Apple seeds OS X 10.9 Mavericks Server GM to developers ahead of Oct. 22 special event

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

That will be more than welcome - a true update to a true desktop OS. I am tired of hearing about iOS crap. Oh, no - we are talking about the feature-deficient OS X Server...my bad.

Well, we haven't seen it yet, maybe they'll do a better job with this one than they did with 10.7 and 10.8.  After all, 10.6 Server was a pretty good release.

Somehow, I suspect they won't.

Apple's horrible recent server releases have left me in a really bad position, I'm not at all sure what to recommend to many of my clients.  I want to sell an all-Apple solution, but not only do I no longer have any server-class hardware to recommend, I no longer have a decent server operating system.  Windoze is NOT an option, which leaves me with a Linux solution, and while 10.6 Server was both reasonably powerful AND easy enough for my more advanced clients to do simple management tasks, Linux is over their heads.  Sure, it's more billable time for me, but that's really not what I'm trying to do.

• Reply 22 of 39
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    HAS SAFARI WINDOW LAG WHEN DRAGGING ANY SORT OF CONTENT IN THE WINDOW BEEN FIXED YET?

CHOPPA, CHOPPA, SLOW, CHOPPA...ETC.

Lemon Bon Bon.

Yes, but I am still getting the issue where I open Finder via an app and it takes many seconds before it will show the contents of the folder.

Also, why does Apple make Finder items load so much just to show you a simple file structure. When I'm at a remote location using WiFi, like at a Starbucks, it's faster for me to use Back To My Mac screen sharing to access my iMac at home then bring up Finder than it is to simply access the file structure from within Finder in Back To My Mac.
  • Reply 23 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

Well, we haven't seen it yet, maybe they'll do a better job with this one than they did with 10.7 and 10.8.  After all, 10.6 Server was a pretty good release.

Somehow, I suspect they won't.

Apple's horrible recent server releases have left me in a really bad position, I'm not at all sure what to recommend to many of my clients.  I want to sell an all-Apple solution, but not only do I no longer have any server-class hardware to recommend, I no longer have a decent server operating system.  Windoze is NOT an option, which leaves me with a Linux solution, and while 10.6 Server was both reasonably powerful AND easy enough for my more advanced clients to do simple management tasks, Linux is over their heads.  Sure, it's more billable time for me, but that's really not what I'm trying to do.

Yep, indeed my feeling as well. For another example, just look at the disaster called AirPort Utility 6 compared to 5.6 - I have never deleted the latter and still use it for my Extreme base, of course.

• Reply 24 of 39
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

HAS SAFARI WINDOW LAG WHEN DRAGGING ANY SORT OF CONTENT IN THE WINDOW BEEN FIXED YET?

Is this endemic to just the Server version of OS X? Because it has never happened, ever, with any DP of Mavericks plain.

Originally Posted by akqies View Post

Yes, but I am still getting the issue where I open Finder via an app and it takes many seconds before it will show the contents of the folder.

That’s just due to your hard drives spinning down when idle and having to spin back up to load said content into RAM. I’ve noticed it takes a little longer in Mavericks than previously. 

?There are still quite a few issues in Finder in the GM. Files don’t appear properly when you create them, renaming doesn’t show up right, and if you’re QuickLooking through several files with the arrow keys and want to move back and forth, they either blank out entirely or QuickLook crashes.

This is pretty basic stuff that shouldn’t have stuck in the OS past DP1… :\

Oh, and of course, Dashboard’s weather widget refuses to stay where I put it. CONSTANTLY moving every time it loads, and has been in every version of OS X since 10.4.6. 

• Reply 25 of 39
    That’s just due to your hard drives spinning down when idle and having to spin back up to load said content into RAM. <span style="line-height:1.4em;">I’ve noticed it takes a little longer in Mavericks than previously.</span>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;"> </span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">?</span>
    There<span style="line-height:1.4em;"> are still quite a few issues in Finder in the GM. Files don</span>
    ’t appear properly when you create them, renaming doesn’t show up right, and if you’re QuickLooking through several files with the arrow keys and want to move back and forth, they either blank out entirely or QuickLook crashes.

This is pretty basic stuff that shouldn’t have stuck in the OS past DP1… :\

Oh, and of course, Dashboard’s weather widget refuses to stay where I put it. CONSTANTLY moving every time it loads, and has been in every version of OS X since 10.4.6. 

All my Macs use SSDs, it's present in all Macs, including the one I started as a fresh installation, and this only started after a few of the Mavericks betas.

As for Dashboard widgets, since Apple can't monetize them they seem to not care about them yet also can't seem to get rid of it. It seems strange that they can't properly pin something to a relative point on a display, which includes Finder windows maintain their size and place, and columns within the window maintaining their size. I'd even settle for column width's autosizing to the longest file name so I don't have to drag that small area on the bottom to read names in column view.
  • Reply 26 of 39
    I understand one of the many benefits of osx server is that, not like windows servers, it supports standards like webDAV. That means that in the intranet, ipad clients can be content producers, as the documents can be saved in the intranet (and not only in the cloud), then shared, seen and edited by osx or even windows clients on common computers.
    Imo, this makes osx server trully strategic in the planned expansion of IOS use in the enterprise.
    The policy of microsoft has always been the opposite: adopting standards, then modifying them for propietary use, finally killing those standards.
  • Reply 27 of 39
    Originally Posted by akqies View Post

All my Macs use SSDs

Ah, so that’s just Finder being unoptimized, then. Wondered where that extra speed loss was coming from.

