The mysterious failure of Apple's iPhone 5c

Comments

• Reply 101 of 215
    charlituna wrote: »
    So much FUD. We have no idea how many have sold etc.

Whatever Ming-Chi Kuo says. He's never wrong, remember? /s
  • Reply 102 of 215
    longsilver wrote: »
    The merits of the argument made here are undermined by the distraction of what has become a familiar wounded-fanboy tone in Daniel Eran Dilger's articles. His recent piece "WSJ backpedals on iPhone 5c supply chain cuts story" had a similar tone.

Click-bait editorializing is one thing, but these articles get a little too close to sounding like sophomoronic sneering. This all the more disappointing when, as is the case with these articles, there are actually some sensible points buried in the haughty sarcasm.

So go ahead post a better editorial on AppleInsider. You have their contact info.

Those who do, do.
    Those who can't, don't.
    And those who think they're better than others criticize.
  • Reply 103 of 215

What’s this? The phone SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED NOT TO SELL AS MANY PHONES AS THE OTHER PHONE isn’t selling as well as the other phone? And Apple’s supposed to be upset about this? How stupid can people possibly get?

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

So much FUD. We have no idea how many have sold etc.

Sure we do: “fewer than the 5S”. And that’s all that matters.

Apple’s cracking open champagne right now. The 5C did what it was supposed to do: NOT sell better than the 5S.

Originally Posted by city View Post

The iPhone 5c will be part of the Apple lineup for years to come.

Well… ONE more.

Originally Posted by Mike Fix View Post

The (C)rappy version isn't successful?  Shocker...since Apple is known for (C)heap.  

Hush. Adults are talking.

• Reply 104 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Jung- you and rogi are correct. Island is wrong- yet again (what's new?). He has no idea what apples expectations are- so he can't argue of they're good or bad. Although he pretends to know what their expectations are. How? No clue- he won't reveal his sources.

What we can't argue with is if the 5c has been a commercial success. All numbers and signs point to yes! But I think island wants it to fail, so he will pretend that apple shares his views. Strange bird that one...

Oh, great... using jungmark, a banned member, as an example of your little cabal. Nice group.

You really got to get out more pookie and stop stalking people.

Actually, I really don't think Rogifan wants to be part of your group. He/she seems to be much too civil and logical.

Nothing I have ever said points to a wish for failure of the 5c.

I believe that Apple wasn't trying for higher margins, I think they were trying for higher share... much higher share. Otherwise, why advertise the crap out of your mid tier phone while not giving any marketing space for your top tier phone. if you aren't expecting to produce enough top tier phones for the demand, which was also evidenced by the 5, then what is Apple expecting to fill that void... the 4s? Hardly. Apple was expecting the 5c to fill that void and when it appears to be sitting on store shelves in great abundance then that tells me it aint flying out in droves. Is that what you cal exceeding expectations? Really.

This whole idea that the 5c is cheaper to make than the 5. I don't see you guys jumping all over that statement... but nobody has shown me anything from Apple to say that is the case. Nothing. actually, all I've ever heard from anyone over the last couple of years is that phones get cheaper to make the longer they are produced. If the 5 was so damn hard to make why didn't Apple change the design of the 5s slightly to make it easier to produce. ... and who the hell ever said that the 5c is easy to produce? I see nothing from Apple backing up that statement either. Why aren't you all over that statement.

I believe that Apple really wanted the 5c to suck the air out of the room and I don't think Apple achieved that goal. Apple doesn't seem to have done any better so far with the 5c than they would have done by just altering the 5. I can't see any company putting that much effort into a phone and not expect it to do much better than any other mid tier phone has in the past. An excess of stock from day one; the ability of big box stores to give discounts, which to me says they have a lot of stock; a statistical dead heat in the US with the 5s as the 4s/5 last year; and even the inability of the 5c to knock a 4 month old phone off the 2nd place tier on 2 of the big 4 phone networks tells me that the 5c may have still met Apple's expectations but it sure as hell didn't exceed their expectations. Exceeding their expectations? If Cook and company have any brains, and I think they have more in 2 people than most companies have in their whole organization, then exceeding expectations would mean blowing the doors off of the mid tier 4s from last year... and it sure doesn't appear to have done that.

• Reply 105 of 215
    Adam Turner of the Sydney Morning Herald was always a notorious Microsoft shill who like so many became a Samsung shill when even they had to face facts. As someone who has so relentlessly bashed Apple at any opportunity, anything he writes can only ever be taken as light entertainment... something which applies equally to the other tech writers in the beleaguered Fairfax group.

