iOS 7 seeing slower uptake than Apple's iOS 6 - report

Comments

• Reply 181 of 275
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Aesthetics aside iOS 7 is an amateur piece of HI design. I'm a big fan of Jonathan Ive as an industrial designer and held out a lot of hope, based on my respect for his sensibilities, for his take on the iOS UI. Sadly, he has taught me that there is not much overlap between software HI and industrial design. Apple has lost an important, if poorly understood advantage with iOS 7. It is not unsalvageable, but Jonathan has to acknowledge his limits and bring in someone who understands HI and give them the authority to make changes. Keep the artsy design wonks at bay for a while until the HI people can clean up the mess.

Hmm...I use it every day on my iPhone 5 without any issues. Also while Ive no doubt provided the vision for iOS 7 it wasn't designed in a vacuum. He's not the only one involved and I'm sure wasn't the only one who had final sign off. People forget that Craig Federighi has responsibility for iOS and the human interface designers at Apple report to him, not Ive. From everything we know this was a collaborative effort, not just Ive dictating.

And if iOS 7 is so horrible and such a poor piece of software design where are all the stories of Apple software engineers/designers who complained about it or left the company over it? Believe me there are plenty of websites (including this one) that would publish rumors like that in a heartbeat if they existed.

Is iOS 7 a completely polished piece of software. No. But that would be near impossible to achieve in 7 months. Should Apple have waited until 2014 to release it? Maybe, but I think they'd be in a worse place now had they kept the iOS 6 style interface another year. Also there's nothing preventing Apple from iterating on iOS 7 and making some changes before iOS 8. I think Apple needs to be updating software more than once a year anyway.
  • Reply 182 of 275
    ppietrappietra Posts: 288member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by harharhar View Post

Sales data. Google it. Apple sells ~33 million iPhones per quarter. ~14-17 million iPads. iPod Touches are an insignificant amount. Now... Lets apply some simple math...

That's why I said if you just went with iPhones, you're a year and a half. If you include iPads, you're a full year.

Apple has already sold around 185 million iOS devices since October 2012, and that is without the last 3 months which probably added another 45 million devices, all of them updatable to iOS7.

Add another 190-200 million devices sold between October 2011 and October 2012, most of them updatable and you easily get 400 million devices. And there would still be several million devices sold before that date that could be updated to iOS7.

So, 200 million devices getting iOS7, easy!!!

• Reply 183 of 275
    quevarquevar Posts: 101member
    I updated my iPad, but find none of the new features worthwhile. It is just a different way of doing things, some a little better and some worse. I decided that it hasn't been worth my effort to update my iPhone and wife's iOS devices. At some point I might if compatibility becomes an issue, but I have not been limited yet and don't feel like I am missing anything.
  • Reply 184 of 275
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    I'm not updating to iOS7 because the color scheme of it is just frigging ugly. It looks like it was designed by pre-teen girls for pre-teen girls. And now I see that it has automatic updates to the iOS?

Never. I'm sticking with iOS6.

And I hope that Apple doesn't make their OSX more like iOS. It's bad enough that I'd rather use 10.6 over 10.8. I wonder what the heck 10.9 is going to bring?
  • Reply 185 of 275
    malax wrote: »
    I could display a 300x200 pixel picture on a HD TV, but I would not be "taking advantage" of the high definition capability.  Do you feel enlightened now?  

No I'm just as enlightened as before. The assets in other operating systems are designed for ultra high resolution displays.
  • Reply 186 of 275
    Trolls aside, how about the 3GS users who can't update to iOS 7?
  • Reply 187 of 275

I have had a few issues since upgrading (primarily with messaging) but overall I love IOS7.  I absolutely love the new easy access notifications and control panels.  My eyesight in low light is awful, so I love the new flashlight access via the control center where I don't even have to unlock the screen.  I am still trying to figure a few things out but overall I love the new IOS7.  

• Reply 188 of 275
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    sc_markt wrote: »
    I'm not updating to iOS7 because the color scheme of it is just frigging ugly. It looks like it was designed by pre-teen girls for pre-teen girls. And now I see that it has automatic updates to the iOS?

And I hope that Apple doesn't make their OSX more like iOS. It's bad enough that I'd rather use 10.6 over 10.8. I wonder what the heck 10.9 is going to bring?

Only if you use the wrong wallpaper.

My S4 is so dated, haven't Samsung heard a yellow daisy for photo albums is so 2007.
  • Reply 189 of 275
    Originally Posted by lukevaxhacker View Post

Trolls aside, how about the 3GS users who can't update to iOS 7?

Are you saying it like there are specific users with 3GS’ who can’t update or that the 3GS can’t have it at all?

Because you’ve already had four versions of iPhone OS/iOS. That’s more than any other iPhone (save the 4, which won’t get iOS 8) and more than any previous iPhone. iOS 7 would run like absolute trash on the 3GS, or iOS 7 wouldn’t be able to have ANY new features, ruining its purpose for everyone else. Gotta buy a new device.

• Reply 190 of 275
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    harharhar wrote: »
    Sales data. Google it. Apple sells ~33 million iPhones per quarter. ~14-17 million iPads. iPod Touches are an insignificant amount. Now... Lets apply some simple math...

