USA Today prints contemptuous trashing of Apple's latest iOS 7 release

Comments

• Reply 121 of 197
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

How about, instead of rambling on like a mindless Chimpanzee, you actually learn a thing or two about your product before blaming the whole world for your lack of knowledge?

Welcome to technology and OS upgrades, that can (and will) screw up some tasks from time to time. Goto your Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset All Settings option to wipe away all the old iOS 6 code and restore the device to a pure iOS 7 setup.

In 95% of situations where users are experiencing a glitchy iOS 7 upgrade, this gets them back on track.

It worked on my iPad 3 and iPhone 5, now they run like a hot damn with 7.

Oh, and BTW, things like the thin fonts, animations, etc, can almost all be made to look iOS 6 under Settings -> General -> Accessibility. Like I said, learn the product before you blame everyone else for your ignorance.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

Dump truck, ever heard of Reset All Settings? Do that and he'll be fine. This is not the first time carried-over settings make iOS a bit wonky, and it certainly won't be the last. Bashing iOS 7 and calling it out for this just shows your incompetence as a tech.

Wow.  I don't know where to start on this.

ignorance

incompetence

tech

Will update this post later.

• Reply 122 of 197
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sky King View Post

Nice idea but it isn't going to happen.  Mr Ive has been waiting for years to get this look and now that Steve Jobs is gone (this time forever) his political pull within the company has given him foll control over the iOS look.  One can only hope he cannot gain control over Maveric (sp?).  This is a really interesting example of how just one man with a vision can change an entire company.  Steve changed Apple for the better.  Mr Ive for the worse.  The single solution is to remove him.

When the football team has a couple of losing seasons you do not replace the players, you replace the coach. 

I saw a rumor that the Mac OS will be adopting elements of iOS7 after Mavericks.   My MacPro purchase will have to be before that and will have to last several years to get past the madness, if the rumor pans out.

No way in heck do I want my Mac to look like iOS7.

• Reply 123 of 197
    since upgrading my iPhone 5 to iOS 7 Messages has had problems, Siri is slower than ever, and when creating reminders, it no longer asks when I would like to be reminded, and simply dumps it onto the current day

don't even get me started on iOS 7 on the iPad - my iPad 3 is now as sluggish as molasses
  • Reply 124 of 197
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

One of the the beauties of Apple products is that you don't need to be a techie to use them. Are you now saying that's not really true and users really should research and be familiar with restoring operating systems and settings? Are you hinting that Apple shouldn't be offering OS updates to begin with but instead be doing full wipe and restores as part of the upgrade process? That's what it sounds like.

Right on.  Remember when all the PC guys spent all their time fixing stuff?  And Apple was "the computer for the rest of us"?  The fact that Apple products required almost no knowledge, were intuitive and therefore simple, and the UI helped us find things instead of obscuring them on an background of white and light gray is what got Apple to be the size they are.  Thank you Steve Jobs. 

• Reply 125 of 197
    No way in heck do I want my Mac to look like iOS7.

It already kind of started, with the hiding of the ~/Library directory.
  • Reply 126 of 197
    I angers me that Apple appears like a rabbit in the headlights against this repeating meme that "Apple is losing it's magic". Us Apple users and supporters are continually insulted and subjected to inaccurate reports and blogs around every corner; and Apple just doesn't seem to care. They need to get the message that no matter how untrue something is, in the age of new media, turning the other cheek just does not work. If someone says a lie often enough, it becomes the truth (remember "weapons of mass distraction"). If Apple does nothing to aggressively defend itself in the new media realm, they will start to see these constant negativity attacks start to hurt them badly. Samsung is a good case in point. They understand that if you saturate the media with your product / brand, people will start believing your message. Apple needs to start putting some serious money into advertising positively in every single possible corner of the market. And don't be scared of attacking either when you are already under attack.
  • Reply 127 of 197
    aegeanaegean Posts: 164member
    I too am frustrated with iOS7. It might be working fine on iPhone 4S or above but my iPhone 4 has become turtle, really. Every time I do something on it, It reminds me of running Windows Vista on pentium 1 machine, not to mention I have 5 Macs. But my iPhone is now damn slow. It's ridiculous as well that I can't go back to iOS 6. I even ended up with clean install of OS twice but it is darn slow.

