USA Today prints contemptuous trashing of Apple's latest iOS 7 release

Comments

• Reply 141 of 197
    rsalrsal Posts: 1member
    I've been a loyal apple supporter for a long time and have imacs, macbook pro, 4 iphones, 2 apple tv's and 2 ipod touches and an ipad in my household, but at least I can look objectively. Just making a phone call on the iPhone is more difficult. My 77 y.o. mother who has an iPhone 5 is now having trouble with the keyboard to make calls. While pushing the keys to make a call, the delete key is now so small and hard to see. If she makes a mistake, she gets frustrated. When I'm listening to an audiobook, (surprisingly the Steve Jobs book), the book doesn't always pickup where it left off but instead keeps going to a previous spot. While using safari, as I'm going up and down the page, the settings keep showing up and I've got to slide them out of my way to see my page. On the stocks icon, you used to get a stock ticker going across, now you don't get that anymore. I still have not found anything I'm doing better or more efficiently than I used to since I switched to ios7 which really is the bottom line. After finishing Steve Jobs book, I'm seriously concerned about the lack of upcoming innovations from apple at this time. All I see is minor iterations such as iOS 7 or the iphone 5s or 5c which is turning out to be a joke. The only reality distortion they have at this time is thinking that they're really innovating at this time.
  • Reply 142 of 197
    Hate to break it to you but Google doesn't update any Android phone outside of the Nexus line. It's up to every other OEM to update their phones to the newest version, so your argument about why android phones aren't on the newest version is wrong.
  • Reply 143 of 197
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    sky king wrote: »
    Nice idea but it isn't going to happen.  Mr Ive has been waiting for years to get this look and now that Steve Jobs is gone (this time forever) his political pull within the company has given him foll control over the iOS look.  One can only hope he cannot gain control over Maveric (sp?).  This is a really interesting example of how just one man with a vision can change an entire company.  Steve changed Apple for the better.  Mr Ive for the worse.  The single solution is to remove him.

When the football team has a couple of losing seasons you do not replace the players, you replace the coach. 

So how do you define losing for Apple? 9 MM iPhone 5S/5C in the first weekend does not make a loser. I also forgot Jobs designed and engineered everything and the Jony et al were just empty puppets.
    brlawyer wrote: »

Cook is definitely the worst CEO since Spindler, a fact which is masked by him surfing on the prosperous wave left by SJ's vision - once the latter is exhausted you'll all see how incompetent he is for the CEO job.

Keep trolling. No facts to back up this inept opinion.
  • Reply 144 of 197
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Redsoxgurl View Post

Hate to break it to you but Google doesn't update any Android phone outside of the Nexus line. It's up to every other OEM to update their phones to the newest version, so your argument about why android phones aren't on the newest version is wrong.

Yes - Google is powerless to solve the issue because it delegated all control to carriers. Didn’t work out well at all. 

• Reply 145 of 197
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    brlawyer wrote: »
    Absolutely right. As I said before in this forum, Apple USED to be a company driven by design and innovation, which then led to supply-chain optimization and higher revenues. Now that SJ is gone and we have Cook, the world's FORMER best COO, everything is about listening to the likes of Icahn, granting them "dinners", worrying about "market share" and emerging markets (without even producing something for them) and releasing stuff that shouldn't have seen the light of the day in the first place (OS X Server, Podcasts app, Airport Utility 6, iTunes 11 and, yes, iOS 7).

Cook is definitely the worst CEO since Spindler, a fact which is masked by him surfing on the prosperous wave left by SJ's vision - once the latter is exhausted you'll all see how incompetent he is for the CEO job.
    Hi Bylawyer. You may be right about Cook. Remember many people thought that Scott Forestal would eventually become CEO after Jobs. I'm wondering if the whole maps failure was a setup to take him down. Put him in a position development wise where they really don't have time to finish the product. If the product is delayed blame. SF. If its released too early and buggy blame SF. If he takes the responsibility for the problems, they can use it against him so he doesn't get promoted to CEO. If he doesn't fall on his sword force him out like they did. His silence is probably bought through stock vesting agreements.

It's a year later and the iPhone has even more problems (BSOD, accelerometer, battery draining, IOS use ability for many people and incompleteness,, and a 5c misfire). Who's going to take responsibility for these issues? Both Cook and Ive might not have survived with Forestall in charge.
  • Reply 146 of 197
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    k2kw wrote: »
    Hi Bylawyer. You may be right about Cook. Remember many people thought that Scott Forestal would eventually become CEO after Jobs. I'm wondering if the whole maps failure was a setup to take him down. Put him in a position development wise where they really don't have time to finish the product. If the product is delayed blame. SF. If its released too early and buggy blame SF. If he takes the responsibility for the problems, they can use it against him so he doesn't get promoted to CEO. If he doesn't fall on his sword force him out like they did. His silence is probably bought through stock vesting agreements.

It's a year later and the iPhone has even more problems (BSOD, accelerometer, battery draining, IOS use ability for many people and incompleteness,, and a 5c misfire). Who's going to take responsibility for these issues? Both Cook and Ive might not have survived with Forestall in charge.

Jobs picked Cook. End of story. Forstall wasn't going to be CEO.
  • Reply 147 of 197
    aegean wrote: »
    Why the heck they don't allow users to go back to older OS of their if they want to, just like on Mac. iOS7 might be running perfectly fine on 4S/5 and above but it is not meant to drive iPhone 4.

