California man sues Apple CEO Tim Cook over automatic iOS 7 update

Comments

• Reply 61 of 113
    He may not make every decision but with all the privileges of leadership also comes all the responsibility. 

As CEO, the buck always stops with him. He gets the most credit when things go good and the most heat when things go bad. That's the role you take on when you're to top leader anywhere.

You can go ahead an join the plaintiff in the handicapped lane. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 62 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GrangerFX View Post

As silly as this lawsuit is, he does have a point: It would be nice to be able to install whatever version of iOS we want on our devices (as long as it is compatible). This is a major missing feature for app developers who currently have no way to test their apps on older versions of iOS once their devices have been upgraded. And no, most of us can't afford to own a version of every iOS device running every version of iOS.

iOS 7 runs like a dog on my daughter's iPhone 4. She would love to go back to iOS 6 and have a device that isn't frustrating to use.

There certainly is no excuse for stopping downgrades for wifi only devices such as the iPod touch or wifi only iPads. It becomes a little more problematic with cellular device due to baseband firmware but nothing insurmountable.

• Reply 63 of 113
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    He's suing over something downloaded but not installed. HIs phone hasn't been bricked, he hasn't lost access to a vital app etc

there is a method for removing the file. erase the phone. it's an onboard setting. Doesn't update your iOS the way the computer does but you can still restore even a computer based backup.

And the biggest joke of this is that he is asking for a mere $50. come on, it costs that much to file at all. At least ask for $500 if not the whole $5000 you can in CA Small Claims Court
  • Reply 64 of 113
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    mstone wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »
    I don't understand the hot spot situation. Why would you tether your phone to a hotspot while your phone itself could either connect over cellular or WiFi?
    Phone 5 is locked and in an international roaming area. The wifi hot spot is unlocked and has a local sim. I have a local unlocked iPhone 4 for calling locally and I use Skype for long distance, international calling. There is no cable service for broadband where I am so all my data comes through the cellular wifi hot spot.

Ah, ok, gotcha. I have that here in Europe as well. Doesn't matter that my iPhone isn't locked in by a carrier as I still want to receive calls on my number everyone knows.

If memory serves me, you're the person living and or working in three different countries...
  • Reply 65 of 113
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    mstone wrote: »
    How odd. It has not automatically downloaded for me. I must have auto-update turned off via iTunes, because I can't seem to find a setting on the phone to toggle that option. It's just saying iOS 7.0.2 is available for download and requires 1.2GB of space. Also says to connect to wifi to download.
    Not sure. I definitely did not request it and I did not participate in the developer preview. Perhaps the phone needs the right set of circumstances such as connected to power and WiFi. When iOS was first released I recall seeing the same message you reported but now it just says "Install" so I'm not sure exactly when it happened but my experience appears to align with the reported auto download scenario. 

Same here. No dev preview installed previously. I upgraded when it came out, tried it, liked it. Then a week later I got a replacement phone from Apple (power button didn't always work) but that was a brand new phone and still had iOS6 on it. Since they're paying more for a new phone with 6 installed on second hand sites, I haven't upgraded and will sell it with 6.

Anyhow, the first couple of days it said download. Then one day it said install. I hadn't changed any settings, but wasn't bothered because it's a 64GB anyway.
  • Reply 66 of 113
    jpmiajpmia Posts: 63member
    i cant belive this story is out there.. is weird it did not have the stock sell of 50 points becouse of it?
  • Reply 67 of 113

1. No software, especially entire OS's, should auto-download onto a phone, without gaining explicit permission of the owner first.  I did not grant permission until recently, and all went smoothly. That said, since it was mstone claiming above to have had an unwanted download, I tend to believe him. Seems Apple has gone the way of Adobe and Firefox with the auto-downloads. Glad I escaped, since I too am on a limited data plan.

2. Auto-downloads are almost as annoying as the auto-play videos plaguing another Mac-related site.

3. At least the plaintiff in the story sued Tim Cook, instead of shutting the entire government down over his crackpot claims.

• Reply 68 of 113
    Are you sure that the surname is not "Menace" ?
    We have a couple of those people here in GB and I thought it could be family%u2026..
  • Reply 69 of 113
    Not sure the guy will lose. MY g/f had a 4S and she loved it, her son bought it for her. All of a sudden, a short while ago she got a message, to wit, in effect: "Do you want to upgrade?" She hit NO. It loaded the upgrade anyway.... Now that was just plain NOT NICE. We had to eventually take it to Verizon where someone told he "someone was working on it." I was lucky I knew one of the guys at VZ and he got ride of much of the nonsense that was causing trouble but only have 4 tries! But she did lose her apps! She asked me, a fervent Apple type, "Why did they disregard my answer?" I have no idea.

It's easy to criticize this guy in CA for going after Cook (they need an "attackable ombudsman!") but I remember the frustration Carol had... she finally got angry cuz she felt somebody didn't do enough testing and secondly, asked a question the answer to which, they ignored,
  • Reply 70 of 113
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    He may not make every decision but with all the privileges of leadership also comes all the responsibility. 

