Apple inventory snapshot suggests new MacBook Pros imminent, non-Retina iPad mini may live on

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
A near last minute snapshot of Apple's indirect channel inventory ahead of Tuesday's media event supports expectations of new Retina MacBook Pros, 9.7-inch fifth-gen iPads, and a redesigned Mac Pro, but shows surprisingly large stock of Apple TV and the most popular iPad minis.

Inventory Update

An overview of the inventory data has been summarized in the table below. It should be noted that the data behind the chart comes from one of Apple's indirect channels that support big-box retailers and resellers, and not those channels that serve the company own online and retails stores. It therefore should b.e used only to supplement existing information surrounding the company's upcoming product launches on Oct 22, as it does not offer conclusive evidence in all cases.

For instance, while the data from the channel -- and AppleInsider's own Mac Price Guide -- clearly points to revised 13- and 15-inch Retina MacBook Pros, new 9.7-inch iPad Retinas, and near term availability of the Mac Pro, it paints a less definitive picture of plans for the iPad mini and Apple TV product lines.

According to one person familiar with the data, inventory levels of Apple's $329 16-gigabyte iPad mini Wi-Fi and $429 32-gigabyte iPad mini Wi-Fi remain "shockingly" high, with the remainder of the existing iPad mini line being in average-to-constrained supply. This could suggest that Apple may be planning to keep at least some of the non-Retina iPad mini models on the market at a lower price point than the new Retina iPad minis the company is widely expected to introduce on Tuesday.

Inventory Update

Alternatively, Apple may have just recently dumped its remain inventory of iPad minis from its direct channels into its indirect channels ahead of next week's introductions, a practice that is not uncommon for the Cupertino-based company when it needs to clear out its channel for new stock.

Similarly, those familiar with the matter added that inventory of Apple's current Apple TV model is "the highest its been in months."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 73
    People will take from this that we will not see a Retina iPad mini this year. I am still betting that they will announce it Tueday and ship them in November
  • Reply 2 of 73
    "Alternatively, Apple may have just recently dumped its remain inventory of iPad minis from its direct channels into its indirect channels ahead of next weeks introductions, a practice that is not uncommon for the Cupertino-based company when it needs to clear out its channel for new stock."

Citation?
  • Reply 3 of 73
    duplicate
  • Reply 4 of 73
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Maybe they'll drop the price of the models that are in "good inventory" while they come out with newer models to replace the existing ones at the current prices? Just a possibility, but not a high probability.
  • Reply 5 of 73
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    I still believe Apple will keep the non-Retina mini and reduce the price slightly to $299+, add the Retina mini model for $399+, and the full size for $499+. iPad 2 is no longer filling the $399 slot so it follows Apple's model of shrinking size but increasing resolution. Mini's will feature A6 and A6X accordingly. 9.7" iPad can expect an A7X processor.
  • Reply 6 of 73
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    I should note that this provides something at every price point (not including contracts). iPhone 4S at $0, 5c for $99, 5s for $199, iPad mini $299, Retina mini for $399, full size iPad for $499-$799. Now the real question is what will Apple squeeze between the high end iPad and the low end 11" MacBook Air? My guess is an eventual A7 or A8 powered MacBook Air...
  • Reply 7 of 73

Doesn't the iPad mini have the same pixel count as the iPad 2?

If Apple were to introduce a Retina iPad mini, I assume it would have the same pixel count as the bigger Retina iPad. This means a higher resolution screen for the mini.  I wonder if such screens are available and what they would cost Apple.

Anybody have any knowledge about this?  Please share.

• Reply 8 of 73

New Retina Macbook Pros are pretty much given.  Haswell will certainly boost battery life. Plus PCIe flash and faster WiFi to make them current with the technologies employed in the Macbook Air.

What I wonder is whether Apple will rationalize the product line.  Will they drop at least some of the old Macbook Pros even if they keep the low-end 13?  Will they add Fusion drive?  The Mac mini and the iMac have the Fusion drive, but the Macbook Pro does not.  Would love to see more storage at lower price points even if it is not all flash.

• Reply 9 of 73
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

I wonder if such screens are available and what they would cost Apple.

Anybody have any knowledge about this?  Please share.

There are phones that have 1080 screens, and they are smaller than an iPad Mini, so yes, such screens do exist.

• Reply 10 of 73
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    There are phones that have 1080 screens, and they are smaller than an iPad Mini, so yes, such screens do exist.

