iPad 2 remains Apple's most popular tablet, iPhone 5c demand growing

Comments

• Reply 41 of 78
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

This was my take from the first report of "overproduction" of the 5c:  Apple knew it was "supply constrained" on the 5s and wanted to be sure it had enough units of "new iPhones" to be able to meet any reasonable demand, knowing that any degree of early overrun had at least a year to be long-ago absorbed by next October...

I concur, and now that the initial push is over and 5c supply remaining healthy, Apple moved some production lines over to the 5s. 

• Reply 42 of 78
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

I know several people who were interested in the 5s but went with the 5c due to their inability to walk out of their network's store with one when they needed a phone.

I also am amused by all this bad stuff written about the 5c sales.  Here in NYC and Brooklyn I see a lot of them in the wild.  

Just shows ignorance on their part as you can't have bad, or good sales of an out of stock product. You can have good or bad outstanding orders, but no one has those details. 

• Reply 43 of 78
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    Ok, let me start from the top. I think Apple should keep a non-retina iPad for both models. I don't care if it is last years, this years, or next years. They have do this with the MBP and rMBP.

They might, if it's financially advantageous but I am leaning toward the iPad 2 and non-Retina MBPs going away this year. That isn't a preference on my part just an assumption, so I hope you're right.
  • Reply 44 of 78
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

I think the bigger issue is Apple's inability to ship the 5s. I have one ordered from AT&T but it won't show as *sold* until it ships as AT&T won't bill me until such time. 

I wonder how many outstanding orders are out there for the 5s? 

I would agree that supply is an issue for 5s...but probably not as big as the doomsayers say.  I think it's a demand "issue".  :-)

I just can't see how suppliers could have ramped up the initial supply during launch and then suddenly come to a dramatic slowdown.  Then again, I'm not privy to supply chain status.  But with shipping status at 2-3 weeks...it can't be all that bad (as opposed to 4-6 weeks?).

• Reply 45 of 78
    Quote:

Originally Posted by akqies View Post

They might, if it's financially advantageous but I am leaning toward the iPad 2 and non-Retina MBPs going away this year. That isn't a preference on my part just an assumption, so I hope you're right.

Here is my logic. 

iPhone 5c or iPhone 5s

MBP or rMBP

Apple is clearly wanting the high end market, and then giving a nod to those on the fence due to price. I think this can be used even more so in the tablet space as most tables are priced close within the same class. If $100 off puts the non-retina version right in the midsts of the competition, they might move some off the fence into the Apple camp, where retention is quite good. 

For me, the iPad retina is great for my photography, but the non-retina mini is looking good for a reader. 

But we'll all see tomorrow :) 

• Reply 46 of 78
    Quote:

Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post

I would agree that supply is an issue for 5s...but probably not as big as the doomsayers say.  I think it's a demand "issue".  :-)

I just can't see how suppliers could have ramped up the initial supply during launch and then suddenly come to a dramatic slowdown.  Then again, I'm not privy to supply chain status.  But with shipping status at 2-3 weeks...it can't be all that bad (as opposed to 4-6 weeks?).

I've been waiting since Sept 23rd for my Gold 5s so I'll say it is a big issue. I also think Apple knew this going in due to the Touch ID, but also marketing. Nothing gets people there early than 'limited supply'. 

I don't think (nor do I actually know) that the 5c is having sales issues, but as one posted, stock was ramped up enough to support the iPhone launch demand as some opted for the 5c due to not being able to get the 5s. Talking to one person, they were not in need of the 5s specs, so they opted for the 5c as it was in stock anyway. 

What is really hurting the optics on this one is that there are no 5s available so no one can look at numbers. Backorders for the 5s could be huge, and they could not be, we don't know. However, if I ordered on Sept 23 and almost a month later I still don't have my phone and production has been churning out phones this entire time, I'd say 5s demand is very high, and remains high. You will probably have another surge (although much smaller) when the 5s is available and people who were just waiting jumps in. 

• Reply 47 of 78
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Localytics statistics apparently had no value before so I'm thinking they must hold no value now.
    Only when they don't line up with your "5c is a failure for Apple" comments.

How many more stats have to come out before you finally admit you were wrong?
  • Reply 48 of 78
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    Here is my logic. 

iPhone 5c or iPhone 5s
    MBP or rMBP

Apple is clearly wanting the high end market, and then giving a nod to those on the fence due to price. I think this can be used even more so in the tablet space as most tables are priced close within the same class. If $100 off puts the non-retina version right in the midsts of the competition, they might move some off the fence into the Apple camp, where retention is quite good. 

For me, the iPad retina is great for my photography, but the non-retina mini is looking good for a reader. 

But we'll all see tomorrow :) 

I personally don't see that as the best avenue for Apple. Note the iPhone 5C is still Retina and is essentially the iPhone 5 with some slightly better components in a couple areas and an arguably worse case (but it does feel great for plastic).

They've never kept an older gen MBP before the way they keep the iPhone and iPad. There history is to have the MacBook and now the MacBook Air being the starting price for Mac notebooks. That's not to say they won't keep the thicker, non-Retina MBPs since it was already unusual they kept it at all, but I think the main reason for that they kept it was due to the optical drive. Since no other Mac will have it after the Mac Pro is updated I'm guessing it's also on its way out.
  • Reply 49 of 78
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    Wonder if the iPad 5 will be enought to get people to upgrade. Less bezel, lighter with 64bit CPU might be the sweet spot. Also the iPad mini with retina, being cheaper might also work
  • Reply 50 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akqies View Post

I personally don't see that as the best avenue for Apple. Note the iPhone 5C is still Retina and is essentially the iPhone 5 with some slightly better components in a couple areas and an arguably worse case (but it does feel great for plastic).

