Rumor: Amazon's French and German sites suggest new Apple TV coming Oct. 23

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Amazon's online storefronts in France and Germany on Thursday showed sudden unavailability of the current generation Apple TV, instead noting the device will be "available from Oct. 23," hinting that a revamped version of the set-top streamer may soon be released.

Amazon ATV
Amazon's German Apple TV webpage. | Source: Amazon

While not hard evidence of an Apple TV revamp, Amazon's notice of availability (via iFun.de) is in line with recent rumors that claim a next-generation version of the device will be unveiled in the near future.

Instead of being marked as "no longer available" or "pre-order," as other out of stock or upcoming products sold directly by Amazon, the company's French and German sites show current third-generation Apple TV will be available from Oct. 23. Amazon's other European website, which serves the UK and Ireland, as well as its Japan and U.S. stores, still have units in stock. The Online Apple Store also has full availability in Europe, though it is unlikely that Apple would tip its hand ahead of a new product launch.

It should be noted, however, that Amazon is not "leaking" a new model Apple TV. The company's French website, for example, advertises the product with the model number "MD199FD/A," which is correct for the current European version of the device. While mere speculation, the Oct. 23 date could mean the online sales giant simply sold through existing stock and is awaiting a new shipment. Alternatively, the company could be putting a hold on Apple TV sales ahead of a special Apple event planned for Oct. 22.

Amazon ATV
Amazon's French website shows an identical Oct. 23 availability date.

Earlier this week, Apple sent out invitations to a media event scheduled to take place at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco, where the company is widely expected to reveal a fifth-generation iPad and second-generation iPad mini.

Also anticipated is a release of the latest Mac operating system, OS X 10.9 Mavericks, the final version of which was recently seeded to developers. Some speculate that Apple will take the opportunity to finally debut its newly redesigned Mac Pro, to be followed by a Nov. 15 ship-by date.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    That's Amazon. Apple sells and ships it in 24 hours in [URL=http://store.apple.com/fr/iphone/iphone-accessories/apple-tv]France[/URL] and [URL=http://store.apple.com/de/iphone/iphone-accessories/apple-tv]Germany[/URL]. All over Europe, for that matter.
  • Reply 2 of 53
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    philboogie wrote: »
    That's Amazon. Apple sells and ships it in 24 hours in France and Germany. All over Europe, for that matter.

We haven't seen as much of this lately but Amazon used to be notorious for adding items and ship dates that didn't exist. We know they had no inside knowledge because the dates were often wrong and sometimes they would have the name of a rumored product that ended up never existing.
  • Reply 3 of 53
    nchianchia Posts: 124member
    So this is news, or even a good guess?
  • Reply 4 of 53

Hope Amazon is wrong, or else this is going to be an expensive Christmas time for me. New iPad (still have generation 1), new iPhone 5S (well, with carrier subsidies at least), was thinking about a new TV set (advice is welcome, btw) and now this... I have an AppleTV gen2 (the first "puck" apple tv). If the newer version opens up the app store then i'll have to upgrade, otherwise i might skip it...

Luckily the fabled iWatch won't appear until at least next year... Might have been too much.

And, sometimes in the future a new MacBook Pro will have to be purchased. But until now, thanks to Apple, the one I have seems to get better with age. (17" MBP, latest model before discontinuation). Mavericks breathes new life in "older" machines in an incredible way. From battery life to speed. And I'm glad about that!

• Reply 5 of 53
    akqies wrote: »
    We haven't seen as much but Amazon used to be notorious for adding items and ship dates that didn't exist. We know they had no inside knowledge because the dates were often wrong and sometimes they would have the name of a rumored product that ended up never existing.

That's right, I forgot about that. Besides, doesn't seem likely to have the shipping date of a new version be the day after the event anyway, on a 3rd party reseller.
    pinolo wrote: »
    Hope Amazon is wrong, or else this is going to be an expensive Christmas time for me. New iPad (still have generation 1), new iPhone 5S (well, with carrier subsidies at least), was thinking about a new TV set (advice is welcome, btw) and now this... I have an AppleTV gen2 (the first "puck" apple tv). If the newer version opens up the app store then i'll have to upgrade, otherwise i might skip it...

1) it'll be an expensive year, without any fables from Amazon

2) getting the phone through a carrier is more expensive than buying it from Apple

3) That AppleTV gen2 is worth money, as its software has been hacked. Supposedly this isn't the case with gen3. So if they release a new version and if it's the same $99 you'll be better of selling yours.
  • Reply 6 of 53
    philboogie wrote: »
    3) That AppleTV gen2 is worth money, as its software has been hacked. Supposedly this isn't the case with gen3. So if they release a new version and if it's the same $99 you'll be better of selling yours.

