Apple reportedly boosts iPhone 5s production by 75%, decreases iPhone 5c by 35%

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

The weight difference is that the 5c is 0.70 of an ounce or 20 grams heavier than the 5s. To a world class runner that might make a huge difference but for normal people not so much.

Well, go to Apple store and hold a 5s then hold the 5c...the 5c is a noticeably heavier unit. It does matter.

• Reply 42 of 54
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

"The analysts note two factors are accountable for the poor showing: a miscalculated China launch and consumer expectation that the phone would be "cheap.""

They have data on China already? What consumer expectation? Basically they are guessing. Consumers had no expectation of a 5C.

You dont even need Data for China to know they are selling poor over there. The amount of 5C they are being sold at below Retail price just shows how bad they are.

• Reply 43 of 54
    jungmark wrote: »
    Normal consumers don't read tech sites.

So ... You're a special customer?
    jungmark wrote: »
    The scanner is a present tech. Lots of folks don't password protect and that's dangerous. This gives a simple way to protect your data and won't be annoying. I password protect and I hate typing in my code 20 times a day.

Scanner? Is it a scanner? Is this the lexicon of special customers?
  • Reply 44 of 54
    Sure they do.  After all, the most recent survey on brand value rated Cisco #13.  More valuable than Disney or Gillette.  And the only way to even know who Cisco is, is to read tech sites.  /s.
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/09/30/apple-ends-coca-colas-13-year-reign-as-worlds-most-valuable-brand

He wants to think of himself as special (or abnormal). Why are you crashing his dreams?
  • Reply 45 of 54
    kevt wrote: »
    Most minds except Tim Cook - who sees plastic as an opportunity to increase margins rather than be more competitive on price.

If true this is obviously mixed news - neither of which I find surprising. The 5s is an amazing device and it's no surprise it's selling so well. I just wish they'd get mine delivered.

Reducing production of the 5c is a disappointing response. Knock $100 off the price and they would fly off the shelves.

= people hooked on iDevices = revenues to iTunes content and apps down the line.

Was Tim Cook's goal to sell more units, or more profitably? And what business is that of yours?
  • Reply 46 of 54

Remember the Macs IIvx and IIvi? The iPhone 5C(rapola) is their equivalent in the iOS world. You have been "IIvx-ed"... ;)

• Reply 47 of 54
    kevtkevt Posts: 195member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Was Tim Cook's goal to sell more units, or more profitably? And what business is that of yours?

I think my post in clearly indicates it's the latter.

And if someone can't post their opinions about Apple's direction on a website devoted to Apple without being told, 'what business is that of yours', then it's a sad state of affairs.

• Reply 48 of 54
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Well if he's a stock holder, it's every bit his business. Apple is not yet Tim Cook's private company to do with as he pleases.

Besides, I don't see the 5c increasing profitability yet. They still had to pay R&D and build a factory and hire employees to make it, and I don't see any evidence that the 5/5s combo wouldn't have sold just as many units as the 5c/5s, if not MORE. The 5 is a much more attractive phone than the 5s. I suspect people who didn't want to spend more than $99 on a phone, who were not iPhone diehards, chose another brand instead. How many people eyeing the iPhone for their next purchase were waiting for the 5 to become the $99 model and were rewarded with plastic. The percentages suggest about the same purchase ratio, and certainly the plastic shell accounts for some new purchases. But Apple launched a MASSIVE ad campaign, in the range of $200 million or more. That's a lot to recoup when the sales of the 5c didn't really exceed the percentage of the total the 4s sold compared to the 5 -- and the 4s had no marketing whatsoever. That to me is a failure, even if the model sold more phones overall -- so did the 5s, so that's a trend not specific to a particular model launch.

• Reply 49 of 54
    lol

so many missing the point of the 5C.

it exists for a few simple reasons:

1) to sell more 5S' - seriously. when you are looking at one product, you want the higher end model of that one product - especially when the price disparity isn't huge. If the 5c was cheaper, it would be different. but Apple sells it higher so that way when you are in the market for it, you end up lookinig at the 5S for "only" xxx more.

2) to enlarge profit margins versus selling the more expensive to produce 5, which would normally be the "discount" model at this point.

3) To make the "discount" model seem like a new product (instead of simply last years 5).

4) To give the "choice" of new phone - eliminating the same argument for a competitor phone.
    this way, Apple 5s competes against 5c, not android/wm phones.

And it is working.

Apple is selling tons of phones - with eh 5S selling the majority - and profit margins are healthier than they have been for a while.

no mystery. but some very clever tactics in pricing the thing.
  • Reply 50 of 54
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    brlawyer wrote: »
    They did, of course - everyone did. It's just Apple that flopped miserably when estimating demand for its cheapo yet expensive phone. Just more FACTS to prove how much of a failure the 5C is.

Facts? What fact? Rumors aren't fact.

kpom wrote: »
    But those sites were quoted enough in mainstream media sources such that many average consumers knew Apple was releasing a "plastic" iPhone and an iPhone with a fingerprint scanner before the official rollout.

I'm not surprised the 5c wasn't a $350 phone. I was somewhat surprised it wasn't a $450-$500 phone to start with, displacing both the 5 and the 4s in developed markets. Discounters here in the US have marked it down to $49 on contract (essentially $500). 

People watch the news or read the paper still?

ksec wrote: »
     You dont even need Data for China to know they are selling poor over there. The amount of 5C they are being sold at below Retail price just shows how bad they are.

So no data = made up conclusion.
    stelligent wrote: »
    So ... You're a special customer?
    Scanner? Is it a scanner? Is this the lexicon of special customers?

It was a reply to someone that used "scanner ". In addition, I'm a tech consumer. The average consumer doesn't know cnet and couldn't tell you what chip they have in their phones. They also wouldn't know or care for spec lists.
  • Reply 51 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Hey douchebag, it was a reply to someone that used "scanner ". In addition, I'm a tech consumer. The average consumer doesn't know cnet and couldn't tell you what chip they have in their phones. They also wouldn't know or care for spec lists.

So stop being a dick, if that's possible.

Douchebag? Dick?

Mods, please send this guy a letter.

• Reply 52 of 54
    starxdstarxd Posts: 128member
    [QUOTE]According to the post, Apple raised the iPhone 5c's price to reach an acceptable profit margin when Chinese carriers offered competitive subsidies during the country's Golden Week holiday. This suggests Apple may have miscalculated the 5c's launch timing, Teng and Lee write, as the company was supposedly targeting the Chinese market with the device.[/QUOTE]

I write for a living, and am reasonably good at reading comprehension, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what this paragraph means.

They raised the price of the 5c?
    Competitive subsidies during the Golden Week holiday?
    Miscalculated the launch timing?
    Huh?

Not one word of this paragraph makes sense to me. Can someone please translate this for me?
  • Reply 53 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by starxd View Post

I write for a living, and am reasonably good at reading comprehension, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what this paragraph means.

They raised the price of the 5c?

Competitive subsidies during the Golden Week holiday?

Miscalculated the launch timing?

Huh?

Not one word of this paragraph makes sense to me. Can someone please translate this for me?

It almost reads as if they used Google to translate the original Chinese article to English.

That's all I've got...

• Reply 54 of 54
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Douchebag? Dick?

Mods, please send this guy a letter.

They would if I wasn't telling the truth. But alas, I'm still here.