As CEO, the buck always stops with him. He gets the most credit when things go good and the most heat when things go bad. That's the role you take on when you're to top leader anywhere.

Wrong. The whole point of a corporation is that it is a separate entity which is legally distinct from the people who comprise it. If this were a case of clear negligence that caused real damages, that would be one thing, but this is just some joe blow who isn't happy with the way his apple product is working. His fight is with Apple Inc. I would be shocked if this case weren't immediately thrown out.
  • Reply 71 of 113
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyfozz View Post

Not sure the guy will lose. MY g/f had a 4S and she loved it, her son bought it for her. All of a sudden, a short while ago she got a message, to wit, in effect: "Do you want to upgrade?" She hit NO. It loaded the upgrade anyway.... Now that was just plain NOT NICE. We had to eventually take it to Verizon where someone told he "someone was working on it." I was lucky I knew one of the guys at VZ and he got ride of much of the nonsense that was causing trouble but only have 4 tries! But she did lose her apps! She asked me, a fervent Apple type, "Why did they disregard my answer?" I have no idea.

It's easy to criticize this guy in CA for going after Cook (they need an "attackable ombudsman!") but I remember the frustration Carol had... she finally got angry cuz she felt somebody didn't do enough testing and secondly, asked a question the answer to which, they ignored,

This post totally needs some sad violin music playing in the background while being read in an overly dramatic tone.

• Reply 72 of 113
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

My system always simply notified me there was an upgrade available and did I want to download and install it?

Was that due to a legacy setting from somewhere along my 3Gs, 4, 4s, 5 lineage?

• Reply 73 of 113
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    bobbyfozz wrote: »
    Not sure the guy will lose. [blah blah blah]

Did you have some point you were trying to make, or what?
  • Reply 74 of 113
    "Apple's disregard for customer preferences...". I agree with this. It didn't used to be this way, but it's been slowly getting worse. At first, it was the small things slowly changing. iOS 7 is a huge pile of disregard for function and customer preferences.
  • Reply 75 of 113
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobbyfozz View Post

She couldn't "lose her apps" since previous purchases are always available from the APPLE APP store, or, for that matter, from her sync'd computer. Take it to an Apple store's help bar and they'll easily put them all back if she can't figure it out: it's within the "app store" from her phone as one place. I just looked and I see a list of all the apps purchased on my account, both ones "not on this phone" and ALL.

IIRC there is no "no" option for those notifications, just a button to hit if you decide to trigger the action.

• Reply 76 of 113
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Ah, ok, gotcha. I have that here in Europe as well. Doesn't matter that my iPhone isn't locked in by a carrier as I still want to receive calls on my number everyone knows.

I do that too just turn off data roaming

• Reply 77 of 113
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    boltsfan17 wrote: »
    I know he filed a small claims case. This man filed it in the wrong court. This case will be thrown out. All Apple will do is contest and say it's filed in the wrong county. They won't even have to make an appearance. As I said in my post, since Tim Cook is listed as the defendant, the case was supposed to be filed in the Santa Clara County Small Claims Court, not in San Diego County. 

Interesting. In the small claims I have been involved in in two other states (not California), you could file either in your own locale or that of the defendant. It was your choice. Since all 4 cases I've been involved with involved out if state corporations, I files in my home jurisdiction. All 4 settled, though one went to a hearing, which was adjourned so that the actual lawyer for the company who made me an offer that they did not abide by could be fetched from Texas to New Hampshire. At that point they were ready to settle.
  • Reply 78 of 113
    It's just letting you know if you wish to download it you will need that amount of space. I got the same message but my usage storage has remained the same.
  • Reply 79 of 113
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

So I got to thinking about having that iOS 7 package sitting in software update waiting to be installed. If you decided that you didn't want to install it, I wonder if it blocks your ability to receive and install iOS 6 patches should some security issue require one. Since even iPhone 4 can run iOS 7, I wonder if they have stopped supporting iOS 6 altogether.

• Reply 80 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Just a shining example of how stupid people are and then they want others to pay for their stupidity. I have 4 iOS devices in my house and none of them have been updated to iOS 7 why because I did not allow them and I am waiting until the rest of you find all the bugs since we all know we can no longer down grade thanks to the jailbreak community. Wait that is it, he is a jailbreak plant, he is attempting to force apple to restore the ability to downgrade again.

You still can downgrade any iPhone except the 5s.  To do so go to ipswdownload.com.  Grab the ipsw file that you want to go back to like iOS 6.1.4.  Download it to your computer.  Launch iTunes.  Plug in your iPhone.  Go to iTunes restore screen.  Hold down option and hit restore.  Navigate to the just downloaded ipsw file and open.  There you go..   Back to iOS 6.1.4.

Of course this guy is probably too stupid to do that.  He sounds dumber than a box of rocks.