It may be possible for you to do that. If you kept a backup/restore copy of your iPhone in iTunes, you can restore to that copy if you want, as far as I know.
  • Reply 148 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

Absolutely right. As I said before in this forum, Apple USED to be a company driven by design and innovation, which then led to supply-chain optimization and higher revenues. Now that SJ is gone and we have Cook, the world's FORMER best COO, everything is about listening to the likes of Icahn, granting them "dinners", worrying about "market share" and emerging markets (without even producing something for them) and releasing stuff that shouldn't have seen the light of the day in the first place (OS X Server, Podcasts app, Airport Utility 6, iTunes 11 and, yes, iOS 7).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by K2kW View Post

RIght. And there were noooooo problems under Steve Jobs. None whatsoever. Amazing what a selective memory selects. You guys must be stars at your professions with that kind of analytical prowess.

Of course, if you knew anything, anything at all about software development (or technology development), you'd know this:

- IOS7 wasn't developed just in the year after Forstall left.

- IOS7 is not merely just a facelift which, btw, is extremely popular amongst young people. Only old farts don't appreciate it. Such old farts, to be quite blunt, have diminishing say about what the future is about.

And if your memory wasn't so short-termed, you'd remember that

- There have been problems with almost every generation of iPhone.

- Jobs had to reduce the price of the first iPhone.

- Every year sees a new manufacturing record for Apple in terms of units amid a manufacturing landscape where capacity problems are compounded by Samsung also manufacturing nearly as many. The challenge is simply far greater than a few years ago. Yet Apple keeps churning out a new version of the iPhone every year. Even the tock version of this so-called tick-tock cycle has new features that requires adjustment to the assembly line.

You guys really aren't qualified to whine. Please stop.

• Reply 149 of 197
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,178member
    It may be possible for you to do that. If you kept a backup/restore copy of your iPhone in iTunes, you can restore to that copy if you want, as far as I know.
    Unfortunately for the OP that isn't possible. The backup may be there but Apple is no longer signing 6.x so his phone won't be activated.
  • Reply 150 of 197
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member

I felt there was something glitchy when I put iOS7 on my iPh5 too, so I did a complete restore through iTunes. It's been much better.

I believe the graphics haven't been optimised or something. I hope it works out!

• Reply 151 of 197
    wozwozwozwoz Posts: 263member
    I don't like iOS 7 on my iPad mini - it makes me feel sick and wheezy, as others have commented too. I prefer iOS 6 ... I wish I could go back. If anyone has a way of doing a fresh install or whatever to put iOS 6 back, please let me know if that is possible.
  • Reply 152 of 197
    Originally Posted by wozwoz View Post

it makes me feel… …wheezy

Just take deep breaths when using it.

• Reply 153 of 197
    wozwozwozwoz Posts: 263member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kleo View Post

"I thought about buying (an iPad) but haven't done it," says Kim Stoebick, visiting from Albuquerque. The TV commercials are "a big factor for why I'm not going to buy it. I'm looking at the other one, because they have the USB port."

A proper USB port on the iPad would be wonderful ... In my case, I would like connect it to wired ethernet - rather than wireless - because I hate needlessly radiating my brain and body with wireless crap, when I have a faster wired ethernet connection right next to me.  [And no, I don't use a mobile phone either - and certainly not next to my head.]

• Reply 154 of 197
    Originally Posted by wozwoz View Post

A proper USB port on the iPad would be wonderful ... In my case, I would like connect it to wired ethernet - rather than wireless - because I hate needlessly radiating my brain and body with wireless crap, when I have a faster wired ethernet connection right next to me.  [And no, I don't use a mobile phone either - and certainly not next to my head.]

Please be joking.

• Reply 155 of 197
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    mmac wrote: »
    I dunno, maybe I care about ethics and right or wrong. Old fashioned me......

I understand this sentimental completely. People with ethic has a somewhat hard time in this day and age where anything can be said and heard
  • Reply 156 of 197
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    rsal wrote: »
    I'm seriously concerned about the lack of upcoming innovations from apple at this time. All I see is minor iterations such as iOS 7 or the iphone 5s or 5c which is turning out to be a joke. The only reality distortion they have at this time is thinking that they're really innovating at this time.

LOL. The innovation card again? If you can not see what innovation iphone 5s brings (fingerprint scanning to the mass for example) then sorry, you have lost it. Maybe someone like you is more suitable to faux innovation like Google Glass.
  • Reply 157 of 197
    Originally Posted by rsal View Post

kool aid

You've already reported this item. Thanks for helping to make our community better.

I’ve been a loyal apple supporter for a long time and have iMacs, macbook pro, 4 iPhones, 2 apple tv's and 2 ipod touches and an ipad in my household, but...

You've already reported this item. Thanks for helping to make our community better.

…I’m seriously concerned…

…lack of upcoming innovations…

All I see is minor iterations such as iOS 7 or the iphone 5s or 5c which is turning out to be a joke. The only reality distortion they have at this time is thinking that they're really innovating at this time. 

• Reply 158 of 197
    old-wizold-wiz Posts: 194member
    Consulting firms say what they are paid to say. They have about the same ethics as politicians. They do expensive research when they know the result that they are supposed to get and then cook the numbers or rig the research so that they get the result they are paid to get.

Consulting firms are about honest as politicians and car salesmen. I have no idea why people believe anything consulting firms tell them.

I have IOS 7 on an iPhone 4S and battery life is better than IOS 6 and I've had zero crashes. The only thing I had a problem with was changing the wallpaper - it was slow, but how often do I do that?
  • Reply 159 of 197
    old-wizold-wiz Posts: 194member

Who even believes most newspapers in the first place?  They all have a bias towards whoever owns the paper.  A paper owned by the Koch brothers is not going to report anything about the Koch brothers in a negative light.

• Reply 160 of 197
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Just take deep breaths when using it.

I've been through this several times: it is not that simple and it is certainly not a laughing matter.