iPad or iPad mini?

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

As a owner of a first generation iPad I am anxiously awaiting news on the iPad 5 and iPad mini 2.  I am curious to those that have owned both as to which one you preferred most.  

Visiting the Apple store I like the feel of the mini but I haven't ever thought my iPad 1 was to big.  Just looking for opinions as well as pros and cons for both.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    g-noteg-note Posts: 39member
    Wrong place to post?
  • Reply 2 of 16
    They're the same thing except for different size.
    What are you looking for?
  • Reply 3 of 16
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    They're the same thing except for different size.

Meaning they're totally different things.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    I disagree that they are the same thing. Both have pros and cons. I am just curious as to those that have owned both as to which one the prefer
  • Reply 5 of 16
    g-note wrote: »
    I disagree that they are the same thing. Both have pros and cons. I am just curious as to those that have owned both as to which one the prefer

As someone who has been able to use both extensively (but who only owns the iPad), the real iPad is the only iPad worth using. But apparently it depends on personal preference rather than knowing the tiny one isn't better at anything it does except weighing less. It's better at weighing less. :p
  • Reply 6 of 16
    I am also thinking that the mini 2 will not be as powerful as the iPad 5. Not that this matters at initial release but in two years down the road it could.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    g-note wrote: »
    I am also thinking that the mini 2 will not be as powerful as the iPad 5. Not that this matters at initial release but in two years down the road it could.

Oh, that's a given. The iPad mini has an A5 and the iPad has an A6X. That means the next ones will have A6 and A7X, respectively.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    abazigalabazigal Posts: 114member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, that's a given. The iPad mini has an A5 and the iPad has an A6X. That means the next ones will have A6 and A7X, respectively.

Probably A6X for the ipad mini 2. The iPad mini 2 is expected to be a retina ipad shrunk down to 7.9", which means it needs 1gb ram and A6x processor to power that retina display properly. 

I expect A7x and 2gb ram for ipad5. 

• Reply 9 of 16
    befanbefan Posts: 2member

Quote:

As someone who has been able to use both extensively (but who only owns the iPad), the real iPad is the only iPad worth using. But apparently it depends on personal preference rather than knowing the tiny one isn't better at anything it does except weighing less. It's better at weighing less. image

As someone who owns both, the iPad mini is the only iPad worth using. Weighing less is precisely what makes it much better than the bulky one for nearly everything (except, perhaps, watching videos). To each his own image

• Reply 10 of 16
    befan wrote: »
    …better than the bulky one for nearly everything (except, perhaps, watching videos).

Doing work, playing games, using apps… :p
  • Reply 11 of 16
    befanbefan Posts: 2member

I don't play games. Doing work and using apps is exactly what the mini is best for, whenever I'm on the coach, bed, or public transport. The macbook, mini and iphone are the perfect combination for me.

• Reply 12 of 16

Quote:

Not necessarily. The 32nm A5 was chosen for the iPad Mini as Apple did not have an inexpensive SoC alternative at the time of launch.

An A7 and A7X will likely use IT's PowerVR Series 6. The PowerVR Series 5 inside previous Apple SoCs do not offer key API support for new industry standards.

I believe the iPad Mini 2 will likely use a new variant such as the A7. It would be strange of Apple to fragment devices launching so close together.

The A6 SoC is rather outdated, even the S4 Pro inside of the 2013 Nexus 7 can offer higher performance than the A6, as well as offer support for the latest APIs.

Just my 2 cents.

• Reply 13 of 16

Do you think the iPad 5 will have the same new features that the 5S is supposed to have? ie the fingerprint security or anything else Apple may have up its sleeve?

I would hope the iPad Mini 2 would also have the same features that the iPad 5 will receive but I have my doubts.

• Reply 14 of 16

Giving this thread a bump.  Hoping for some more opinions now that the event is just days away

• Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:

Originally Posted by G-Note View Post

Giving this thread a bump.  Hoping for some more opinions now that the event is just days away

A Bay Trail + Windows 8.1 tablet is your best option for a tablet these days.  Leagues ahead of any iOS or Android device in terms of software and API support.  Companies such as ASUS, Dell, Lenovo, HP, Sharp, Fujistu, etc. already have devices on the market or in the works that would fit just about anyone's needs at 8inch up to 10inch.  

Bay Trail is x86-64 hardware running a complete version of Windows, this is not to be confused with Microsoft's ARM version of Windows (Windows RT 8.1), that's just useless along with any RT device (ex. Surface 2). 

• Reply 16 of 16

Take a hike!  No one cares about Windows tablets.  Go find another forum to troll in.