The mysterious failure of Apple's iPhone 5c

Comments

• Reply 21 of 215
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OtakuFlyer View Post

The 5c may not be a failure per se, but people were expecting competitive pricing for emerging markets, i.e. India, China. Personally I wish that I could just buy a phone outright and just pay for a simm card, I really do not see any consumer benefit with the American pricing model.

Tell that to the millions who bought them. 

• Reply 22 of 215
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member
    Of course the 5S was always going to sell more than the 5C. I wouldn't be surprised if the 5C sold in volume comparatively to what the 4S did when the iPhone 5 was released in 2012. Also bear in mind many internals of the 5C are directly taken from the 5 which means inventory levels of components such as the A6 chip were already in abundance. It's really hard to gauge the numbers until Apple releases official figures. For the 5S to sell in record numbers just clarifies to Apple that there is no race to the bottom..
  • Reply 23 of 215
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Collectively, are the selling less 5C's than Apple sold 4S's when the 5 was introduced?

Obviously, with Apple customers, they generally want the latest and greatest and the 5C represents a lower cost version than the 5, which is now last year's model.. So, it would make sense that they wouldn't sell as many 5C's as compared to the 5S, but let's compare the sales of the previous second tier models.

So, can anyone cough up some sales figures of the 4S sales (once the 5 was announced) compared to the 5C sales?
  • Reply 24 of 215
    elmoofoelmoofo Posts: 100member
    We bought a 32g blue for our daughter and it's an absolute delight. I wish my 5s was as comfortable to hold, and felt as rugged. The shell is so well-done. It feels more ceramic than plastic.
  • Reply 25 of 215
    The merits of the argument made here are undermined by the distraction of what has become a familiar wounded-fanboy tone in Daniel Eran Dilger's articles. His recent piece "WSJ backpedals on iPhone 5c supply chain cuts story" had a similar tone.

Click-bait editorializing is one thing, but these articles get a little too close to sounding like sophomoronic sneering. This all the more disappointing when, as is the case with these articles, there are actually some sensible points buried in the haughty sarcasm.
  • Reply 26 of 215
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firelock View Post

I just bought my daughter a 5c for her birthday. It's a great phone and I was happy to have saved $100 over the similar 5S model. I am mystified by people who think $100 less is somehow "not much cheaper." I don't know anyone who doesn't think $100 is not a significant savings. Anecdotally I saw that three people where I work have bought 5C phones in the last few weeks. Admittedly they are all women but last I heard women make up a substantial portion of our population.

Very well said; I agree 100%. 

Also, I expect that if there were a 5SC--with all the 5S specs, the 5S price, in a 5C plastic case--it would be a huge seller.  Not everyone prefers metal+glass to colored plastic.

• Reply 27 of 215
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member

<em>The Verge</em> was on scene at the Surface's splashy Time Square launch party, <a href="http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/26/3558354/microsoft-surface-launch-new-york">noting</a> that "Microsoft created what can only be descried [sic] as an expensive spectacle."

They spelled "decried" wrong. :p
  • Reply 28 of 215
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    Every product is not going to be a smash hit. And every criticism in the USA today or WSJ does not require a major expositional analysis. The people who read those rags aren't going to be reading this and people who read this blog are going to defend Apple right or wrong. I am glad they tried something new if only I shut up the financial analysts who were predicting doom if Apple did not release a cheaper phone.
  • Reply 29 of 215
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I think AI needs to change the headline. Just looking at the headline makes it appear that AI supports the 5C failure meme.

Turn on your sarcasm detector. That will help.

Also, remember: link bait only works with negative headlines.

• Reply 30 of 215
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    otakuflyer wrote: »
    The 5c may not be a failure per se, but people were expecting competitive pricing for emerging markets, i.e. India, China. Personally I wish that I could just buy a phone outright and just pay for a simm card, I really do not see any consumer benefit with the American pricing model.

Why provide a product with 'competitive pricing' when releasing an even better version in gold causes it to sell out so quickly that it rapidly becomes rarer than gold itself?

;)
  • Reply 31 of 215
    halhiker wrote: »
    The 5c is only a failure in relation to the 5s. I don't know if Apple considered that $100 bucks is not enough of a savings for people to forgo the latest and greatest.

Perhaps saving $100 isn't enough for the customers at Walmart, so Walmart dropped the price another $50. That means Apple makes its full margin while Walmart takes the hit... but if Walmart is using the iPhone discount to draw people into their store, then it still wins.

firelock wrote: »
    I just bought my daughter a 5c for her birthday. It's a great phone and I was happy to have saved $100 over the similar 5S model. I am mystified by people who think $100 less is somehow "not much cheaper." I don't know anyone who doesn't think $100 is not a significant savings. Anecdotally I saw that three people where I work have bought 5C phones in the last few weeks. Admittedly they are all women but last I heard women make up a substantial portion of our population.