But if that's what Apple has planned to force users to buy newer and speedy iPhone then I am at least not going to give $800 every 2 years to Apple for mobile phone.

Why the heck they don't allow users to go back to older OS of their if they want to, just like on Mac. iOS7 might be running perfectly fine on 4S/5 and above but it is not meant to drive iPhone 4.
  • Reply 128 of 197
    mmac wrote: »
    I angers me that Apple appears like a rabbit in the headlights against this repeating meme that "Apple is losing it's magic". Us Apple users and supporters are continually insulted and subjected to inaccurate reports and blogs around every corner; and Apple just doesn't seem to care. They need to get the message that no matter how untrue something is, in the age of new media, turning the other cheek just does not work. If someone says a lie often enough, it becomes the truth (remember "weapons of mass distraction"). If Apple does nothing to aggressively defend itself in the new media realm, they will start to see these constant negativity attacks start to hurt them badly. Samsung is a good case in point. They understand that if you saturate the media with your product / brand, people will start believing your message. Apple needs to start putting some serious money into advertising positively in every single possible corner of the market. And don't be scared of attacking either when you are already under attack.

Why does it anger you? Here's a solution: use and enjoy your apple products. Outside of that, get a life. Simple enough?
  • Reply 129 of 197
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    It's in a newspaper, so no one will see it anyway.
  • Reply 130 of 197
    focher wrote: »
    It's in a newspaper, so no one will see it anyway.

You so clever!
  • Reply 131 of 197
    Originally Posted by MMac View Post

no matter how untrue something is, in the age of new media

No, it was true in the age of old media, too. Or maybe you think that lemmings actually jump off cliffs because you saw it in a Disney documentary. 

Apple needs to start putting some serious money into advertising positively in every single possible corner of the market.

No.

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Question (I forget who’s asking it): “What are we going to do about the press? The Wall Street Journal reporters get up, sell Apple short in the morning, and then go write stories about us. And it’s clear it’s a perception versus reality problem. They don’t know shit about operating systems, they don’t know any thing about tools or what’s going on in the future. They don’t know that we’re building icebergs and that we’re building them from the bottom up.”

Steve Jobs: “Sure. I’m sure that a lot of you have had this experience where you’re changing; you’re growing as a person. And people tend to treat you like you’re where you were 18 months ago. And it’s really frustrating sometimes when you’re growing up and you’re becoming more capable; you have some personality quirks you’ve gotten rid of. And people still treat you like you were a year to 18 months ago. It can be very frustrating. It’s the same with a company, it’s the same with the press. The press is going to have a lag time. The best thing we can do about the press is embrace them, do the best we can to educate them about the strategy, but to keep the eye on the prize. And that is turning out some great products, communicating with our customers the best we can, getting the community of people–like yourselves–in the loop so you know everything, and just marching forward one foot in front of the other. The press will take care of–it’s like the stock price–the press and the stock price will take care of themselves. By the end of the year, it’s going to look quite different. And I, you know, I’m like an old man in this industry now. I’ve seen the ups and downs, and when you see enough of them, you know that’s going to happen. So when you get up in the morning and you see the press sell Apple short, go out and buy some shares!

*later*

Question: “So Apple has turned it around. We have you, we have Gil, we have G3, we have Rhapsody, we have Newton… great. When are we gonna see some really kick-ass TV commercials to change the mindset?”