That's why I said if you just went with iPhones, you're a year and a half. If you include iPads, you're a full year.

As Ppietra notes, your numbers don't add up. The fact that you extrapolated 6 quarters worth of data from just one quarter is a huge red flag.
  • Reply 191 of 275
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Jobs release OS X 10.0, remember that backlash?

I don't know enough about Jobs or his work at Apple to presume to speculate about what he would or would not do, but speaking specifically to the example you raised and how it relates to the subject at hand:

OS X eventually became a truly wonderful thing, but it took four generations to get there. 10.0 replaced a mature and well-understood UI with an inconsistent combination of ingenious and poorly-thought-out functions and controls. So, while it was ultimately a step in the right direction, the complaints from users were perfectly reasonable in the days before Tiger.

I expect the same will be true of the evolution of iOS. iOS6 to 7 may be to portable devices what OS9 to OS X 10.0 was to Mac -- a foundation for what will ultimately be a great thing, but so far is just a mashup of some genius, some shit.

• Reply 192 of 275
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

You can.

...but it's up to you to figure out how, because Mechanic doesn't want anyone to know how badly she sucks at trying to explain all those confusing technical gewgaws.

At least I guess that's why. I can't think of any other reason someone would just post a contradiction with absolutely nothing to support it.

You can't.

Yes, you can.

No, you can't.

Yes, you can.

No, you can't.

Yes, you can.

No, you can't.

Yes, you can.

Ahhh, that takes me back... it's like being three years old again.

• Reply 193 of 275
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac-Daddy View Post

You mad?

Yeah I am, mad at dumb-ass trolls like him who don't get banned quicker for their lack of intellect, integrity, or and common sense.

You should be thankful that lack of intellect is not a reason to be banned. Abusive terms like "dumb-ass trolls" should be. It would be very quiet round here if all the idiots left ;-)

• Reply 194 of 275
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

FYI: The color scheme changes with each wallpaper selection.

• Reply 195 of 275
    remereme Posts: 74member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

There is no fuss, just manufactured Internet stories to garner website hits. Next week Tim Cook will get up on stage and tell us iOS 7 is the fastest upgrade in iOS history. Also, a lot of the design or "polish" issues are fixable. Unlike the mess that is Windows 8. People seem to be forgetting that iOS 7 is really a version 1.0 product that was redesigned in about 7 months. I have no doubt it will get better over time. And I also have no doubt Apple will take customer feedback in to consideration. Probably more so than they ever would have under Steve Jobs.

Ha ha, right.  They don't use terma like "flat"  They us statements like, "I hate this",  "I can't see it very well now",  "I keep changing my picture (they mean wall paper) to make the icons easier to see",  "I wish I could go back" ,  I'm not making this up, and don't care if you don't believe me.

• Reply 196 of 275
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

FYI: The color scheme changes with each wallpaper selection.

Why yes it does, and I now use the darkest wall paper, outer space theme, black at the bottom so the favorites bar is the least obtrusive it can be (gray), and the stars can enjoy the parallax effect.  Meanwhile the screen full of folders get to be muddy gray, can't say I'm a fan at all.

• Reply 197 of 275
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RemE View Post

Why yes it does, and I now use the darkest wall paper, outer space theme, black at the bottom so the favorites bar is the least obtrusive it can be (gray), and the stars can enjoy the parallax effect.  Meanwhile the screen full of folders get to be muddy gray, can't say I'm a fan at all.

There's no "black at the bottom" of the iOS 7 space theme it is starry dark at the top, with a lighter nebula at the bottom. Similar in orientation to the aurora borealis with it's light green tints at the bottom with the dark sky top. The same with the space view of earth: bright clouded earth at the bottom, space at the top left...

The solid fields look blue to me though that's on a 5s.... so the tint might vary but the bottom not being dark won't be dependent on the model...

• Reply 198 of 275
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

There's no "black at the bottom" of the iOS 7 space theme it is starry dark at the top, with a lighter nebula at the bottom. Similar in orientation to the aurora borealis with it's light green tints at the bottom with the dark sky top. The same with the space view of earth: bright clouded earth at the bottom, space at the top left...

The solid fields look blue to me though that's on a 5s.... so the tint might vary but the bottom not being dark won't be dependent on the model...

I know, I had to make my own wallpapers, made the bottoms black to mute the bottom bar as much as possible.

• Reply 199 of 275
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RemE View Post

I know, I had to make my own wallpapers, made the bottoms black to mute the bottom bar as much as possible.

Makes sense that way, I'd taken your comment to mean the stock ones.

• Reply 200 of 275
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

Wow, so you're refusing to upgrade to a superior version of iOS because of the colours and the fact you gain automatic updates to ensure you always have the latest version, which I might add brings with it security enhancements and hardening?

And you're saying you prefer OS X 10.6 to 10.8? Talk about an old dog who can't learn new tricks. Fine, stay with iOS 6, hope it crashes and burns on you and you're forced to go with iOS 7. Security is only as strong as it's weakest link, and people like you are the weakest link in the chain.