Google adds free voice calling to Google Hangouts for iOS, incoming calls to Google Voice

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Frood View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I've heard that Google has pretty good voice recognition capabilities. I wonder if they are listening in on your conversations.

They do, via software.  The software filters keywords and may use those to target ads toward you.  It also (if you so choose) will transcribe any voice messages you receive into an email and send that to you- so you can get voice messages people leave you in either voice format and/or as an email.

If that creeps you out, you probably shouldn't use it.  Apple collects similar information too, but gets a pass from most of its users.  If you somehow avoid both of them, the carriers like AT&T do it too.  It is pretty tough to escape, but about the only way to do it these days is go live in a cave.

"...Okay, I love you too, goodnight honey...goodnight Google, goodnight Apple, goodnight AT&T."

And here I thought only the NSA could get a wiretap without a court order... silly me!

• Reply 42 of 54
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:

"...Okay, I love you too, goodnight honey...goodnight Google, goodnight Apple, goodnight AT&T."

And here I thought only the NSA could get a wiretap without a court order... silly me!

lol, its like a high tech version of 'The Waltons' =p

• Reply 43 of 54
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Quote:

lol, its like a high tech version of 'The Waltons' =p

You have (1) new TXT message:

"Nothing says I love you like Godiva Chocolates."

• Reply 44 of 54
    mstone wrote: »
    You have (1) new TXT message:
    "Nothing says I love you like Godiva Chocolates."

You have (230) new TXT messages:

(115)

"Macy's:
    Gold toe socks, it's a skip, hop, turn and..stop! You passed the F$king store already douche, turn back!

(115)

"Rob's Sationary Emporium:
    By stamps today, it's just 2 doors away..
    Are you Fcking blind!! You were there, go back!
  • Reply 45 of 54
    trumptman wrote: »
    I've tried this but the Google Voice app already allows me to make cellular calls and since I have unlimited minutes I don't care about making wifi calls. It doesn't allow you to receive your sms messages from the same number within the app so it is pointless. Then on top of that I'd have to ignore the 600+ people I have as friends on FB with whom I message through that app and go try to hang at Google+ which is a ghost town.

I use it for WebEx based conference calls when traveling on my Verizon iPhone.
  • Reply 46 of 54
    Quote:

They do, via software.  The software filters keywords and may use those to target ads toward you.  It also (if you so choose) will transcribe any voice messages you receive into an email and send that to you- so you can get voice messages people leave you in either voice format and/or as an email.

If that creeps you out, you probably shouldn't use it.  Apple collects similar information too, but gets a pass from most of its users.  If you somehow avoid both of them, the carriers like AT&T do it too.  It is pretty tough to escape, but about the only way to do it these days is go live in a cave.

You seriously misunderstand how this works. More likely, you're making it up.

• Reply 47 of 54
    You seriously misunderstand how this works. More likely, you're making it up.

Do tell us how Apple is so like every other information stealing company. Or are you just gonna ask everyone go "google it" about
    how Apple grabs (personal) data and Han delivers it to its advertising customers without consent or opt-outs because that story will be a good comedy. But the bigger question is?

What the hell does that have to do with encrypted iMessage or encrypted FaceTime?

Nothing: The answer.

http://www.apple.com/privacy/
  • Reply 48 of 54
    Re: Frood (not Struck Paper) pardon..

burts bees wrote: »
    Do tell us how Apple is so like every other information stealing company. Or are you just gonna ask everyone go "google it" about
    how Apple grabs (personal) data and Han delivers it to its advertising customers without consent or opt-outs because that story will be a good comedy. But the bigger question is?

What the hell does that have to do with encrypted iMessage or encrypted FaceTime?

Nothing: The answer.

http://www.apple.com/privacy/
  • Reply 49 of 54
    How dare Google give iOS users something awesome for free. Those monsters.
  • Reply 50 of 54
    How dare Google give iOS users something awesome for free. Those monsters.

There is no such thing as free software. You either pay for it as part if the price of your phone ie Apples way, or you pay for it by being constantly bombarded with adverts, googles way.
  • Reply 51 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crosslad View Post

There is no such thing as free software. You either pay for it as part if the price of your phone ie Apples way, or you pay for it by being constantly bombarded with adverts, googles way.

There's plenty of well-known software, such as Firefox, GNU/Linux, Apache, etc, that satisfy Richard Stallman's definition of "free software" (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html).

• Reply 52 of 54
    crosslad wrote: »

Why do people make such definitive statements that are clearly wrong? If you're not in the know, pls don't pretend to know.
  • Reply 53 of 54
    Wow captain obvious. You saved the day.

"Not for profit makes free stuff: news at 11"

If you run a money making business with expenses, budgets and income expectations, guess what...
    NOTHINGS FREE!!
    It ain't Not - for - profit right?
    Why are you making such a stink about the two. Only you are pointing out the obvious.

Topic is about companies that make money.
    Did you miss that obvious part?

- Google: ads
    - Apple: hardware/software
  • Reply 54 of 54
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Excellent article at Ars on how Google is taking more control over Android. Well worth reading.
    http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/10/googles-iron-grip-on-android-controlling-open-source-by-any-means-necessary/