Very true - many people desire the 2nd gen ATV so they can jailbreak it and are willing to pay for that (ATV3 is still in-jailbreakable to my knowledge). Six months ago I sold my year old ATV2 for $250 and bought a new ATV3 for $99 and pocketed the extra $150. I have no need for jailbreaking so the ATV3+$150 made me quite happy :)
  • Reply 7 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pinolo View Post

was thinking about a new TV set (advice is welcome, btw) 

If a plasma tv, make sure it's a Panasonic, and buy it before they stop making plasma panels.

If you only want a small display get an iMac to use as a TV.

Otherwise buy a JVC projector :D

Of course, I'm assuming there won't be an AppleTV with a monitor built in.

• Reply 8 of 53
    crudman wrote: »
    Very true - many people desire the 2nd gen ATV so they can jailbreak it and are willing to pay for that (ATV3 is still in-jailbreakable to my knowledge). Six months ago I sold my year old ATV2 for $250 and bought a new ATV3 for $99 and pocketed the extra $150. I have no need for jailbreaking so the ATV3+$150 made me quite happy :)

Nice! Will have to check eBay and see what it is going for.

Also, this says 3rd gen on the amazon screen shot, so they just may not have any.
  • Reply 9 of 53
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Amazon is wrong all the time about block-bustered Blu-Ray release date. They're just guessing.
  • Reply 10 of 53
    Quote:

Definitely agree with this, even better if you have a gen1 with the built in hdd. I recently sold my jailbroken 40gb gen1 for £100 ($160) on ebay to some guy in Greece. I didn't think it was worth much tbh but not complaining - it was just gathering dust here. Got a lot more than I paid for it lol.

• Reply 11 of 53
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    I have no problem with rumours but there is nothing to see here. it's the same model.

THE SAME MODEL!

enough. Already.
  • Reply 12 of 53
    aderutter wrote: »

That already exists, sort of:

adm1 wrote: »
    ...even better if you have a gen1 with the built in hdd. I recently sold my jailbroken 40gb gen1 for £100 ($160) on ebay to some guy in Greece. I didn't think it was worth much tbh but not complaining - it was just gathering dust here. Got a lot more than I paid for it lol.

Hmm, I still have the 160GB version, will take a peek at 2nd hand sites. Thanks.
  • Reply 13 of 53
    aderutter wrote: »
    If a plasma tv, make sure it's a Panasonic, and buy it before they stop making plasma panels.
    If you only want a small display get an iMac to use as a TV.
    Otherwise buy a JVC projector :D
    I read somewhere that plasma has a much better image quality but introduces a big lag if you play games. I am not an avid gamer by any means (and don't like FPS). But not being able to play my weekly dose of NHL would be bad...

Regarding the 2nd gen ATV, thx for the heads up!! I'll definitely try to sell mine (as I still have the original box to go with it and it is in pristine conditions). My only "hack" has been US iTunes store. And this alone makes a world of difference!
  • Reply 14 of 53

pinolo: No the opposite. Plasma TVs generally have the lowest input lag numbers of TVs. Sony's 2013 LCD are also quite good in this area (and quite good overall).

But connect an Apple TV! Don't even consider using the built-in Smart TV features. They're just horrible.

• Reply 15 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

That's right, I forgot about that. Besides, doesn't seem likely to have the shipping date of a new version be the day after the event anyway, on a 3rd party reseller.

But there is this:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/09/03/apple-taking-shipments-of-set-top-boxes-hints-at-new-apple-tv-product

If Apple is stockpiling for the last 2 month+  16 metric tons a week  (if the total weight of a packaged appleTV is a pound, that, 32,000 a week of these things... x10 weeks... 320,000 units).   Amazon could be being shipped a few of these before release date...  I can see Apple embargoing orders till the 22nd, and Amazon would have 'next day order/same day ship' availability,  If not same day order, next day ship.

• Reply 16 of 53
    eideardeideard Posts: 428member

Waiting, waiting, waiting for the next-gen AppleTV.  And my kinfolk are waiting, too - for me to pass along the current critter living next to the TV set.

• Reply 17 of 53
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    FYI, you can run Plex on an AppleTV 3 without jail breaking.

• Reply 18 of 53
    Really?! I have two gen 2's laying around in my living. Funny thing is, ex wife wanted one but I won that war. Best news this morning!
  • Reply 19 of 53

Perhaps they're just waiting to see if a new model is released? I imagine people would complain / not be happy if they bought an Apple TV a week before a new one came out, so perhaps that's what Amazon's doing this for rather than any ~inside knowledge~.

• Reply 20 of 53
    There is virtually no way this will happen as nothing to speak of has been leaked. The days of a surprise at an Apple event are gone for good.