Impending iPad refresh viewed as Apple's most important since the first iPad

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple this week is widely expected to introduce a redesigned fifth-generation iPad that will be thinner and lighter --?and, in the eyes of one Wall Street analyst, the most important update to the full-size iPad since the first model was released in 2010.

Mockup
Fifth-generation iPad mockup by Martin Hajek.

Brian White of Cantor Fitzgerald said in a note to investors on Monday that he believes Apple's anticipated update to the 9.7-inch iPad could be the highlight of its Tuesday event. In his recent trips to Taiwan and China, he's been told the new iPad will be about 15 percent thinner and as much as 30 percent lighter than the current fourth-generation iPad.

The width of the new iPad is also expected to be reduced by as much as 10 percent, as leaked parts have suggested Apple will reduce the bezels on the side of the display when using the iPad in portrait mode. The changes will make the design of the full-size iPad akin to the iPad mini.

This iPad launch will be particularly important for Apple, according to White, because the company's tablet sales were down 27 percent year over year in the third quarter of fiscal 2013. That marks the first time in the history of the iPad that Apple saw a year over year decline.

He expects that iPad sales were also off about 21 percent during the just-concluded September quarter. But he has projected that the iPad will return to positive territory in the current holiday quarter, driven by the launch of a new fifth-generation iPad and second-generation iPad mini.

iPad

"Apple has a massive installed base of iPads, and we believe this will drive the biggest upgrade ever for the iPad franchise," White said. "In our view, this October launch will prove beneficial for Apple this holiday season."

As for the iPad mini, White expects a "modest" upgrade for the second-generation model. While recent rumors have suggested the device will pack a high-resolution Retina display, he's not entirely convinced, revealing that sources on his recent trip to Asia were "less conclusive" on the new iPad mini.

"For example, some of our contacts believe that Apple will unveil a new iPad mini this week but may wait to launch an iPad mini with Retina display until (the first quarter of calendar 2014)," White wrote. "If Apple unveils an iPad mini with Retina display this week, we would view this as an incremental surprise."

Apple is scheduled to hold a media event on Tuesday at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco, Calif. AppleInsider will be there for full, live coverage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 69
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I'm sorry but this makes zero sense to me. Why would Apple update the mini if they're planning a retina one in Q1 2014? And why would they wait until Q1 to release it, completely missing the holiday season? I guess I trust the WSJ more than Brian White and his Asia trip. I'd love to know who his "sources" are.
  • Reply 2 of 69
    But can you really call the iPad important?
  • Reply 3 of 69

And still I don't care.

• Reply 4 of 69
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    Another possibility is that Apple will make a Surface-like BLE keyboard available for it, perhaps another couple of accessories too, according to rumors from a recent Apple employee at another site.
  • Reply 5 of 69
    Most important ? I guess it would turn out to be the most disappointed apple event as there is no surprise , nothing innovative , aapl will dive ironically the same as google - 13 % .
  • Reply 6 of 69
    vl-tonevl-tone Posts: 337member
    Most important ? I guess it would turn out to be the most disappointed apple event as there is no surprise , nothing innovative , aapl will dive ironically the same as google - 13 % .

How do you know there won't be any surprises?
  • Reply 7 of 69
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Haha even if there are no surprises the stock isn't going to dive 13%. The only thing that could make it happen is if they're quarterly earnings are horrible.
  • Reply 8 of 69
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottWilson View Post

I can definitely call it more important than your irrelevant perception of it not being important.

• Reply 9 of 69
    Quote:

Originally Posted by massconn72 View Post

And still I don't care.

Then don't buy it, and don't pollute the comment area with junk comments.

• Reply 10 of 69

Being in Asia, specifically China, right now, I can tell you people around here BS like no tomorrow just to get attention, or to make you believe what they want you to believe.

Any time I hear a Wall Scum anal-yst use the words "Asia" and "sources" in the same sentence, I immediately discount everything he says, knowing he's likely 99% full of crap.

And if he doesn't mention the word Asia, then I know he's just 98% full of crap.

• Reply 11 of 69

What are the chances that 32GB becomes the new minimum?

I know that most people are streaming most things so local storage is less important, but it would be nice to carry around one's photo library as well and not need to rely on a network connection.

• Reply 12 of 69

Most important update since the first iPad? Give me a break.

Retina mini? Sure. Very important.

Larger form factor? Sure. Something totally new is always important.

Going on the evidence this analyst is using? Oh boy.

• Reply 13 of 69
    Brian White: Desperately Seeking Attention
  • Reply 14 of 69
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Haha even if there are no surprises the stock isn't going to dive 13%. The only thing that could make it happen is if they're quarterly earnings are horrible.

Which, because they had to give the SEC notice that they were revising their guidance up? We know it is not going to be.

• Reply 15 of 69
    What a joke. iPad 1 was unusably slow. iPad 2 has been the most important update since iPad 1 - all iPads after 2 and 2 included have been usable.
  • Reply 16 of 69
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    This guy has a horrible track record, so who cares

iPad mini with retina, get in my hands!
  • Reply 17 of 69

This may be the year that between the iPad, iPad mini and iPod touch? We see a ton of choices, especially in the lower price points, from $199-$799 (excluding LTE iPads), and will give people wanting Apple products a choice in a variety of price points.

Here, let me play analyst for a minute...

The question becomes, what do the do with the current iPad mini. Assume the keep it. Do the drop it $50? $100? Dropping it $100 makes it the same price as the 16 GB iPod touch (Retina but no rear camera). Which is why the top chart is what I think will happen, but the bottom wouldn't surprise, either.

And I threw in the obligatory "we need a 128 GB iPod touch to finally kill the classic" in there, too.

• Reply 18 of 69

Most important by what means??

It says WSJ.

nothing to see here folks.

• Reply 19 of 69
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Impending iPad refresh viewed as Apple's most important since the first iPad

By whom? Why? And no. In that order.

• Reply 20 of 69
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Oh great. The CNet troll deciding to infest other sites.

Mods... Ban this guy. He has a great ability to turn any thread into a wasteland.