Given the lack of any integrity or authority in so much written about Apple, I often wonder what the reasons are. Is it really just journalistic incompetence coupled with old enmities (certainly some writers will never be able to forgive Apple their success), or is there something more sinister going on? Microsoft's famous dirty tricks department has never been shown to have achieved anything significant, and though Samsung has a long track record of fraudulent business practices, it's hard to make the leap and assume they are successful where Microsoft failed. But it's also hard to make sense of the depth and longevity of the anti-Apple campaign.
  • Reply 106 of 215

Being on a tour of several major cities in China's south-east at the moment, I can make some observations that some here will probably troll on later...

The first thing I've noticed, that in cities where Apple has direct presence with a genuine Apple store, such as Shanghai where they have three MASSIVE stores, the iPhone is EVERYWHERE! Apple dish out huge amounts of cash on the iPhone marketing in that city, most notably more attention being given the 5c than 5s. You can see huge billboard ads from China Unicom for the 5c/s, and even Apple direct billboards on almost all transit bus stops, metro hubs, on LED building signs, and the marketing effort is definitely paying off... When I walked around Pudong, The Bund, and People's Square districts, almost every person had either a 4S or 5 in their hands. I've only seen a handful of 5c's, and almost no 5s'. When I spoke to people at the Apple stores, they do claim stock of the 5c has been better, but they've also experienced sell-outs of the 5c in all colours. The 5s is basically the lost treasure, as there's almost never any stock, and when it comes in, it's sold INSTANTLY. Reps at the cellular outlets also concur that 5c traffic is brisk, and 5s is like a tornado.

When you begin moving to other cities with no Apple Store presence, the landscape changes dramatically. The only iPhone ads you continue to see are the China Unicom billboards, and the Apple direct ads for the 5c. Notice a theme in my post? Apple is spending significantly more advertising dollars on the 5c in China than the 5S. The issue though, is like elsewhere in the world, China Unicom barely has any stock of either model, and they are exceedingly difficult to come by. In the mainland, the primary brands you see on the streets are Lenovo, Huawei, Coolpad, and Samsung. Another strong showing are the Samsung knock-off brands, they are everywhere in the mainland areas.

Also, in cities such as Wuxi, where the mean income is higher and the living standard is better, once again the iPhone makes a significant showing. When I asked at a few outlets of China Unicom and China Mobile, they both claim demand for the iPhone outstrips supply, and in many areas there are waiting lists for both. Some people resort to purchasing the devices on the grey / black market, but often get taken for the price.

Another major factor holding iPhone adoption back is the lack of TD-LTE support on China Mobile, as Unicom has CRAP coverage, and a large percentage of people who own iPhone's here are forced to use it at EDGE speeds on CM's network. As I'm touring remote areas, I too went with China Mobile, and can attest to the horrid speeds on my 5S; it essentially nullifies all performance benefits of the A7 when on the web.

Based on my talks with sales associates in the mainland cities, if there was sufficient inventory, or more genuine Apple stores, the ratio of 5S to 5C sales would be 6:4. When Apple finalizes the agreement with China Mobile to release a TD-LTE compatible 5c/s, OMG just watch the floodgates open!

What they also must do IMHO is start rapidly expanding their retail presence, and I mean NOW! People here buy the iPhone from the genuine locations far more than from carriers for the same reason as they do in the US; service. The service offered by the Apple stores destroys that provided by the carriers. If they open at least 2-3 stores in each major metropolitan area, the iPhone would take the market by storm here, as the appetite for it exists.

Articles that demonize the 5c sales make me laugh, and anyone I meet who believes it I try to explain the reality to them and stop them from believing this FUD. We all need to wait until Apple releases the next quarter numbers (and hopefully model breakdowns), before we jump to conclusions.

Also, we need to stop listening to Wall Scum anal-ysts and their uneducated FUD.

• Reply 107 of 215
    New Coke.

When Coca Cola came out with New Coke it was seen as a flop for the company. However, due to all the attention it received and the introduction of Classic Coke, overall loyalty and sales of Coca Cola products increased.

Apple's old model: take last year's model and sell it for $100 less. Did the cost to produce the 4S suddenly go down with the introduction of the 5? If anything, due to the lower volumes of 4S being produced, their per unit cost might actually have gone up.

This year, Apple took the 5 and actually did reduce the per unit cost by putting the old guts in a less expensive case when they dropped the price to the 5C's selling price. Win. If buyers felt it wasn't worth it, perhaps it pushed even more people to the (assumably) higher margin 5S. Win. I would love to see combined 5S plus 5C sales volumes (dollars) for launch versus 5 plus 4S. Compare them only for markets that were selling at 5 launch. I suspect the 5C and 5S strategy produced both higher sales and profits for Apple. New Coke.
  • Reply 108 of 215
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ducati31 View Post

"If hastily drawing such a connection seemed a bit premature,"

Coming from the same site - appleinsider that prematurely jumps and states that apple 64bit wasn't made by samsung ? And that apple abandon samsung for the a7 chip

Really ? Look at yourself in the mirror first before you slam such statement. Journalism should be fair and equal.