Steve Jobs: “Yeah… I feel very good about [Apple turning around]. Um… I’ll give you my own opinion on this. Marketing is a subjective thing. It’s not a science; there’s a lot of art to it. My personal belief is that the medium does communicate a lot about the message. In some cases, the medium overrides the message. And I personally believe that Apple should not be on TV at all this year. It’s the wrong place to be for Apple. What it means is that Apple is trying to spend a lot of money to convince you that everything’s okay. And what I think Apple ought to be doing is taking a fraction of that money and putting it in print. And I don’t mean eight page Wall Street Journal ads. Because an eight page Wall Street Journal ad is saying, “I’m going to spend my wad to show you that I’m back.” And what Apple needs right now is not to be telling everyone we’re back, it needs for the journalists to be saying that Apple is back on page one. Because if on page 7 to 14 Apple’s spending a million dollars to say we’re back but on page one a journalist writes an article saying they’re in the tank, who’re you gonna believe? As a matter of fact, that million bucks on page 7-14 are gonna reinforce the message! “They’ve gotta buy me.”… …”I think that more than anything right now, PR is influencing purchasing decisions in this category”… …”I believe strongly that Apple really needs to talk about its great products and its great customers and its great applications and the best way for it to do that is in print in a very straightforward way. And I also believe very strongly that the high order bid of any market campaign is profitability. We spend a boatload of money marketing ourselves in a quarter and we lose money in that quarter… any positive momentum in that quarter is completely erased. So profitability is the high order bid for Apple at this time.”

– Steve Jobs, WWDC 1997.

I recommend watching the entirety of Steve’s WWDC ’97 keynote. It is, I think, one of his best. Knowing the future after that speech shows you that he already knew exactly what Apple was going to be.

A few things he says–“We’re too proprietary”, “tell the clone makers they can build their own hardware!”, and “milk the Mac for all it’s worth and move on to the next thing” are off. But that’s Steve, you know? He saw that he was wrong and didn’t go down those paths. But he knew where he was right–about everything else!

Who cares? Apple has STORES. Samsung has kiosks and, if this is what you’re saying, pays off other companies’ employees to steal sales from Apple.

NO. Do you get anything about Apple? Apple has soul. Apple puts its soul into its products, who in turn have soul. These products connect with users because of how they are made. Nothing else, from any other company, does that. And you want Apple to whore itself out to the media?!

When we hear that employees of the four telecoms are being paid to sell Android over Apple, I rejoice. Because THEY CAN’T WIN ANY OTHER WAY. They have to sell their souls to sell their products. And Apple products sell themselves.

That should never change.

• Reply 132 of 197
    iOS 7 updates on my iPads have been very good, flawless no but I really like the new look & new features of iOS 7 enough to compromise on my smart phone big screen wants to buy a 5s ETA 10/28 %uD83D%uDC4D
  • Reply 133 of 197

I dunno, maybe I care about ethics and right or wrong. Old fashioned me......

• Reply 134 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Why does it anger you? Here's a solution: use and enjoy your apple products. Outside of that, get a life. Simple enough?

I dunno, maybe I care about ethics and right or wrong. Old fashioned me......

• Reply 135 of 197
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Weird how iOS7 seems to be tailing off at 70%, I wonder if that's normal.  The graph even makes it look as if the proportion of iOS7 devices went down on the last data point.

• Reply 136 of 197
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member

When will AI stop taking things like bad reporting and distilling them down to unabashed digs against Google, Samsung and all things Android?  I get it, USA Today article is garbage, but let's hold off on the poo slinging mkay?  Maybe just rename the place to AndroidSucksInsider?

• Reply 137 of 197
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sky King View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

One of the the beauties of Apple products is that you don't need to be a techie to use them. Are you now saying that's not really true and users really should research and be familiar with restoring operating systems and settings? Are you hinting that Apple shouldn't be offering OS updates to begin with but instead be doing full wipe and restores as part of the upgrade process? That's what it sounds like.

Right on.  Remember when all the PC guys spent all their time fixing stuff?  And Apple was "the computer for the rest of us"?  The fact that Apple products required almost no knowledge, were intuitive and therefore simple, and the UI helped us find things instead of obscuring them on an background of white and light gray is what got Apple to be the size they are.  Thank you Steve Jobs. 