But can they perform to Apple's specifications?
  • Reply 11 of 73
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    applegreen wrote: »
    New Retina Macbook Pros are pretty much given.  Haswell will certainly boost battery life. Plus PCIe flash and faster WiFi to make them current with the technologies employed in the Macbook Air.
    What is interesting here is that PCI Express flash, Samsung has announced that it is now shipping 3D flash technology in volume. This could be very interesting in the Mac Pro and Mac Book Pro as it could put a lot of storage space on those little cards Apple uses. Possibly cheaper storage too, though bleeding edge comes with a premium in most cases.
    What I wonder is whether Apple will rationalize the product line.  Will they drop at least some of the old Macbook Pros even if they keep the low-end 13?
    I think that is a matter of demand and supply. If production capacity is there everything will go retina in the Mac Book Pros.
     Will they add Fusion drive?  
    Storage space is a real issue in the retina Mac Book Pros so that would be nice. However if Apple is one of the companies Samsung is shipping 3D tech to, we could see significant increases in SSD sizes at current prices.
    The Mac mini and the iMac have the Fusion drive, but the Macbook Pro does not.  Would love to see more storage at lower price points even if it is not all flash.

True, it is a big shortcoming of the retina MBPs. Even if Apple implements higher tech "drives" I'd like to see them support two blade slots in each retina MBP. It simply makes the machines feasible for a wider array of users.
  • Reply 12 of 73
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

But can they perform to Apple's specifications?

I suppose that we'll know the answer to that on tuesday, when we find out if there is a retina iPad Mini or not.

And let's be honest, the current iPad Mini screen is not all that great. It's totally acceptable and usable, but pales in comparison to the full size iPad screen. I have both, so it's pretty easy to see the difference, and I'm not just talking about the obvious difference in resolution, but the colors etc.

It should not be a problem for Apple to get a hold of a decent retina screen that is 7.9", IMO.

• Reply 13 of 73
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

The iPad Mini is analogous to the Macbook Air - ultraportable, battery weight being a primary concern, and Retina would eat more battery.

I think Apple still regards Retina as a pro feature for this year at least. The Macbook Pro has it, The Mac Pro will in a few days (Phil spoke about 4K monitors at WWDC), but the iMac and Macbook Air were both recently updated without it.

• Reply 14 of 73
    Can you imagine a $279 iPad mini (first gen)? Or, dare I say $229? I say $279 because the 16 gb iPod touch is currently $229

It will be the step to choke out all but the cheapest of tablets, as the various iPod models did.
  • Reply 15 of 73
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

The iPad Mini is analogous to the Macbook Air - ultraportable, battery weight being a primary concern, and Retina would eat more battery.

I think Apple still regards Retina as a pro feature for this year at least. The Macbook Pro has it, The Mac Pro will in a few days (Phil spoke about 4K monitors at WWDC), but the iMac and Macbook Air were both recently updated without it.

You make a good argument for no RMini....still? :)

• Reply 16 of 73
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    ascii wrote: »

iPad mini is only iOS devices without retina. iOS 7 is pretty crappy on non-retina screens. If iPod touch and every iPhone has retina why is it so hard to get retina into a mini? I don't think it's fair to compare the MacBook Air and Pro. To me the non retina mini is akin to doing a 15" rMBP but not a 13" inch. In terms of functionality there really isn't anything the full size iPad has that the mini doesn't. Apple can leave the mini non retina but a lot of people will be unhappy and I do think it will negatively impact iPad sales. This isn't a case of trying to upsell people, because some people just want the more portable device. Why should people who prefer the smaller form factor be penalized?
  • Reply 17 of 73
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

iPad mini is only iOS devices without retina. iOS 7 is pretty crappy on non-retina screens. If iPod touch and every iPhone has retina why is it so hard to get retina into a mini? I don't think it's fair to compare the MacBook Air and Pro. To me the non retina mini is akin to doing a 15" rMBP but not a 13" inch. In terms of functionality there really isn't anything the full size iPad has that the mini doesn't. Apple can leave the mini non retina but a lot of people will be unhappy and I do think it will negatively impact iPad sales. This isn't a case of trying to upsell people, because some people just want the more portable device. Why should people who prefer the smaller form factor be penalized?

It's a good point about iOS 7, I didn't think of that, because in one of his interviews Jony Ive said iOS 7 was the first iOS designed with Retina in mind from the beginning. But I still think the iPad Mini is more like the Macbook Air than the 13" Macbook Pro, so I stick with my prediction that it won't have Retina. Anyway we will know in only 3 days, and if I'm wrong you can reply to this post with "Haha."

• Reply 18 of 73
    :)
  • Reply 19 of 73
  • Reply 20 of 73
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

iOA 7 is not only crappy on non-retina screens it will be equally crappy on retina.  It will still have the same UI deficiencies and until someone gets rid of Mr Ive it is not likely we will get relief from this.

To say nothing of the fact that iCal and Reminders are not reliable in their function.