USA Today prints contemptuous trashing of Apple's latest iOS 7 release

Comments

• Reply 81 of 197
    I've also seen some bugginess. People, is a major system release.

For an update made on day one of the release tho, it's been incredibly well sorted. And most bugs I've seen happen on third party apps.

I normally don't update OSX until the .1 release. And the Mac installed user base is a fraction of that of iOS.

So big whoop. Bug fixes will come, which will work for most. The "alternative" is a huge, solid bug of ugly, slow and useless. I can deal with this.
  • Reply 82 of 197
    iPhone 5s running iOS 7, no issues! I Love the look of iOS 7, I Love the design of the phone! I wasn't worried about the design of the new safari icon or some other not pick thing and actually would hate to have to go back to iOS 6. It looks dated now!

Only iOS 7 issue I have is developers slow to upgrade their app to iOS 7!
  • Reply 83 of 197
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    DED articles like this are really coming across as whining fanboyism and really degrade the quality of this site. Boo fucking hoo hoo, a second rate news paper ran a yellow journalism piece so the obvious best course of action: immediately write a 1500 word diatribe crying about it.

Oh the huge manitee.

I appreciate him pointing out a serious problem with so called journalism. It is like a lot of so called news sites lately. They let advertising control what they write about. Take for instance, Samsung being busted along with other Android hardware manufacturers for trying to mislead benchmarking tests. Some major tech sites that take in a lot of Android marketing dollars did not run the story. Yet the same sites come up with these hit pieces on Apple, the so called competitor of their largest advertisers.
  • Reply 84 of 197
    Apple is doomed. It was doomed in 2004 and it will be doomed in 2014. Everything is normal. The only change is that Apple is worth a bit more now than it was ten years ago.
  • Reply 85 of 197
    At least Apple had some magic to lose. After playing with friends Android devices to get them to work with their other commuters and devices, Google doesn't have much of anything.
  • Reply 86 of 197
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    I'm concerned as well. I find 7 more efficient in many respects, and I can see where they're going, but looking back at 6 - yes, I think it lost some magic. I hope they're not satisfied, but hard at work perfecting and bringing back the magic.
  • Reply 87 of 197
    sirdirsirdir Posts: 187member
    iOS 7 is just ugly...
  • Reply 88 of 197
    "It's articles like the one in USA Today that are responsible for the proliferation of this negative perception. "

Seems high risk for USA today. Most of the money seems to flow the other way.
    Smackdowns are the norm too so it is either brave of just plain foolish.
  • Reply 89 of 197
    "I just deleted their App from my iPad. I recommend others to the same."

See what I mean. Any threatening letters sent from Somalia received yet?
  • Reply 90 of 197
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member

The article gets a few things wrong, but the basic premise is quite sound.

iOS 7 is a worse operating system than iOS 6. 

And it's not only less stable, it's visually uglier.  Now, stability is important, people notice crashes, but ugly is always in your face.

Apple knew how ugly it was before it was released, plenty of us told them, and they had plenty of opportunity to backtrack and not release something so incredibly ugly.  But too many egos were apparently tied up in that visual abomination, and they released anyway.

Now they get to pay the price.

As for me?  I'm sticking with 6 for now.  If Apple doesn't fix this mess by the time my current devices break, I may have to consider a switch to Android.  And I don't want to do that.

• Reply 91 of 197
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    I have had iOS since the iPhone 3GS and yes, for me, iOS 7 is the buggiest yet.
    Besides the famous bugs, I also had a few bugs that were not publicised and, trolling forums for solutions, I discovered a large community of angry apple users...
    An example? Hanging sync. Never had this issue before. Luckily fixed with a restore.
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3375382?start=285&tstart=0
    Here is a page I found that might be of interest for iPhone 4/4s users:
    http://readwrite.com/2013/10/15/ios-7-fixes-iphone-4-4s#awesm=~okHL2RaAuC2MF5

But it's not only bugs... I would argue that iOS 7 is currently intended to please american users with the latest phones... out of the few new functionalities, airdrop (https://discussions.apple.com/message/23078708#23078708) and iTunes radio (only available in the states) did not make it to my european iPhone 4s. So iOS is not as exciting to me as it can be to others, that's a fact.
    As for the sluggishness of the OS on an iPhone 4s and the fact you can't revert (http://www.extremetech.com/computing/167450-downgrading-from-ios-7-to-ios-6-why-apple-wont-let-you), this alone will force me to upgrade my phone. So if this was the intention. Congrats, you did it.

AirDrop has nothing to do with geography, it has to do with BT 4.0, which the 4S lacks. AirDrop is available on iPhone 5 and higher. So not a bug.
  • Reply 92 of 197

Archaic newspapers that can't get their head around 'change.'

Re-hear-lly?

iOS 7 is the beginning.  It's not the end.

Give it 6 more years.

I like it.  It's not perfect yet.  But it is promising.  I know like it more than iOS6.

It's still iOS.

Crisper.  Cleaner.  Better designed.

Progressive.

Forward thinking.

Simpler.

And I think more elegant.

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 93 of 197

'Ugly?'

That's subjective.

I think it's classy.

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 94 of 197
    Always do a clean install of a new OS.

Always.

Always.

One more time?

ALWAYS.
  • Reply 95 of 197

Perhaps this is meant to make Obamacare 'glitches' look reasonable. Wow, I just used Obamacare and reasonable in the sentence - that also qualifies as a glitch.

• Reply 96 of 197
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I love how people throw out the word "ugly" as if its fact and not just their opinion. Personally I thought iOS 6 was ugly. And I would take iOS 7 over it for control center and better multitasking alone. But again these are just my opinions. I would never try to pass them off as objective fact.
  • Reply 97 of 197
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    DED articles like this are really coming across as whining fanboyism and really degrade the quality of this site. Boo fucking hoo hoo, a second rate news paper ran a yellow journalism piece so the obvious best course of action: immediately write a 1500 word diatribe crying about it.

Oh the huge manitee.

He's largely responsible for turning a consumer - investor site into a Us vs Them dog fight. It's not even Android users. They don't care about iOS 7. Why would they.

I find iOS 7 glitchy and buggy and feel it was released too early. However i like the UI and the new features. Valid commentary is valid.

This report is what users of iOS 7 are saying - search twitter - this insane fanboyism must go.
  • Reply 98 of 197
    gplawhorn wrote: »
    Always do a clean install of a new OS.

Always.

Always.

One more time?

ALWAYS.

That's an excuse. Apple don't force a clean install so an upgrade is normal path.
  • Reply 99 of 197
    joelchu wrote: »
    I keep hearing people say they own every iPhone , Mac house hold and all that. Care to post a picture with your mac gear? You could google my name and you should see every mac I ever own (not including those that I use)

You hate some thing? Don't use it then. Mr Jony the I is her member of her majesty. Back just 100 years ago. The way you talk will cause the life of your entire household, and you will be hang in public. Please read some history.

You should be so glad you just born not long ago, child.

Really so in 1913 criticism of a "Sir" was a capital offence in the UK? I admit to not hearing that before , largely because it was bollocks.
  • Reply 100 of 197
    And Appleinsider has to publish an editorial to counter a bad review? Sounds like someone has a lot of Apple stock...