For about 15 Years I have always been amazed that the Windows Users see the "blue screen of death" as normal, expect to have to re-install the OS from scratch about 2 to 3 times a year. I have groaned and moaned that I have to use windows at work, like many others on AI probably. After a while it became accepted and they stopped complaining.

Apple used to be regarded as "better than that" ... remember "It just works" and all the other claims of superiority ??

Now we are getting used to IOS being buggy, updates not working, each release creating as many issues as it solves.

I don't see the progress in that. Not at all.

But maybe its just "reality" ... after all the programmers and OS Engineers on the market are the only ones available ... whether they go work for Apple, M$, Google or whoever, doesn't seem to make too much difference. Quality always suffers when ROI or Profit is the guiding force in Business.

• Reply 138 of 197
    kleokleo Posts: 1member
    ATTN author, readers of preceding article%u2014I think a very troublesome issue has been raised here that is not limited to just the profiled article. Let's call the USA Today article 'exhibit A' and analyze its relatively mild brand of yellow journalism: nothing really out of the ordinary here%u2014reads like a typical op-ed piece%u2014lopsided argument with word-on-the-street-style anecdotal references but no actual claim of hard data%u2014basically soft journalism with no claim of veracity. Now, allow me to present 'exhibit B', another USA Today offering on the topic of iPads:
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/talkingtech/2013/10/19/apple-ipad-talking-tech/2996291/
    Here is a synopsis:
    The author claims to interview people on the street, asking what they want out of a new iPad. Amazingly, the respondents happen to address the generic wish list of items already-expected features (thinness, new design/colors/camera) in almost uncanny sequential order, with the addition of 'usb port', something we probably can't expect in an iPad but know Microsoft loves to spin as a really groundbreaking differentiator in their Surface tablets (as anyone who has seen the new commercial knows). Now the last two paragraphs are the kicker. I'm
    not saying USA Today is guilty of abusing their journalistic integrity and trust by writing paid hit pieces for Microsoft under the label of actual news. You can be the judge of that:

"Meanwhile, archrival Microsoft is running an aggressive TV campaign pointing out that its Surface 2 tablet has features the iPad doesn't %u2014 like USB and a lower price, $350 to iPad's $499."

"I thought about buying (an iPad) but haven't done it," says Kim Stoebick, visiting from Albuquerque. The TV commercials are "a big factor for why I'm not going to buy it. I'm looking at the other one, because they have the USB port."
  • Reply 139 of 197
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MMac View Post

I dunno, maybe I care about ethics and right or wrong. Old fashioned me......

There are much bigger ethical issues in the world than Apple being fairly or unfairly criticized. 

• Reply 140 of 197
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Taniwha View Post

For about 15 Years I have always been amazed that the Windows Users see the "blue screen of death" as normal, expect to have to re-install the OS from scratch about 2 to 3 times a year. I have groaned and moaned that I have to use windows at work, like many others on AI probably. After a while it became accepted and they stopped complaining.

Apple used to be regarded as "better than that" ... remember "It just works" and all the other claims of superiority ??

Now we are getting used to IOS being buggy, updates not working, each release creating as many issues as it solves.

I don't see the progress in that. Not at all.

But maybe its just "reality" ... after all the programmers and OS Engineers on the market are the only ones available ... whether they go work for Apple, M$, Google or whoever, doesn't seem to make too much difference. Quality always suffers when ROI or Profit is the guiding force in Business.

Absolutely right. As I said before in this forum, Apple USED to be a company driven by design and innovation, which then led to supply-chain optimization and higher revenues. Now that SJ is gone and we have Cook, the world's FORMER best COO, everything is about listening to the likes of Icahn, granting them "dinners", worrying about "market share" and emerging markets (without even producing something for them) and releasing stuff that shouldn't have seen the light of the day in the first place (OS X Server, Podcasts app, Airport Utility 6, iTunes 11 and, yes, iOS 7).

Cook is definitely the worst CEO since Spindler, a fact which is masked by him surfing on the prosperous wave left by SJ's vision - once the latter is exhausted you'll all see how incompetent he is for the CEO job.