windows users the ability to access their Windows machine on the go."

Whew! Whenever I have to access a Windows computer, I feel like I've gotta go.

• Reply 20 of 43
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnnash View Post

Except anyone who's owns or is working at a business that doesn't serve chicken wings.

Except anyone who isn't working in marketing and doesn't need to follow whatever the old boys club is using to be accepted.