Samsung raises white flag in standard-essential patent clash in Europe

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    Oh, what's the use logo ^

Ha! And no spooky green little robot, inspired by restrooms. And that's where it should go: down the crapper

• Reply 22 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Marvin’s an android, too, so it works out.

Awesome

• Reply 23 of 39
    "... a particular licensing framework"? The use of a capricious and punitive framework is how Samsung drew the ire of major companies and regulators. It is clear that Samsung intends to do whatever it can get away with, whenever it can. The living definition of sleazy and unscrupulous.
  • Reply 24 of 39

Have they paid Apple the money they owe them yet? 

• Reply 25 of 39
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    Have they paid Apple the money they owe them yet? 

It hasn't been determined how much Samsung owes yet. Part of the original finding is being re-tried because of a jury error.
  • Reply 26 of 39
    vqrovqro Posts: 66member

Let the EU fine this patent troll for at least the 18B.

• Reply 27 of 39
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

It hasn't been determined how much Samsung owes yet. Part of the original finding is being re-tried because of a jury error.

“And what are your findings?”

“Well, we screwed up the placement of the decimal point.”

“Which implies?”

“Well, instead of 18.5 billion it’s 185 billion.”

“Works for me.” *gavel*

• Reply 28 of 39

5 Years?! FRAND is non-revocable, it's forever!

Unbelievable, these guys are so evil

• Reply 29 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Followed by the appeals ...

• Reply 30 of 39
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Samsung has been [...] accused of inappropriately misusing confidential information

Much worse than appropriately misusing that information. :no:

This has been reported to the Department of Redundancy Department.

• Reply 31 of 39
    Dear EU:

We promise not to unlawfully sue anybody for the next 5 years, so that you don't drop the fine hammer on us. And in 5 years when we start suing again, and you bring back your antitrust action, we'll promise some other crap that we have no intention of making good on in order to weasel out of it then too.

Oh, and all those Attorney eyes-only documents that will be generated during the discovery phase of these actions? We absolutely super-promise that they will not be shown / emailed to corporate managers that should in no way ever see that stuff. We swear!

Sincerely,
    Samsung
  • Reply 32 of 39
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Is there a way where, as an individual, I can elect to receive similar treatment for crimes that I commit?

Take for example, driving.

If I get caught speeding, I'm more than happy to promise the police officer that, if he lets me off, I will definitely not speed any more. But only for the next month or so.

Surely it is logical and fair to apply this type of treatment to individuals if companies are treated in such a manner?

Right?

;)
  • Reply 33 of 39

Reading their proposal, Samsung should shove their white / blue flag up where no man has ever done to them before ....

On 2nd thought, EU is not as soft as U.S., you know ;)

• Reply 34 of 39

Actually this isn't a white flag at all.  Basically it says that Samsung will stop suing for 5 years.  After that the companies are forced into the licensing framework.  That framework is forced arbitration.  Basically the other company loses the right to fight the abuse of the SEP patent and is forced into licensing terms.  It's about as far away from a white flag as you can get.  Samsung will stop suing and everyone else is forced into paying for the abuse?  wtf?!?!  It's more of a car jacking then a white flag.

source..

http://www.fosspatents.com/2013/10/eu-commission-market-tests-totally.html

• Reply 35 of 39

Don't know about 'throwing' the book at Samsung, I think the time has come to 'close' the book & closedown, or breakup, that corrupt, immoral excuse of a company conspiracy.

• Reply 36 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Ha! And no spooky green little robot, inspired by restrooms. And that's where it should go: down the crapper

How apropos. Going to the can is now symbolized by a unisex green trash can.

• Reply 37 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

That's the spirit! Never give up hope.

• Reply 38 of 39
    heliahelia Posts: 170member
    NAIL THE BASTARDS!
  • Reply 39 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Serendip View Post

Actually this isn't a white flag at all.  Basically it says that Samsung will stop suing for 5 years.  After that the companies are forced into the licensing framework.  That framework is forced arbitration.  Basically the other company loses the right to fight the abuse of the SEP patent and is forced into licensing terms.  It's about as far away from a white flag as you can get.  Samsung will stop suing and everyone else is forced into paying for the abuse?  wtf?!?!  It's more of a car jacking then a white flag.

source..

http://www.fosspatents.com/2013/10/eu-commission-market-tests-totally.html

And, since much of the reason FRAND abuse was something worth trying is lack of clarity  about what FRAND is supposed to be and what the law has to say about it. Having forced arbitration in secret, as Samsung proposes, will make things worse.