USA Today prints contemptuous trashing of Apple's latest iOS 7 release

Comments

• Reply 61 of 197
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

The OS is possibly corrupted from repeated restores from previous phones? Bad code builds up over time and I've been told the 5 is more sensitive due to it's higher performance...  A way around that is to do a "clean" restore  (not from the possibly corrupted backup copy on your computer) and then sync the phone (which doesn't install an OS just your stuff). Or I expect it might be a particular bad actor app or apps that isn't 7 compatible yet. Have to say my 5 never exhibited that behavior in general, though the Washingtonpost app would occasionally quit for a few days until it was updated. But in general amongst the 127 apps I have there was no issue.

Thx - I did see few others providing a similar suggestion.  I do expect every software to have some bugs & irritability issues, but my general point was I have noticed iOS7 to be more problematic for me than 6 or 5 were.  In each case, I have carried over the previous version backup, so strange that it should be an issue with 7.  Interestingly, WaPo, Facebook, and a few other apps like Cricinfo - all of which have been updated for 7 - are the ones that crash more often.

• Reply 62 of 197
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

When the article is full of vague complaints of the other guys it tells you something.... Distraction.

This would describe almost every DED article ever written on AI.

• Reply 63 of 197
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    A dying newspaper begs for attention by slamming a highly popular and successful operating system.
  • Reply 64 of 197
    smurfman wrote: »
    I'm partially with you on this as well. There are certain design aspects I like very well. But you got it right... Way too much white. Too much white is ugly, hard on the eyes, and difficult to read text (especially the thin iOS 7 text).

There are things I like and don't like about iOS 7. That was true of iOS 6 as well.

I'm chiming in for a couple of reasons. I find the white background and text easy to read. If you don't, have you tried any of the following:

— Inverting screen colors;
    — Using a different color background in apps (iBook) that provide it;
    — Varying screen brightness;
    — Changing text size;
    — Enbolding text using Settings?

There are a couple of things about iOS 7 that I cannot stand, compared to iOS 6. First is the inability to delete albums in iTunes. Second is the limited number of views available in the Calendar app and the awkwardness of getting to them. I particularly dislike the lack of a full week's view. Reminders is similarly awkward yet improved also.

I have noticed that Siri sometimes does not respond. And, in a more interesting note, I have seen my screen expand and offset by 10 or so pixels, making it seem like it has shrunk physically. Most curious, however, was the increase in size of app icons when I was using a soft cloth to wipe off the screen. The apps increased in size such that I could only see a quarter of the screen. It was not scrollable and, when I tried a screen capture, the resulting image was normal.

A simple reboot/hard reset corrected all issues.

Overall, I much prefer the added functionality of iOS 7 even while not liking all of its visible design features.
  • Reply 65 of 197
    So when these problems
    come out it seems like the world is
    ending when in fact it just has a few
    bugs," said Kiran Bellubbi, CEO of
    Applauze - iOS7 has recieved its fair share of criticism but mainly because naturally people resist change and even a slight miss can tick you off!
  • Reply 66 of 197
    maecvsmaecvs Posts: 129member

I upgraded my iPhone 5 to iOS 7. One of the things I'm finding is when I am on a call the proximity sensor fails, and I start to ear dial. Very annoying.    

• Reply 67 of 197
    jd_in_sb wrote: »
    I have owned every model of iPhone ever made except the iPhone 5C. I always loved iOS and it got better with each new version. I hate iOS 7 because of the look. The new flat interface is terrible. Graphics are gone, everything is white. Everything looks like a cheap web interface. I love Apple but I hope Jony Ive gets a wake-up call. He's great but made a very ugly GUI. Everyone I know hates the look too. I hope Jony can correct his mistake.

I keep hearing people say they own every iPhone , Mac house hold and all that. Care to post a picture with your mac gear? You could google my name and you should see every mac I ever own (not including those that I use)

You hate some thing? Don't use it then. Mr Jony the I is her member of her majesty. Back just 100 years ago. The way you talk will cause the life of your entire household, and you will be hang in public. Please read some history.

You should be so glad you just born not long ago, child.
  • Reply 68 of 197
    A dying newspaper begs for attention
    by slamming a highly popular and
    successful operating system.
    All they're doing is looking for attention
  • Reply 69 of 197
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    There are two iOS 7 app problems which have yet to be fixed.

Both iBook and Kindle apps lag in handling an open book. That is, I have the app running with a book open, then switch to a different app, then come back to either iBook or Kindle. Both hang temporarily, the screen blanks, a spinner appears, then the current book page. Because both apps do this, I expect it is an iOS problem. I haven't seen a problem with the Nook app.

The second app that is having problems is GoodReader. It crashes, fairly consistently, and I have inundated the develop with the log file it generates. They are still debugging the problem.
    How do you switch? I just opened iBooks to an open book page, double clicked the home button to display my other open apps, clicked on music and it smoothly transferred to that display, then double clicked the home button again and clicked on iBooks' icon and it smoothly moved that display back over the screen. Just did the same with Kindle, smoothly moved to the new screen each time, back and forth...

Probably 4 finger gesture

????
  • Reply 70 of 197
    mactoidmactoid Posts: 112member
    I'M SHOCKED!!!!

Someone actually READS USA Today?