They've never kept an older gen MBP before the way they keep the iPhone and iPad. There history is to have the MacBook and now the MacBook Air being the starting price for Mac notebooks. That's not to say they won't keep the thicker, non-Retina MBPs since it was already unusual they kept it at all, but I think the main reason for that they kept it was due to the optical drive. Since no other Mac will have it after the Mac Pro is updated I'm guessing it's also on its way out.

Yes, the 5c is still retina as that is not where they choose to cut cost, but in the shell. Sorry, I was not trying to make it a spec vs. spec argument, but rather Apple dangles some fruit just a bit lower than their high-end line, I believe, to grab more who are price sensitive for whatever reason. 

Although there was some initial outcry over a non-optical MBP, who really uses a CD drive today? Yes, I know there are some, but is that 5% or 50%? I think more like 5%. 

But hey, don't listen to me, I'm the guy who said for months Apple would never go backwards and reintroduce plastic :D 

• Reply 51 of 78
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

I am so buying that new form factor iPad 5 if they can put the A7X in it.  I think the iPad 5 will do very well this year, especially with so many people still on the iPad 2.

On the mini side, beside adding retina, I am hoping Apple will consider the mini as a prime product and put a decent CPU in it.  imo it needs the A6X or the A7.  

The old ipad mini should drop in price to lower than $250, I think it should even sell for $200 if they don't tweak it. There are just too many small tablets that are a lot better than the current ipad mini in the $200 to $250 price range. 

• Reply 52 of 78
    I did not "Get it" about the iPad until the retina display model came out. Even when I got one, it was basically experimental. Now I do tons of stuff there.

I think the talk about iPad mini retina display being in shortage assume that there will be a huge whopping humongous demand for it, leading up to Christmas.

Dudes and dudettes, I think that is totally correct.
  • Reply 53 of 78

Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Localytics statistics apparently had no value before so I'm thinking they must hold no value now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Only when they don't line up with your "5c is a failure for Apple" comments.

How many more stats have to come out before you finally admit you were wrong?

So, you are saying that the last set of Localytics stats showed that the 5c is a failure.

Wow. That's harsh, little stalker buddy.

• Reply 54 of 78
    My house has an iPad 2 and iPad mini, We will add a new mini with retina or a new 5th generation full size. For sure 5th gen. if it has the faster processor of the 2, also 128g storage kind of important to us.
    We are so done buying PCs for home use.
  • Reply 55 of 78
    muadibemuadibe Posts: 134member
    akqies wrote: »
    Interesting. It was the iPad 3 being Retina that I thought really made it an easy upgrade from the iPad 2. It's getting the iPad 4 after having the iPad 3 that was no interest to me.

Same here. I hope the 5 will be as light as the 2 with retina and 802.11ac. I miss the weight of the ipad 2.
  • Reply 56 of 78
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I am so buying that new form factor iPad 5 if they can put the A7X in it.  I think the iPad 5 will do very well this year, especially with so many people still on the iPad 2.

On the mini side, beside adding retina, I am hoping Apple will consider the mini as a prime product and put a decent CPU in it.  imo it needs the A6X or the A7.  

The old ipad mini should drop in price to lower than $250, I think it should even sell for $200 if they don't tweak it. There are just too many small tablets that are a lot better than the current ipad mini in the $200 to $250 price range. 

Agreed: horsepower under the hood is going to be the deciding factor for me with the topline models.

• Reply 57 of 78
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by muadibe View Post

Same here. I hope the 5 will be as light as the 2 with retina and 802.11ac. I miss the weight of the ipad 2.

That may be waiting for the IGZO screen tech: the battery is the challenge in the need to power the screen...

• Reply 58 of 78
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Wow! I think of the iPad 2 as being so old and slow that it surprises me that anyone would choose it. I do know that it is the iPad of choice by companies that are giving away a tablet for promotional reasons. Still...

That the iPhone 5c is gaining on the 5s isn't surprising, there are a lot of buyers that need to wait until their old iPhone comes off contract (myself included) and they may be younger and less affluent than the 5s buyers. Two demographics that may lean toward the more colorful iPhones.

The iPad 2 has been available the longest of any existing iPad for sale, and for over a year has been priced at $399. For that price, to get 9.7 of tablet is pretty irresistible to some.

Also consider, the iPad 5 will be the first major redesign since iPad 2....(with 3 & 4 being only slightly thicker/heavier, but the same design).

Many predict iPad 5 to spur a huge round of upgrades from 2 & 3 owners. Within a year, I think we'll see a flip, and the active installed base will be 40% iPad 5, 30% iPad mini, and 15% iPad 3, 15% iPad 4.......

• Reply 59 of 78
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by muadibe View Post

I believe the 5 may be even lighter than the 2. Along with being overall less volume.

• Reply 60 of 78
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

The iPhone 5c think makes sense. Folks that would buy the 5c aren't the type to jump on getting a phone right away. They are the type to wait for the rush to die down Or put up with waiting for it to arrive from online. and so on.