Apple's iPhone 5c pricing seen as right move, holiday sales expected to pick up steam

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

And yet Sammy can't outsell the flagship iPhone and can't outsell the 5C (at least in the US).

Don't say things like that!  The 5c is a complete failure- remember?

• Reply 22 of 40

"Independent research firms? That's like trusting analysts."

Actually firms like isupply and others are quite a bit different than analysts. They

have a basis of knowledge about manufacturing costs of the components of phones and simply add up the price of the individual parts to come up with the estimated manufacturing costs of a phone. They do this without making a judgement like analysts do, they simply report the facts and are considered very accurate by those in the field...it does not mean they are accurate to the penny but they very accurate.

No one in the industry questions them except for you.

• Reply 23 of 40
    There are some things money can’t buy. For everything else, there’s...

Mastercard!

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 24 of 40
    I agree. The 5c gives people all over the world a choice. It was a bold move, a smart move, and it will pay off big in the end. And if Apple ever comes out with a bigger iPhone, then people will have yet another choice. Nothing will be rushed to market (ala Samsung) and every product will be amazing. Not perfect. But still amazing. Any analyst who predicts this early into the 5c's lifespan that it will fail is a dunderhead looking for headlines (ala WSJ - funny how they are now doing a song and dance in retreat of their initial story). Go Apple go!!!
  • Reply 25 of 40
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    ... Plus, I'd like to see Apple catch up in share price to Google...

Although that is a meaningless thing to hope for, you will probably see it happen if Google's 2 for 1 stock split ever goes through.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Some market watchers believe Apple should have priced the iPhone 5c more aggressively, in an attempt to take market share away from low-end smartphones running Google's Android platform. But doing so would have been too risky of a move, Um believes.

I'm not sure the "low-end smartphones" running Android even deserve to be called "smartphones." Their hardware is so gimped that they are essentially feature phones (and get used as such) that happen to run Android because it's the only mainstream OS available for their hardware.

• Reply 27 of 40
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member

One thing about these "analysts": They're pretty much ALWAYS wrong.  I could throw darts blindly at the wall and be more accurate then they.  They draw conclusions based on a single data point and call it a trend.  They know nothing about Apple's strategy, plans, or intent.   They think they know Apple's plans when Apple's strategy has always been NEVER to show their plans about the future.

Apple continues to thrive in spite of them.  Apple thrives because they appear to know what they are doing.

I have found the discounting of the 5c to be very unusual in that it's not typical that a new Apple product is discounted more than a few bucks.  Those companies doing it must be getting a cut of the contract sale or their margin would be non-existant or negative.  They know there is demand for the 5c.  They know people will pony up the $50 for "last year's iPhone 5 in a new shell" because the cost of the contract is the same each month regardless of the phone.  That means they are saving $150 compared to the 5S 16GB.

This means the cost delta is ONLY for the purchase of the phone.  The buyers save money and see a good deal.  Percentage cost over the 2 years doesn't matter.  They're paying that much no matter what phone they own.

• Reply 28 of 40
    the sky is falling, the sky is falling...

oh wait, the sky is not falling, the sky is not falling

maybe that new Apple campus is really a giant UFO and Apple is planning to leave earth for a planet with intelligent life...
  • Reply 29 of 40
    If you listen to Apple's earnings reports phone calls, you'll hear analysts continually questioning Apple executives about margins that the analysts think are too low. Then, in the press, analysts criticize Apple for device prices that are too high. This is how self-appointed industry analysts devalue themselves.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

And yet Sammy can't outsell the flagship iPhone and can't outsell the 5C (at least in the US).

Hmmm... last I looked the S4 was at least outselling the 5c (at intro nonetheless) on 2 carriers.

Let's see how it looks at the end of October.

[actually, for anyone who really thinks about it, those carrier rankings don't mean a helluva lot without some actual numbers or, at the very least, some percentages]

• Reply 31 of 40
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Hmmm... last I looked the S4 was at least outselling the 5c (at intro nonetheless) on 2 carriers.

Let's see how it looks at the end of October.

[actually, for anyone who really thinks about it, those carrier rankings don't mean a helluva lot without some actual numbers or, at the very least, some percentages]

Could you act any more like a tool?

You are so quick to dismiss numbers when they don't add up to what you want.  And even quicker to make up your own numbers.

The Flagship Samsung phone- the S4- is losing out in sales to the 5c- the middle tier phone from Apple on 2 carriers- thats not big news?  You'd be better off comparing it with the S3.  The fact that Apple's 2nd tier iPhone is beating the flagship of their key rival on any carrier is enormous news.  Do you think if they changed the case of the S3 and it outsold the iPhone on AT&T that it wouldn't be big news?

• Reply 32 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Could you act any more like a tool?

Only if I was you.

• Reply 33 of 40
    Asking Apple to come out with a cheap iPhone is like asking Ferrari to make a sub $30k car. They can do it, but why do they want to?
  • Reply 34 of 40
    They keep talking about pricing but when you get a contract for two years with a certain plan it doesn't matter what the phone cost., per say.
    Ok, either you pay $99 or $199 up front for a phone at the low end, which is relatively chump change then you pay the phone off in two years. What's the effing issue?
    This business model has been going on for years and has been making cell phone players billions.
    The only folks getting screwed by these bs analyst are the stock holders because the Wall Street pimps are simply trying to short APPL stock whenever they can even though Apple is banking all day like a boss!
    The iPhone 5 came out last year and did the high price stop people from buying it up?
  • Reply 35 of 40
    I like Apple too,  but this comment reads as if it were taken from a press release.

The 5C is basically the flagship 5 from a year ago in a new plastic case. I don't see how it is any less "technical" or provides more "fun an delight" as a result of changing its shell.

You just don't understand marketing 101... TIDE doesn't need to change the stuff inside the box when they slap "New and Improved" on the outside of the box!!!
  • Reply 36 of 40
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertSmith View Post

I like Apple too,  but this comment reads as if it were taken from a press release.

The 5C is basically the flagship 5 from a year ago in a new plastic case. I don't see how it is any less "technical" or provides more "fun an delight" as a result of changing its shell.

Well then.... consider that parade rained upon...

• Reply 37 of 40

Apple IOS will continue to lose market share, the same way the Mac and MacBook have lost market share due to overpriced product. The problem is that in the future IOS may become irrelevant, no matter how good it is, due to its small and negligible ecosystem relative to its competition.

• Reply 38 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

Apple IOS will continue to lose market share, the same way the Mac and MacBook have lost market share due to overpriced product. The problem is that in the future IOS may become irrelevant, no matter how good it is, due to its small and negligible ecosystem relative to its competition.

What color is the sky in your world?

(oh, I get it, that was sarcasm... right?)

• Reply 39 of 40

Mac and Macbook market share is so small that they are negligible in the computing world. The iPhone is being priced out of range and will continue to lose market share.

• Reply 40 of 40

uh-uh.

so then.

please explain "loose market share"

it has 18% of the market.

I mean 18% for just 2 phones is HUUUUUUUGE.

and an increase from last year.

and Macbook market share by no means is negligible.