iBrowse is real

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Maybe everyone already knows this, but here's some interesting info. A friend at Microsoft tells me that Apple is actually developing iBrowse. The test builds are being called "eyebrows." Kind of lame, but whatever. Since he's usually way ahead of the curve in rumor-land, I felt like it might be legit to post.

It's based on Mozilla, so it should deliver everything that Chimera is supposed to, along with a more refined UI.

I don't really have any more info, since he doesn't know that much about it either.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    ...and what would his/her "friends" in the MBU think of this?
  • Reply 2 of 30
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    hey if MS can bundle a browser with their OS then Apple has a right to do so also.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    Maybe I'm slow, but how would your friend at Microsoft know this? Seems to me that Apple wouldn't be telling Microsoft all about their plans to release a competing product.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    Wow, this is the 647th report of iBrowse from a "I heard from a friend" post.

Bleh.

Regardless, if it is real, it belongs in the Digital Hub forum with the other iApp discussions. Moving...
  • Reply 5 of 30
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    I was thinking the same think, Brad, but Spline is actually a well known poster around here, so maybe there's a little credibility to this....
  • Reply 6 of 30
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    It doesn't seem that Microsoft would be told about this. And yes, I am real.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    It might be hard to keep a secret from some of them, given their close contact with so many other things on the platform.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    [quote]Originally posted by Splinemodel:

<strong>The test builds are being called "eyebrows." Kind of lame, but whatever.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I dunno... I don't think it's too bad... eyebrows as in 'Apples new app will raise some...' - as in 'we sure raised some eyebrows at WWDC when we had Chimera in the dock instead of MSIE'

As for folks at MS knowing and/or not knowing... If any group of people would have the contacts AND desire to see if 'iBrowse' was 'the real deal' or not it WOULD be MS. After all they have the contacts and the means to get a 'confirmation' on this and the need/desire to know is a given.

Now they might not be able to get the 'full scoop' but a simple 'is this for real'... Yea I'm pretty sure the big wigs as MBU could sus-out that much.

Dave

[ 11-06-2002: Message edited by: DaveGee ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 30
    I think Brad is somewhat of a douchebag for moving this thread from software (Digital Hub? Does this have anything to do with the hub?) but alas.

I'm sure you can doubt my source or my post, but I really don't care. I was just relaying information. And I did a search and found no posts about iBrowse in the last 3 months. . . It showed that 2 have ever been posted.

So further:

Some of you may know my friends name. I don't know if he even has an NDA, but there is no reason to risk it. I trust him fully with information like this. When iBrowse comes out and you see that it's Mozilla based, I promise I won't be an asshole about it.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    [quote]Originally posted by Splinemodel:

<strong>I think Brad is somewhat of a douchebag for moving this thread from software (Digital Hub? Does this have anything to do with the hub?) but alas.</strong><hr></blockquote>Oh, wah wah wah.

Right off the front page, emphasis mine:

[quote]Digital Hub

Discussion of digital peripherals and the iApps.<hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 11 of 30
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    [quote]Originally posted by DaveGee:

<strong>

As for folks at MS knowing and/or not knowing... If any group of people would have the contacts AND desire to see if 'iBrowse' was 'the real deal' or not it WOULD be MS. After all they have the contacts and the means to get a 'confirmation' on this and the need/desire to know is a given.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

It would certainly explain why IE has stagnated for so long.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    IMO, iApps shouldn't be shoved into DH, mostly because some iApps might be in the same category with other apps (like iChat and AIM, iCal/iSync and Entourage, iMovie and Microsoft's piece of trash, iTunes and Audion, etc.)

It really creates a void, you can't talk about something in the software forum because of a crappy naming scheme.

I mean come on, mail is about as much a part of your 'Digital Hub' as iCal is, yet Mail should be discussed in Software, and iCal in Digital Hub...

&lt;/rant&gt;

[ 11-06-2002: Message edited by: Spart ]</p>
  • Reply 13 of 30
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    I will believe in iBrowse until iSee.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    Why would David Hyatt say that Omniweb has the potential of beating Chimera for speed and that he seemed to prefer a native engine (done right) over gecko if Apple was going to use gecko as their engine for iBrowse? I don't dout that Apple is working on some kind of native browser or if not will eventually take an outside project insider (i.e. OmniWeb) but after hearing Hyatts coments it doesn't look like they would base it of gecko...
  • Reply 15 of 30
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    I wouldn't read to much into a random David Hyatt comment.

I really like the name "iSurf"*.

It would take Apple a while (understatement) to write an engine which can render everything and with the standards compliance Gecko has.

Barto

*Complementing AppleWorks 7... aka iWork
  • Reply 16 of 30
    Why would a browser be an iApp? The only thing I can come up with right now is the ability to synch your bookmarks using .Mac. This would be kind of cool if you used multiple machines for web surfing. I would also hope that Apple optimizes the performance so that we can finally achieve parity with IE on XP at equal clock speeds.

Another hunch is that Apple is assigning some of their engineers to the Chimera Project. This Browser is improving at a much faster speed than most open source projects.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    [quote]Originally posted by Producer:

<strong>Why would David Hyatt say that Omniweb has the potential of beating Chimera for speed and that he seemed to prefer a native engine (done right) over gecko if Apple was going to use gecko as their engine for iBrowse? I don't dout that Apple is working on some kind of native browser or if not will eventually take an outside project insider (i.e. OmniWeb) but after hearing Hyatts coments it doesn't look like they would base it of gecko...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well if what you say is true then...

Boy oh boy Dave sure is spending a whole lotta time on Mozilla when Apple isn't gonna use it. Looking at the number of bugs he's involved in I'd be suprised if he had any time for Apple related work.

<a href="http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/query.cgi"; target="_blank">http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/query.cgi</a>;

In one of the boxes (Email and Numbering) set it to 'contains' and then type apple, this will display all bugs that Dave has been working on since he got an apple.com address.

**EDIT**

UBB HATES LONG LINKS! REMOVED LINK TO SHOW OVER 500 BUGS SINCE DAVE STARTED WORKING AT APPLE

**EDIT**

Dave

[ 11-07-2002: Message edited by: DaveGee ]</p>
  • Reply 18 of 30
    Gecko fits into the open frameworks and open-source model Apple has been building on. What is the Gecko license, GPL or other? Could they essentially make their own "streamlined" version of it as a framework, dropping much of the superfluous cross-platform stuff? (If that is even possible that is.)

[ 11-07-2002: Message edited by: BuonRotto ]</p>
  • Reply 19 of 30
    DaveGee well i know he is part of the Pheonix group which has nothing to do with the Mac too....Hey some people like to drink beer and watch wrestling on TV when they take a break from work...others like to work on Mozilla bugs....who are we to judge?
  • Reply 20 of 30
    [quote]Originally posted by Producer:

<strong>DaveGee well i know he is part of the Pheonix group which has nothing to do with the Mac too....Hey some people like to drink beer and watch wrestling on TV when they take a break from work...others like to work on Mozilla bugs....who are we to judge?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I wouldn't exactly say 'has nothing to do' since I run it on my Mac and it runs really really nice.

Dave