I read appleinsider as a laugh - it's a joke of a site.

AI never said the A7 was "not made by" Samsung. 

AI has been first to report on Apple’s advances in ARM developments, including partnerships with TSMC. Moving fab from Samsung has been in progress for years. Samsung is desperate for the business, particularly since the GS4 sold poorly and the Exynos has been a disappointment. That’s only going to get worse with Samsung competing with the A7, particularly once TSMC, which has already started building A7s, takes more of the business away. 

It will be interesting when your company is hit with the full impact of ongoing IP infringement cases. Then what happens? 

• Reply 109 of 215
    Yup. We should feel sorry for foolish people who cheap out on 3 Series BMWs instead of the 5.
  • Reply 110 of 215
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Oh, great... using jungmark, a banned member, as an example of your little cabal. Nice group.

You really got to get out more pookie and stop stalking people.

Actually, I really don't think Rogifan wants to be part of your group. He/she seems to be much too civil and logical.

Nothing I have ever said points to a wish for failure of the 5c.

I believe that Apple wasn't trying for higher margins, I think they were trying for higher share... much higher share. Otherwise, why advertise the crap out of your mid tier phone while not giving any marketing space for your top tier phone. if you aren't expecting to produce enough top tier phones for the demand, which was also evidenced by the 5, then what is Apple expecting to fill that void... the 4s? Hardly. Apple was expecting the 5c to fill that void and when it appears to be sitting on store shelves in great abundance then that tells me it aint flying out in droves. Is that what you cal exceeding expectations? Really.

This whole idea that the 5c is cheaper to make than the 5. I don't see you guys jumping all over that statement... but nobody has shown me anything from Apple to say that is the case. Nothing. actually, all I've ever heard from anyone over the last couple of years is that phones get cheaper to make the longer they are produced. If the 5 was so damn hard to make why didn't Apple change the design of the 5s slightly to make it easier to produce. ... and who the hell ever said that the 5c is easy to produce? I see nothing from Apple backing up that statement either. Why aren't you all over that statement.

I believe that Apple really wanted the 5c to suck the air out of the room and I don't think Apple achieved that goal. Apple doesn't seem to have done any better so far with the 5c than they would have done by just altering the 5. I can't see any company putting that much effort into a phone and not expect it to do much better than any other mid tier phone has in the past. An excess of stock from day one; the ability of big box stores to give discounts, which to me says they have a lot of stock; a statistical dead heat in the US with the 5s as the 4s/5 last year; and even the inability of the 5c to knock a 4 month old phone off the 2nd place tier on 2 of the big 4 phone networks tells me that the 5c may have still met Apple's expectations but it sure as hell didn't exceed their expectations. Exceeding their expectations? If Cook and company have any brains, and I think they have more in 2 people than most companies have in their whole organization, then exceeding expectations would mean blowing the doors off of the mid tier 4s from last year... and it sure doesn't appear to have done that.

All I got was more of the same. "Blah blah blah- you can't show me it was a success." In the meantime, you declare it is below expectations but don't have any evidence to support it. Any research that is given to the contrary, you try to tear apart- all the while not having one shred to show for your "point". Whatever that is.

I'd say you're getting tiresome, but it's kind of humerous to see you write 5 paragraphs and really say nothing aside from "I believe" and "I think" and that somehow you believe your opinions make you more credible than research, surveys and reports. And before you retort with "what's wrong with those studies are..."- please show us something more than "I believe".

I like TS's response to the 5c. And he's a "professional". Not an amateur like me...
    Apple’s cracking open champagne right now. The 5C did what it was supposed to do
  • Reply 111 of 215
    Cherry picked benchmarks. Heavy spin. Pretending a plasticized year old phone is still a flagship. Being an Apple Apologist must be tiring. There's a lot to apologize for lately.
  • Reply 112 of 215
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    This article was a lot of hot air. Why did the author feel the need to compare the 5C to the surface? Completely different devices.

andysol wrote: »
    What we can't argue with is if the 5c has been a commercial success. All numbers and signs point to yes!

There's no information to prove the 5C is a commercial success. I wouldn't necessarily call it a failure but the cut in orders for the device speaks volumes about its "success". Sales of 5C are obviously below Apple's expectations.
    SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED NOT TO SELL AS MANY PHONES AS THE OTHER PHONE

We don't know if that's true.

Honestly it looks like the opposite to me. Since Apple produced a ton of 5Cs and has advertised the device exclusively, it looks to me they intented for the device to sell at a high rate.

