Websites activating Safari push notifications ahead of OS X Mavericks rollout

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Two mainstream websites on Monday appeared to activate push notifications for Safari, a new feature built into Apple's forthcoming OS X 10.9 Mavericks that allows sites to send out updates to Mac users via the Web.

Push
Source: NBA.com

First spotted by MacRumors, the NBA.com and The New York Times have apparently activated support for the feature, but have yet to send out any notifications. Other sites are expected to follow suit once Apple officially releases Mavericks to the public, which could come soon, as the company is widely expected to announce the new operating system alongside next-generation iPads at a special event in San Francisco on Tuesday.

The Safari push notification service is one of the many new additions Mavericks will bring to OS X. The system works in much the same way as app notifications, such as OS X Mail, which displays a pop-up message box when a new message is received. For the Web-based version, alerts and banners will contain a website's icon, a short text message and clickable hyperlink. Like Notification Center in iOS, users will be able to receive messages even when Safari isn't running.

Currently, OS X Mountain Lion only supports app notifications, which are accessible from the Notification Center. Mavericks will for the first time bring Web-routed notifications to Apple's desktop OS.

In early September, Apple sent out emails urging web developers to "get ready" for Safari push notifications ahead of Mavericks' public debut. The company issued the gold master, or finalized version, of Mavericks to devs in early October, suggesting a rollout is close at hand.

Apple is expected to announce a firm availability date for OS X 10.9 Mavericks at its iPad event tomorrow, with the new operating system possibly being ready for sale shortly thereafter.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Sounds like we could get a release today.
  • Reply 2 of 35

would love that!

• Reply 3 of 35
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    That option is being turned straight off. Last thing I want is my desktop being spammed with offers and reminders from websites.
  • Reply 4 of 35
    Push notification SPAM. Awesome.
    It's like going back to the late nineties with browser pop ups and pop unders.
    Great idea Apple.
  • Reply 4 of 35
    Is this limited to websites or would I receive all iOS app notifications as well?
  • Reply 6 of 35
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Hey Mac developers, Mavericks is out in less than 12 hours, how come my Mountain Lion App Store is not showing tonnes of app updates so that when I install Mavs all my apps are already ready?

• Reply 7 of 35
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    ascii wrote: »
    Hey Mac developers, Mavericks is out in less than 12 hours, how come my Mountain Lion App Store is not showing tonnes of app updates so that when I install Mavs all my apps are already ready?

Because in an OS based on true OOP-APIs the vast majority of apps shouldn't be affected by the OS upgrade and simply inherit a variety of new behaviors.
    Of course that won't apply to x-platform junk like what Adobe pushes on people, but they will take until 2020 to adopt 10.9 APIs anyway given their track record of adopting Apple's APIs....
  • Reply 8 of 35
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Is this exclusive to Maverick or it's universal? Like when you allow one website it'll send the notification even when you're on mobile Safari?

• Reply 9 of 35
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    evilution wrote: »
    That option is being turned straight off. Last thing I want is my desktop being spammed with offers and reminders from websites.

It's per website. I take it the notifications you'll get from NBA would be sport score related. I.E. Something you'll actually want. As opposed to spam like Full Fat spits out: I had to delete their game for that very reason. That game didn't deserve to stay on my iPhone.
  • Reply 10 of 35

Looks like I have some sort of dogma.

Safari just keeps getting better and better (looks like safari 7 is great), with so many great and innovative features, but Google Chrome syncs with my Android device.

Oh well, f*ck it, safari it is.

• Reply 11 of 35
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    great. more spam/ads. can't wait to have to disable notifications on every website i visit or have already bookmarked.
  • Reply 12 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mac_dog View Post

great. more spam/ads. can't wait to have to disable notifications on every website i visit or have already bookmarked.

This is OFF by default, isn't it?  It does seem that many people are over-reacting - I think this could be a really useful feature; turn it on for your favourite restaurant, newspaper, game, flight company, whatever - see if the particular website's notifications are useful - if not, turn it off for that website. Sounds good to me. Am I wrong about the way this works?

• Reply 13 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by silversquonk View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mac_dog View Post

This is OFF by default, isn't it?  It does seem that many people are over-reacting - I think this could be a really useful feature; turn it on for your favourite restaurant, newspaper, game, flight company, whatever - see if the particular website's notifications are useful - if not, turn it off. Sounds good to me. Am I wrong about the way this works?

Exactly! Finally someone who get's it...

Some of these posters have some problems moving forward.

It surprises me there's no one with "Snow Leopard it is, then.".

• Reply 14 of 35
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,178member
    This is OFF by default, isn't it?  It does seem that many people are over-reacting - I think this could be a really useful feature; turn it on for your favourite restaurant, newspaper, game, flight company, whatever - see if the particular website's notifications are useful - if not, turn it off for that website. Sounds good to me. Am I wrong about the way this works?

I've read it as on by default.

EDIT: Corrected link
  • Reply 15 of 35
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

I think the service is on by default, but you have to approve every website.  A bit like how location services is on by default on your iPhone, but each app has to request its own permission to use them.  And you can turn off location services globally if you want, just like you'll be able to turn off Safari notifications.

• Reply 16 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

I think the service is on by default, but you have to approve every website.  A bit like how location services is on by default on your iPhone, but each app has to request its own permission to use them.  And you can turn off location services globally if you want, just like you'll be able to turn off Safari notifications.

Ok, well that's sounds fine to me as well. Thanks for your help.

• Reply 17 of 35
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    evilution wrote: »

squuiid wrote: »
    Push notification SPAM. Awesome.
    It's like going back to the late nineties with browser pop ups and pop unders.
    Great idea Apple.

mac_dog wrote: »

Are you all getting so much spam from MacRumors, the NBA.com, and The New York Times in your email that you're already making irrational judgements before ever trying it? Personally, I've never once had spam from those sites. At least with this you have control of what sites can send you messages, unlike with email spam where your email address can be sold to other companies or simply guessed by a bot sending out mass spam.
  • Reply 18 of 35
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Because you don’t know that, first of all.

• Reply 19 of 35
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Because you don’t know that, first of all.

C'mon, yeah we do. Craig Federighi will demo it, and then say "Available... (dramatic pause) Today."

• Reply 20 of 35
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

C'mon, yeah we do. Craig Federighi will demo it, and then say "Available... (dramatic pause) Today."

I figure Friday.