I think, as you do, that women love the 5c, in addition, I expect the younger buyers/users to be the market for which the 5c is/was intended. With the combination of 5s and 5c Apple does appeal to a broader market. I am surprised that the sales remain skewed so heavily toward the 5s, but maybe that sales will balance out more as the holiday season gets into full swing.

What is most important for Apple is that they have a phone for the various demographics.
  • Reply 32 of 215
    Quote:

Originally Posted by OtakuFlyer View Post

People's misguided expectations does not equate to the failure in reality. 

• Reply 33 of 215

Failure? Hardly.

Below Apple's expectations? Quite possibly.

• Reply 34 of 215
    DED: it's really time for you to take a vacation, these apologist pieces are just bad. Pls go.

No his apologist pieces are excellent! You are the one who needs to go. Thankyou DED for being one of very few tech writers who is brave enough to call out incorrect speculation. Yes DED articles are rife with sarcasm, that's what makes them great to read. They are also full of quoted facts! If you don't like the sarcasm you're probably a very boring person.
  • Reply 35 of 215
    malax wrote: »
    I expect that if there were a 5SC--with all the 5S specs, the 5S price, in a 5C plastic case--it would be a huge seller.  Not everyone prefers metal+glass to colored plastic.

I would expect that as well, however I just returned from shopping with my niece for a new phone for her. She's 46 and has a Samsung flip-phone. She went right for the silver 5s iPhone. It didn't mater what the specs were, compared to the 5c, or that the 5c was less money. She lusted after the silver 5s and that was that.

I guess the selling factor in this case was the range of choices of finish/color, not price or specs.
  • Reply 36 of 215
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    drew0020 wrote: »
    The 5C is a pos. why anyone would care about $100 when they sign a 2 year $2,000 contract is something I will ever understand...

In typical (as of late) apple insider had yet another fan boy article for no apparent reason.

Why do people buy generic ibuprofen instead of Advil or generic acetaminophen instead of Tylenol. In each case, consumers may save a $1 or $2.
    Failure? Hardly.

Below Apple's expectations? Quite possibly.

So you work for Apple? Exceed Apple's expectation? Quite possibly.
  • Reply 37 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

So you work for Apple? Exceed Apple's expectation? Quite possibly.

So you've never speculated about something in this forum?

Why would I have to work for Apple?

If it has exceeded Apple's expectations then I'd say Apple has lowered its standards.

• Reply 38 of 215

IF there is truth in the rumor/fact (Frutmor®) that the aluminum shell is responsible for low yields THAN isn't it obvious that Apple had to replace the 5 with something easier to manufacture? Especially if the new 5s model was going to be in the same aluminum shell? 

That is, if they can't manufacture enough phones for the demand of the 5s, what would have been the situation if they had to make aluminum shells for the 5c AND 5s? 

I think Apple saw this problem and accounted for it brilliantly: Replace the 5 with a very slightly bumped model in high quality plastic. Why not go colorful at the same time? 

What would the price for a iPhone 5 be if the 5c hadn't been announced and the 5 hung around like the 4s did? I believe it would have been about the same as the 5c, and the 5c is arguably a slightly better phone. 

As to the question of how many 5c phones have sold, who knows. We'll have to wait until / if Apple releases a breakdown like that. 

Also, as to the assumption that the 5c was a cheap phone for China/India, well.. no. Next year, maybe it will be. I hope Apple knows how to work those markets. I certainly don't and I suspect those here who have the time to say they do know how to work those markets are probably not the experts. Except maybe in their own heads. 

Is there a way to create accountability on the internet yet?

• Reply 39 of 215

it is simple...money.  the vast majority of bloggers and analysts are paid shills. The amount of money Microsoft, Samesung, Google, etc... are throwing around is mind boggling.  There is no other viable explanation for the anti-apple reports out there.

• Reply 40 of 215
    Half-arsed article trying to cling to the clearly incorrect media bullshit line whilst also putting forth a logical and realistic appraisal of the unknowable financial situation.

Grow some balls AI, pick a side of the fence to sit on before your nuts drop off.

PS: I am surprised Apple (or a class action by investors) does not sue all these morons called journalists who prognosticate about things they don't understand with the sole purpose of hurting Apple and investors. There is clearly an ulterior motive, insider trading perhaps?