We don't know which phone they anticipated to sell more of but from the looks of Apple's actions I can guess they thought the 5C would take off and become the "every man's" iPhone.

At this point that's not happening.

I agree that the 5Cs current sales performance is probably disappointing to Apple.

It seems like a decent device but it will forever be seen as overpriced. Apple probably won't make a move with the price, but I think that's the number 1 detractor for the device.
  • Reply 113 of 215
    If Apple made an error, it was I think to let journalists say that they will launch a "low cost" iPhone.

Therefore the 5c is perceived as a "cheap" iPhone, with a discrepancy between this perception and the effective price. It may lead people think that iPhone 5C is expensive for what it is supposed to be.

Tim Cook clearly said that it was not at all the policy of Apple to launch "cheap" products, but he stated that only after much speculation and after the launch of iPhone 5c: the damage was done in the perception of the public that the iPhone 5c was somewhat a low range product.

Now, all the people do not know necessarily about the speculations regarding the iPhone 5c and ads can give a different image of the product than a cheaper iPhone: at the moment I am not sure it has the image of a "cool" product, which is too bad.
  • Reply 114 of 215
    Well that's quite a large read,Thank you for posting and I'll just go ahead and state why I haven't upgraded my aged 3GS to what I thought would be the iPhone 'mini' and turned out to be this:

-The colours didn't appeal to me, I am 26, perhaps to a younger audience.
    -Plastic, I find it "inferior" and cheap looking/feeling, much like my 3GS feels compared to the 4 and higher models.
    -Would have felt cheated if I bought it as it's a rehash of an existing phone with not much new to offer.
    -Cost is too much for the presented product.
  • Reply 115 of 215
    If Apple made an error, it was I think to let journalists say that they will launch a "low cost" iPhone.

"Journalists"??? Uh-huh.
    Apple cannot talk about unannounced products or future product plans. I don't know why you're faulting Apple.

How about demanding these so-called "journalists" stick to reporting facts and leaving the breathless speculation out of it? Think they could restrain themselves from mixing speculation with unsubstantiated leaks?

No, I guess it's easier to blame Apple.
  • Reply 116 of 215
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Why didn't Apple use the A7 in the iPhone 5c? How much more expensive would it have been?
  • Reply 117 of 215
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Why didn't Apple use the A7 in the iPhone 5c? How much more expensive would it have been?

And this is why you don't run a multi-national, multi-billion dollar company.

Use that brain and think for a second... Apple (nor any company), wants to cannibalize a flagship product for the sake of another, less valuable product. If they'd included the A7 in the 5c, there'd have been less incentive for people to purchase the 5S, and would've also increased production costs of the 5c, thereby reducing profit margins and giving their shareholders less return on investment. Also, re-designing the 5c to work with the A7 would've increased R&D costs, further cutting into their margins, which is not what any business wants.

It amazes me how some people just don't think before they speak sometimes... Looks like common sense really is damned these days.

• Reply 118 of 215
    Everyone wants Apple to fail badly. The big investors on Wall Street hate Tim Cook and Apple. Most would do anything to destroy Apple. As it's come to pass, Google is now a $1000 a share company and Apple is barely worth $500 a share. Amazon is sitting at $330 with a new target price of $385 which it should easily make before the end of the year. Although there are a few Apple lovers who have dreams of seeing their stock soar based on iPhone sales or whatever, Apple will continue to be one of the worst tech investments for all of 2013. Apple is getting left in the dust when it comes to shareholder value.

The big investors are pretty sure Apple is becoming a failing company that can't sell enough hardware because of Google's Android platform hindering all of Apple's growth potential. I doubt the news media can take all the blame for Apple's lousy share value. Tim Cook doesn't instill confidence in investors and so the heavy-weight investors will continue to stay away from Apple for the near future. Real or imagined poor 5c sales are just the tip of the iceberg. Be ready for another bad earnings showing from Apple as Apple misses expectations yet again. Apple's share price will end up deeper in the toilet. Google and Amazon are making Apple shareholders look positively stupid for picking a lemon of an investment. Tim Cook appears to be clueless when it comes to attracting investors.
  • Reply 119 of 215
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Or the iPod minis. I'd take the 5C colors over the iPod mini colors any day. Of course if Apple released iPods with the mini colors today people would say Steve wouldn't have approved. image

ipodmini_fam_f.10812.jpg

The only thing that seems wrong in that is the UI.

ughh

• Reply 120 of 215
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Tim Cook appears to be clueless when it comes to attracting investors.

I think he has the philosophy that you take care of the products and the rest will take care of itself. Anyway, you try to attract investors when you need more capital, and Apple has capital coming out their ears.