USA Today prints contemptuous trashing of Apple's latest iOS 7 release

Comments

• Reply 21 of 197
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

Meanwhile a mediocre U.S. Blogger has compiled a scathing rebuttal claiming android is frought with issues although it provided no actual metrics of the issues..........

Slow news day.

The article does not make any such claims. It simply presents context, citing actual issues of known severity from multiple sources (from Android fans, not Android consultants) that were not fixed for a year, in contrast to USA Today complaining that iOS 7 is both suffering from some unspecified number of problems and is getting too many updates, too often. 

• Reply 22 of 197
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,087member
    This is a good example of large media companies like Gannet employing C and B talent

Go look at their linked in profiles of the authors. Weak and unremarkable. One started covering Apple (among other companies) in August

Pathetic
  • Reply 23 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cincytee View Post

All Gannett (USAT's parent) reporters and photographers last year were given iPhones or iPads running iOS 6 as part of the company's push into digital content. I'd bet many are experiencing a major smartphone OS upgrade for the first time and will feel disproportionately affected by any glitches, especially with any of the company-blessed video and photo apps.

If Gannett employees experienced some specific types or numbers of problems, detailing those would have contributed to a useful report. What they printed was completely worthless. Worse than a typical fan-site blog. Embarrassing.

• Reply 24 of 197
    DED articles like this are really coming across as whining fanboyism and really degrade the quality of this site. Boo fucking hoo hoo, a second rate news paper ran a yellow journalism piece so the obvious best course of action: immediately write a 1500 word diatribe crying about it.

Oh the huge manitee.
  • Reply 25 of 197
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member

I have owned every model of iPhone ever made except the iPhone 5C. I always loved iOS and it got better with each new version. I hate iOS 7 because of the look. The new flat interface is terrible. Graphics are gone, everything is white. Everything looks like a cheap web interface. I love Apple but I hope Jony Ive gets a wake-up call. He's great but made a very ugly GUI. Everyone I know hates the look too. I hope Jony can correct his mistake.

• Reply 26 of 197
    Quote:

Originally Posted by woodycurmudgeon View Post

DED articles like this are really coming across as whining fanboyism and really degrade the quality of this site. Boo fucking hoo hoo, a second rate news paper ran a yellow journalism piece so the obvious best course of action: immediately write a 1500 word diatribe crying about it.

Oh the huge manitee.

Maybe you can outline for us what the tech media is allowed to write about. Should we all stick to paraphrasing PR and consultant reports?

You’re not getting enough of that elsewhere? I can send you some links if you’re jonesing for more paid propaganda. 

• Reply 27 of 197
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

I have owned every model of iPhone ever made except the iPhone 5C. I always loved iOS and it got better with each new version. I hate iOS 7 because of the look. The new flat interface is terrible. Graphics are gone, everything is white. Everything looks like a cheap web interface. I love Apple but I hope Jony Ive gets a wake-up call. He's great but made a very ugly GUI. Everyone I know hates the look too. I hope Jony can correct his mistake.

Love the performance improvements, didn't even notice "the look" anymore after about 3 days with my 5. Chose a darker wallpaper for the home screen and otherwise just went with it. 

Made a similar adjustment on my 5s and given I largely see the interior of the apps the OS "look" isn't an issue that I can tell (oh the Apple apps have a new look but the others notsomuchj). Oh and I also rearranged my apps back to the way they were. Easy enough.

Oh and what "everything" is "white"? Other than the background in settings I guess which is white....

• Reply 28 of 197
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ealvarez View Post

IOs7 works very well on my iPad2 image

My iPad 2 ran like a dog turd with 7. Hope my new iPad 5 works better :\

• Reply 29 of 197
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I have not upgraded yet on my phone. iPad mini yes but haven't really gotten used to it yet. One question for those with iOS 7 on iPhone 5, is the new pass code screen as easy to operate single handed? It seems so spread out that it might require two handed input. I like the iOS 6 passcode screen because it is compact and easy to enter holding in one hand and using the thumb. Just curious how others have adapted to the new pass code layout.

• Reply 30 of 197
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member
    Just another goddamned hit-piece. iOS7 has been no problems for me, and lots of goodness. It could use refinements, but what can't?
  • Reply 31 of 197

My only quibble with iOS 7 is the battery life. FOR ME it drains my battery much faster than it ever did on iOS . Other than that iOS 7 is a really nice update. Took a while to get used to but other than the battery life I love it.

• Reply 32 of 197
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by skalyana725 View Post

I have had more crashes & strange behaviors with iOS7 on my iPhone 5 than any other version ever. Applications just don't respond to touch and instead crash (randomly), keystroke entry freezes up or is delayed interminably and then the app crashes - the two main kinds of issues I have experienced.

I also have an iPhone 5 and haven't seen either of these issues. Like others have said, try a factory reset on the phone - corrupt files from the previous version may be causing your problem.

• Reply 33 of 197
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    It's an attempt to cheer-leading the hate on iOS 7. Shameless publishing. Not that I prefer iOS 7 over iOS 6 (look and feel) but to say it's the most troublesome without including Android is shameless.
  • Reply 34 of 197
    My only quibble with iOS 7 is the battery life. FOR ME it drains my battery much faster than it ever did on iOS . Other than that iOS 7 is a really nice update. Took a while to get used to but other than the battery life I love it.

You should delete some of the apps that could be the culprit and re-install. iOS 7 battery life is very fine on my iPad 2. More or less the same as iOS 6.
  • Reply 35 of 197

Oh the huge manitee.

Well, at least you got that right. I prefer to not let them get away with it though.
  • Reply 36 of 197
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I have not upgraded yet on my phone. iPad mini yes but haven't really gotten used to it yet. One question for those with iOS 7 on iPhone 5, is the new pass code screen as easy to operate single handed? It seems so spread out that it might require two handed input. I like the iOS 6 passcode screen because it is compact and easy to enter holding in one hand and using the thumb. Just curious how others have adapted to the new pass code layout.

I've medium glove sized hands and my righthand thumb easily works the passcode keys on a iPhone 5. Maybe hit an Apple store and check out the spacing for yourself if there's one nearby?

• Reply 37 of 197
    There are two iOS 7 app problems which have yet to be fixed.

Both iBook and Kindle apps lag in handling an open book. That is, I have the app running with a book open, then switch to a different app, then come back to either iBook or Kindle. Both hang temporarily, the screen blanks, a spinner appears, then the current book page. Because both apps do this, I expect it is an iOS problem. I haven't seen a problem with the Nook app.

The second app that is having problems is GoodReader. It crashes, fairly consistently, and I have inundated the develop with the log file it generates. They are still debugging the problem.
  • Reply 38 of 197

Hope Microsoft saved those mock coffins for the iPhone. We might just need them after all. /s 

• Reply 39 of 197
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    iOS 7 isn't perfect but I like it. I do have some complaints: the app/folder launching makes me nauseous and my 4S freezes every once in a while. I would factory reset but I have a G5 still (no iTunes 11).

I just don't look at the app launching.
  • Reply 40 of 197
    No problems here on 4s. Couldn't imagine going back to old Safari.