Apple begins airing TV spot for gold iPhone 5s

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple has recut the "liquid gold" video it debuted at the launch of iPhone 5s and paired it with a golden dance track to deliver the first television ad for the new high end model.

Similar to the flow of the "plastic perfected" TV ad Apple launched last month for iPhone 5c, the new 5s spot depicts a phone materializing out of a liquid material.

For the iPhone 5s, that material is gold, portrayed from the start in a melting form that takes the shape of the device. The spot pauses to admire the camera and dual element True Tone flash (above) before being outfitted with a gold ring highlighting its Touch ID feature, which is immediately used by a finger to login to the newly formed device.

The spot, first noted by The Verge as appearing in U.S. football broadcasts on Fox, and cobranded by carrier Verizon, is a slightly shorter version of the original video Apple showed at its release.

The TV spot is also paired with music from English glam rock band Goldfrapp: "Ohh La La," a disco inspired track that topped the charts in 2005, with punching bass guitar over a sultry synth, reinforcing the flow of the liquid gold. It also cleverly ties in the lyrics "dial up my number" and coordinates "I want to touch you, you're just made for love" with Touch ID, panning out to show the device running iOS 7.

Apple's original spot lacked a similar soundtrack, instead presenting a creepier, orchestral accompaniment to the cracking sounds of molten metal. The video also presented the internals of the Home button and its Touch ID sensor in greater detail, and flipped the phone around to present it alongside the Silver and Space Grey versions.

Liquids and Goldfrapp have been used in ads before

Apple's new "liquid" ads are reminiscent of an LG ad for its "Chocolate" phone, which presented the device erupting out of liquid chocolate. LG's 2006-era U.S. Chocolate phone was intentionally styled after Apple's iPod and played up its ability to play music.

That ad, coincidentally, featured a different track "Strict Machine" from the same artist, Goldfrapp. Motorola later copied LG's flip version of the Chocolate to launch the Moto CRZR, and also used Goldfrapp's "Ohh La La" to promote its ability to play music, although it failed to highlight the lyrics of the song, instead just presenting its catchy beat and chorus.

Both companies were hit hard by the launch of the iPhone, which not only played music like an iPod, but also surfed the web and accessed email like a Macintosh.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 59
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

Why do I get the feeling that the outrage shown in the article and comments linked below won't carry over to this situation?

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/159978/samsung-ad-gets-applause-for-copying-apple-s-iphone-spot-from-2007

• Reply 2 of 59
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    droidftw wrote: »
    Why do I get the feeling that the outrage shown in the article and comments linked below won't carry over to this situation?

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/159978/samsung-ad-gets-applause-for-copying-apple-s-iphone-spot-from-2007
    The things people get outraged over these days are just ridiculous. I'm so sick of people screaming "copy!" every time someone does something. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 3 of 59
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Because Apple didn’t rip off anything of value. It isn’t a scene for scene remake of something LG advertised and successfully sells. It’s not some distillation of LG’s unique brand or style. It’s common use of a popular artist and the concept of liquid, but done in a very different way. 

LG’s ripoff iPod phone was depicted as cleanly emerging from liquid chocolate, because it is brown. 

Apple’s ads show two models being built out of a liquid material, each showing off the character of that material: fun shiny plastic or serious liquid metal. Nobody sees the ad and thinks "oh yeah, that’s just like an LG phone from 2006!"

But you knew all that didn’t you?  

• Reply 4 of 59
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    I like the Goldfrapp song in the LG ad more, as well as the dipped in the liquid effect of that ad. The ending of the LG ad with the announcer that probably other does adverts for action movies ends up making it really cheap.

rogifan wrote: »
    The things people get outraged over these days are just ridiculous. I'm so sick of people screaming "copy!" every time someone does something. :rolleyes:

I've totally heard people say that same thing. Stop copying them! :p
  • Reply 5 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

The things people get outraged over these days are just ridiculous. I'm so sick of people screaming "copy!" every time someone does something. 1rolleyes.gif 

:P 

• Reply 6 of 59
    The things people get outraged over these days are just ridiculous. I'm so sick of people screaming "copy!" every time someone does something. :rolleyes:  

• Reply 7 of 59
    I looked multiple times. With as honestly an open mind as possible (recognizing that it is not entirely possible).

The is simply no creative connection to the LG ad. Sorry. This article is out to lunch.
  • Reply 8 of 59
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I looked multiple times. With as honestly an open mind as possible (recognizing that it is not entirely possible).

The is simply no creative connection to the LG ad. Sorry. This article is out to lunch.

I agree with you.

But I note also that this article doesn't really accuse Apple of plagiarism (I know you're referring to creation connection). I think it's merely pointing a couple of similarities.

• Reply 9 of 59
    Copy?

"Ooh la la's" bass run sounds very reminiscent of Norman Greenbaum's "Spirit in the Sky" from more than 30 years ago.
  • Reply 10 of 59
    Originally Posted by Gregg Thurman View Post

"Ooh la la's" bass run sounds very reminiscent of Norman Greenbaum's "Spirit in the Sky" from more than 30 years ago.

I felt the same thing.

• Reply 11 of 59
    Don't understand why apple is advertising their (supposedly) best selling phone. Surely they should be trying to create more interest in the 5c?
  • Reply 12 of 59
    Quote:

Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

Don't understand why apple is advertising their (supposedly) best selling phone. Surely they should be trying to create more interest in the 5c?

Maybe we should consider the possibility they know more about marketing than we do?

• Reply 13 of 59
    Quote:

Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

They haven't stopped advertising the 5C. They were advertising the 5C far before the 5S. Could be the fact that they're starting to get a better stock of the 5S so they can now start pushing it. 

• Reply 14 of 59
    Wait, I'm confused. So companies aren't supposed to run TV ads on popular things? Really? :\
  • Reply 15 of 59

So basically its click bait so all the Fandroids and haters can show up and accuse Apple of copying and Apple fans of being hypocritical for not pointing it out. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 16 of 59
    Wait, I'm confused. So companies aren't supposed to run TV ads on popular things? Really? :\

It's quite simple. If the company is Apple and you're an Apple hater you then disparage the concept of advertising as proof that their products must suck.
  • Reply 17 of 59
    sog35 wrote: »
    dumb comment. Does BMW advertise the 3 series? Does Samdung advertise the G4?
    Even dumber reply. You can walk into any BMW dealer and drive out in a new BMW, you can walk into any mobile store and walk out with an S4. Not so with gold 5s.

Likely this is a strategic move as Apple are shifting production volume to the s models away from the c models.
  • Reply 18 of 59
    If demand far exceeds supply, why waste the money. Wait until demand has fallen off and then push the ads.
  • Reply 19 of 59
    Maybe we should consider the possibility they know more about marketing than we do?
    Maybe, but maybe is exactly the right word. Apple marketing have certainly come out with some doozies. It doesn't take a "genius" to realize that. :-D
  • Reply 20 of 59
    akqies wrote: »
    It's quite simple. If the company is Apple and you're an Apple hater you then disparage the concept of advertising as proof that their products must suck.
    I guess the Note 3 must be a real turd then because I'm seeing ads for it on TV like crazy.