AT&T unveils $5 'data day passes' for cellular-capable iPads and other tablets

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Tablet owners who do not maintain a monthly data plan for their device, but may find themselves in need of a temporary connection, can now take advantage of new 'day passes' from AT&T, a company executive announced today.

iPad

Speaking at GigaOm's Mobilize conference Thursday afternoon, AT&T vice president Chris Penrose told the audience that the lowest $5, 250 megabyte day pass option, alongside a tier that allots users up to 1 gigabyte of data over a three month period for a one-time $25 fee, is aimed at those who would normally rely on hotel Wi-Fi on the road, reports AllThingsD.

Penrose expressed the company's desire to connect more tablets to its network, saying "We really think that a Wi-Fi only tablet is good, but it is not good enough." He added that AT&T would "like to see tablet manufacturers build just one tablet," a single model equipped with a cellular radio. Currently, many manufacturers like Apple offer two tablet versions -- cellular-capable and Wi-Fi only -- to reduce costs for those who don't plan on connecting to a 3G or 4G network.

To sign up for the new plans, users with cellular-capable tablets simply access buyasession.att.com through their device's web browser and complete the four-step purchase process from there. An AT&T SIM card is required.

When Apple released the original iPad in 2010, users could purchase a $29.99-per-month unlimited data plan directly from the tablet's Settings app on a month-to-month basis using a credit card. The option remains, though the cost and data allotment varies by carrier, and some will charge only a prorated portion of the fee for users who only subscribe for a limited number of days in a given month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13

So $5 or $25? And why can’t they just actually build their network out better and end this effing nonsense instead?

AT&T would “like to see tablet manufacturers build just one tablet,” a single model equipped with a cellular radio.

Tablet manufacturers would “like AT&T to shut their traps and not try to overstep their bounds.”

• Reply 2 of 13
    What a massive rip-off. Even Verizon only charges $20 for an entire MONTH, and it's month-to-month. For $20 with this AT&T plan, you get FOUR DAYS?

Why would anyone do this instead of the $25 for three months?
  • Reply 3 of 13
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    $5 for 250 megabytes of data? That sounds more like an hour-pass not a day-pass.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    AT&T finds yet another way to rip people off.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member
    Why is AT&T still in business?
  • Reply 6 of 13
    r00fus wrote: »
    Why is AT&T still in business?

They have 100 million subscribers paying $100 a month for service.

No... those aren't exact figures... but you get my point :D

They make billions of dollars... that's why they are still in business.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Sounds like a decent feature. I have a new iPad with cellular, but I have never activated it as I don't use it very much outside of WiFi range. If I was at a business meeting and needed to look up something I could just pay $5. Better than asking the meeting host if they know the password to the WiFi.  It sounds like a worthwhile feature to me. Having an iPad at a meeting has become acceptable. Pulling out your phone while in a meeting is, for some reason, still viewed as rude.

• Reply 8 of 13
    mstone wrote: »
    Sounds like a decent feature. I have a new iPad with cellular, but I have never activated it as I don't use it very much outside of WiFi range. If I was at a business meeting and needed to look up something I could just pay $5. Better than asking the meeting host if they know the password to the WiFi.  It sounds like a worthwhile feature to me. Having an iPad at a meeting has become acceptable. Pulling out your phone while in a meeting is, for some reason, still viewed as rude.

It is indeed a good feature. We have four iPads, all of which have cellular, three of which rarely need it. We're going to take three of them off of Mobile Share, which will reduce the monthly by $30.

One thing to add here is that you have to bring your iPad(s) to an AT&T store to get a different SIM card. Then, when you want a cellular "session", you can purchase it through your device with a credit card.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Once again AT&T lures with a bait-and-catch; but it'll turn out to be a bait and switch. AT&T was advantaged by a cozy Bush relationship after switching their HQ to Dallas and gaining then Bush administered defense contracts throughout the Middle East. AT&T used the U.S. taxpayer's money to set up pay phone banks in trailers throughout areas housing soldiers. Then it used the PX to heavily market its phone cards. Voila! it never maintained the trailers, allowed calls to continually cut off and ripped soldiers out of the investment in the pre-paid cards.
    AT&T also heavily marketed areas frequented by deploying soldiers and other areas with limited choice for internet (e.g., Miami Beach), offering 19.95/month/1st year introductory rates. However, once a customer signed up, especially deploying soldiers, AT&T would charge the full amount $49.95 / month and renege on the mailer/offer. When a soldier with limited overseas access would finally get through on an expensive call from Afghanistan, the response would be; "Why didn't you call before?" and, "We can only reimburse for two months." That reimbursement, if the soldier would be fortunate enough to have saved or scanned the mailer, would arrive in the form of an AT&T prepaid gift card,with an expiry date and a policy of no replacements, thereby allowing the credit to expire before being used.
    AT&T routinely sends out mailers inviting subscribers to sign up an additional line on a "family plan" and then occasionally drops the family plan line off as an individual phone, full well knowing that if caught, they'll credit/reimburse, but it was tantamount to extracting a short term loan from the subscriber base; steal and leverage the cash until caught. I've personally experienced each and every one of these maneuvers from this organization of graft. Please help soldiers by demanding from you representative that the DoD/Pentagon be required to open phone bank trailers, phone cards and other providers to the military community. Cancel and remove AT&T access to military bases and restore integrity through competition and choice. I finally transitioned all of my phones to another provider. Do yourself a favor and investigate Wal Marts Straight Talk, Target's new service, T-Mobile, Verizon or any other carrier - AT&T is crafty, thieving and doesn't deserve any American's hard earned money.
  • Reply 10 of 13

I can't understand why more people aren't leaving AT&T. Even if you're still under contract, it's cheaper to pay the early termination fee and go to Straight Talk or MetroPCS than it is to stay -- you break even in under 6 months, and then you start saving $50/month at least. If you have an iPhone, get MetroPCS with tethering and you're good to go, no need to mess around with an additional subscription for your iPad -- and you can save $130 by getting the non-cell version of the iPad.

• Reply 11 of 13

AppleZilla unveils his middle finger to AT&T.

• Reply 12 of 13
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    In Europe, with much more stringent mandates on throughput and availability, I can get a no-contract, pay-as-you-go plan with unlimited data, 1000m voice and 1000 SMS for something like $15/month.

US prices are a rip-off due to the revolving door between industry, legislature and regulatory bodies.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

In Europe, with much more stringent mandates on throughput and availability, I can get a no-contract, pay-as-you-go plan with unlimited data, 1000m voice and 1000 SMS for something like $15/month.

US prices are a rip-off due to the revolving door between industry, legislature and regulatory bodies.

In many ways the USA is the laughing stock of the civilized world while the self-delusionally think of themselves in terms of "#1" and "American exceptionalism".

YOU are the laughinstock! You're just jealous that you can't shutdown your pussy government! Oh, wait. Yeah, you're right. Laughingstock :-(