• Reply 28 of 39
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gravenstein View Post

The only things about the Apple Xserve that made it different from other Macs was the ability to be mounted in a rack and the fact that you had more flexibility with hardware configuration.

IMHO the only truly important feature of the Xserve was its support for LOM (lights-out management) -- the ability to power it on/off remotely. This can be accomplished with any other Mac, but only with an external remote control power switch and careful use of the "shutdown -u" command: if you cut power too soon, you risk corrupting the system; if you don't cut power to the system soon enough, you'll not be able to remotely power up again.

Secondarily, yet still important in mission critical deployments, the Xserve supported redundant power supplies.

• Reply 29 of 39

Mac OS X Server offers a reasonable option for many users* to host their own e-mail services and (generally) keep even the NSA's prying eyes out**. The NSA may only collect the message headers of your e-mail as it transits the Internet. If you send e-mail between family members that all use the same mail server, those messages are never transmitted in the clear over the Internet.

*Not most users, due to remaining technical difficulties and expense.

**Please let's not get into arguments over what the NSA can or can't do, legally or illegally, as I don't believe there is any question that hosting one's own e-mail server offers more privacy, particularly for intra-family communications.

• Reply 30 of 39
    akqies wrote: »
    And they only charge $20. It's no where near as full featured or as powerful as any other platform's server option but for $20 it's pretty phenomenal.

Bought lion server for $20. Would have returned it if possible.

It was the most fux0r3d app I've ever installed on any hardware. The thought that someone would attempt to use it to host business operations was sad and laughable.

After setting many options only to have them revert after rebooting I reformatted the had and dumped it.

Don't care if they ever fixed it - could never trust a platform that was released as buggy as lion server 10.7 was...
  • Reply 31 of 39
    vaporland wrote: »

It's easy to get a refund for iOS and Mac App Store apps. If it's an Apple product you get refunded instantly without it being reviewed.
  • Reply 32 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vaporland View Post

It was the most fux0r3d app I've ever installed on any hardware. The thought that someone would attempt to use it to host business operations was sad and laughable.

[...]

Don't care if they ever fixed it - could never trust a platform that was released as buggy as lion server 10.7 was...

Professional administrators--those operating in a business environment--commonly wait for the 10.x.3 release (or higher) of Mac OS X Server before upgrading to the next major 10.x release. This avoids bugs, security holes or instability that weren't evident at first or that Apple's development team knew of but could not remedy in time for the public launch. Early incarnations of Server, which first appeared in Lion 10.7.0, were particularly buggy, as was the migration utility for users who were previously running Mac OS X Server. Server seems clearly to have been unleashed on the public when it was, just to meet a milestone, when the software wasn't even close to being ready. You are not alone in having wasted a lot of time on it.

The Server app obtained through the App Store also isn't half the story of running a significant Mac server.  The legacy ServerAdmin and WorkGroup Manager are also still needed under Lion for a (semi-complete) GUI management facility. Mountain Lion did away with ServerAdmin, with much of its functionality migrated to Server. Administrating Mountain Lion Server is considerably easier for small-to-medium sized operation--and probably more difficult for large operations. It will be interesting to see what changes and improvements appear in Mavericks Server--the trajectory generally seems to be a good one, though.

• Reply 33 of 39
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Can I ask how many widgets you have?  I only ask because I only have a few (9 to be exact), and everything has always stayed where I put it. I was thinking that maybe if you have a lot of them, Dashboard for some reason rearranges them.  Just a totally random thought, on my part.

• Reply 34 of 39
    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Can I ask how many widgets you have?  I only ask because I only have a few (9 to be exact), and everything has always stayed where I put it.

Just ten. I couldn’t stand a screen full of clutter. :p 

• Reply 35 of 39
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Just ten. I couldn’t stand a screen full of clutter. :p 

Ah.  Oh well, my "brilliant" idea goes down the drain. :)

• Reply 36 of 39
    LOM and hot swappable power supplies is the reason OS X Server is not serious on the hardware front.

The software side speaks for itself.

Long live 10.6.8 likely the last proper server version of OS X we'll ever see.
  • Reply 37 of 39
    Ah, so that’s just Finder being unoptimized, then. Wondered where that extra speed loss was coming from.

There is a new GM for Mavericks that was secretly released today.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    Does Maverick audio and or video still stutter?

Stuttering has existed for 2 years. I recently booted up on 10.6.8 after using 10.8.x since it came out. 10.6.8 is very snappy compared to 10.8.5. Further 10.6 does not stutter.

Does Maverick return the snappy performance of 10.6?
  • Reply 39 of 39
    jimoase wrote: »
    Does Maverick audio and or video still stutter?

Stuttering has existed for 2 years. I recently booted up on 10.6.8 after using 10.8.x since it came out. 10.6.8 is very snappy compared to 10.8.5. Further 10.6 does not stutter.

Does Maverick return the snappy performance of 10.6?

I have never that issue with a shipping Mac OS X release so it's clearly not this blanket OS issue you are making it out to be.