I had no idea. I just use it to pick up dog poop.
  • Reply 71 of 197
    I have never had problems with iOS 7. It works perfectly, is very elegant and I would never return. I just bought a new iMac. It works wonderfully. No issues. I use it for video production and photography. I look forward to Mavericks, new versions of Final Cut Pro X, Aperture. Next week I will buy a new iPad, the bigger one. I prefer the bigger one as I need extra storage capacity. 128Gb is excellent to me. And the new camera will be perfect. I use the iPad a lot, all the video and photography Apps are extremely inspiring. In short, to me everything from Apple works 100% and I love their products. I started using Apple products in 2003 and from that moment on, my creative life has changed for ever. Thank you, Apple, for all your marvellous products.
  • Reply 72 of 197
    My wife and both have iPhone 4's. I updated mine to iOS 7 but she left hers in iOS 6. I run geekbench 2 to see if there was any difference in performance an they both came out almost identical, iOS 7 coming out slightly faster. Although I prefer some of the older apps such as calendar and notes the new control centre and safari more than make up for these. All in all I am very happy with iOS 7.
  • Reply 73 of 197

I had noticed this about USA Today for sometimes now.  They print a lot of biased crap.

I just deleted their App from my iPad.  I recommend others to the same.

Regardless of what they print, iOS is available for everyone to try and choose for themselves.

• Reply 74 of 197
    I have had iOS since the iPhone 3GS and yes, for me, iOS 7 is the buggiest yet.
    Besides the famous bugs, I also had a few bugs that were not publicised and, trolling forums for solutions, I discovered a large community of angry apple users...
    An example? Hanging sync. Never had this issue before. Luckily fixed with a restore.
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3375382?start=285&tstart=0
    Here is a page I found that might be of interest for iPhone 4/4s users:
    http://readwrite.com/2013/10/15/ios-7-fixes-iphone-4-4s#awesm=~okHL2RaAuC2MF5

But it's not only bugs... I would argue that iOS 7 is currently intended to please american users with the latest phones... out of the few new functionalities, airdrop (https://discussions.apple.com/message/23078708#23078708) and iTunes radio (only available in the states) did not make it to my european iPhone 4s. So iOS is not as exciting to me as it can be to others, that's a fact.
    As for the sluggishness of the OS on an iPhone 4s and the fact you can't revert (http://www.extremetech.com/computing/167450-downgrading-from-ios-7-to-ios-6-why-apple-wont-let-you), this alone will force me to upgrade my phone. So if this was the intention. Congrats, you did it.
  • Reply 75 of 197
    Daniel --

I adore your articles. Keep it up
  • Reply 76 of 197
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    jd_in_sb wrote: »
    I have owned every model of iPhone ever made except the iPhone 5C. I always loved iOS and it got better with each new version. I hate iOS 7 because of the look. The new flat interface is terrible. Graphics are gone, everything is white. Everything looks like a cheap web interface. I love Apple but I hope Jony Ive gets a wake-up call. He's great but made a very ugly GUI. Everyone I know hates the look too. I hope Jony can correct his mistake.

What do you mean everything is white? The OS takes on the personality of your desktop wallpaper. If you do not like the color scheme pick a different wallpaper.

Moreover, everything is hardly flat. The GUI's animations make the OS feel layered. I have been using Apple products most of my 40 year life, and with the exception of the initial release of OSX, I have never been so happy with an update. The attention to detail is phenomenal.

My only complaints are with Siri and Maps. Siri's functionality is improved in terms of what it can do, however, Apple has to speed it up. The delay sometimes is too long, and it should not rely on the Internet for things like setting a reminder. I also really like Maps, and have never been given improper directions. However, Apple's reliance on Yelp for Point of Interest data sometimes results in not enough information being displayed and POI info is corrected slowly.
  • Reply 77 of 197
    Besides the famous bugs, I also had a few bugs that were not publicised and, trolling forums for solutions, I discovered a large community of angry apple users...
    An example? Hanging sync. Never had this issue before. Luckily fixed with a restore.

But it's not only bugs... I would argue that iOS 7 is currently intended to please american users with the latest phones... out of the few new functionalities, airdrop (https://discussions.apple.com/message/23078708#23078708) and iTunes radio (only available in the states) did not make it to my european iPhone 4s. So iOS is not as exciting to me as it can be to others, that's a fact.
    As for the sluggishness of the OS on an iPhone 4s and the fact you can't revert (http://www.extremetech.com/computing/167450-downgrading-from-ios-7-to-ios-6-why-apple-wont-let-you), this alone will force me to upgrade my phone. So if this was the intention. Congrats, you did it.

It stinks some features are not released worldwide yet, however, I am using ios 7 on an iPhone 4 currently as I am selling my other newer models. The OS is perfectly functional. It rarely feels sluggish. Of course, Apple has toned down the animations quite a bit on the iPhone 4. Perhaps a factory restore will solve some of your issues.
  • Reply 78 of 197
    crosslad wrote: »
    My wife and both have iPhone 4's. I updated mine to iOS 7 but she left hers in iOS 6. I run geekbench 2 to see if there was any difference in performance an they both came out almost identical, iOS 7 coming out slightly faster. Although I prefer some of the older apps such as calendar and notes the new control centre and safari more than make up for these. All in all I am very happy with iOS 7.

That is my experience in terms of speed as well. The iPhone 4 works just as well if not better with iOS 7 then it did iOS 6. Perhaps some processing intensive apps change the equation around, but I rarely had any performance issues. That is not to say, I do not really prefer the animation tweaks in newer models.
  • Reply 79 of 197
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Robin View Post

Bingo. My dad, a totally non-techie person, has been complaining from day one (after inadvertently "upgrading" to iOS7) about wi-fi issues that he never had before, impossibility to use Mail, weird UI paradigms and so on...another collleague of mine at work has been trashing it for its terrible battery life, the fact that mailbox accounts are forcibly merged etc...and people still that the USAT is just trolling... ;) 

• Reply 80 of 197
    mactoid wrote: »
    I'M SHOCKED!!!!

Someone actually READS USA Today?

I had no idea. I just use it to pick up dog poop.

The stick them free in front of a lot of hotel doors.