Apple removes HMV rival music store from iOS App Store

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple has pulled British music retailer HMV's app from the iOS App Store because of functionality that allowed users to buy songs for download.

BBM for iOS
The HMV app removed from the App Store | Source: The Guardian

The app, whose removal was first reported by The Guardian, was released last week. Paul McGowan, HMV's chairman, said that Apple "politely" asked the retailer to remove the app on Monday and that HMV "politely declined" the request.

McGowan says Apple then demanded HMV alter the app to remove the digital music store within a matter of hours, then pulled the app from the App Store after HMV was unable to make the deadline. McGowan called the deadline "unrealistic" and said it was "disapointing that Apple has chosen to suspend an app that has proven to be very successful in only a few short days."

HMV said in a statement that the app had been downloaded more than 10,000 times since it hit the iOS and Google Play stores on Oct. 17, and that the company was working diligently to make changes that would allow it to be replaced in the App Store.

"HMV's developers are working around the clock to deliver an updated version of the iOS app for Apple's approval which will retain the innovative Image Search and Sound Search functionality to discover music and listen to 30 second previews," the statement said. HMV also noted that the app-based music store would be replaced with functionality allowing users to manage their music purchased via the company's HTML5 shop, similar to services offered by Amazon and Google.

The app was reportedly removed for violating clause 11.13 of Apple's iOS developer guidelines --?"Apps using IAP to purchase physical goods or goods and services used outside of the application will be rejected."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    The guidelines are there for developers from the start. If they don't follow them, that is on them. If they are unsure if what they want to do is okay they should ask for clarification.
  • Reply 2 of 52
    Don't know why there's a guideline that prohibits music stores.
  • Reply 3 of 52
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daveinpublic View Post

Because Apple takes a cut out of everything sold in-app.  If HMV wants to sell something without paying Apple it needs to do it outside the app.

HMV knew that, maybe they want to start a debate or lawsuits over Apple policies. The way around it is to make an HTML5 app with a shortcut icon. Once the user have that icon installed, it looks like a normal app and behave like one and the dev dont have to pay Apple anymore.

Someone may ask why dev just dont make HTLM5 apps in the first place.  Its because they want to be in the App store for the marketing power it brings. If you only make an HTML5 app, then users will need to find youre app on the net, it will not be visible in the app store. Most dev's thinks the marketing power of the app store is worth paying Apple a cut for there in-app purchased.

Of course if you are a reseller of content like HMV, you can't pay Apple a 30% cut because it would eat up all of you're margins.  If I was Apple, I would simply make another rate for resellers like google, amazon or HMV...  its better for Apple to get a 5% cut then get nothing.
  • Reply 4 of 52
    Hasn't something like this always been part of the App Store guidelines? Why on earth, several years into the App Store, did HMV suddenly think, "Ya know, I bet Apple will be okay if we go ahead and do this.... Forget every other music retailer that's wanted to and forget the rules for the store, gosh darn it, we're gonna do it!"
  • Reply 5 of 52
    ecatsecats Posts: 272member
    It always seems harsh when Apple cuts out these sorts of apps, but at the same time I'm sure HMV wouldn't be too willing for Apple to set up a store-in-a-store at their retail locations without paying rent.

It's also pretty inane to for HMV to suggest that they have the technology to offer instant downloads and check-out transactions, but not have any internal facility for managing that.
  • Reply 6 of 52
    Quote:

If you read it, it's not just music stores. Apple doesn't allow the selling of any product or service using in-app-purchasing system provided by Apple..

One main reason? Apple is liable for any funds it collects through it. I wouldn't want to be liable for 3rd party stuff either.. Apple has never been an Amazon retailer.. seems they want to avoid that and I'm glad they do.

• Reply 7 of 52
    Quote:

Don't know why or how Apple approved such an app in the first place.

• Reply 8 of 52
    What reality was HMV living in when they assumed they would be able to have their own music store on iOS?

These kinds of stories pop up every few months. Developer is clueless, Apple removes the app, developer whines and cries, developer changes their app to adhere to the app store rules.
  • Reply 9 of 52
    Meh, some statement defending Apple. Apple is always right. They were probably terrorists.
  • Reply 10 of 52
    reydnreydn Posts: 73member
    I know some people cry foul with this rule, but if you think about it - Apple supplies the storefront, and more importantly, the purchasing service that links all those credit cards to other vendors. Apple pays to bill those credit cards, so I think it's practice is reasonable. Linking to outside forms of purchase avoids the payment fees.
  • Reply 11 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrayven View Post

If you read it, it's not just music stores. Apple doesn't allow the selling of any product or service using in-app-purchasing system provided by Apple..

One main reason? Apple is liable for any funds it collects through it. I wouldn't want to be liable for 3rd party stuff either.. Apple has never been an Amazon retailer.. seems they want to avoid that and I'm glad they do.

Yup! You’re absolutely correct—I wouldn’t want to be liable either.

“HMV "politely declined" the request.”

So their APP was in violation of the developer guidelines, it got past someone, Apple found out, asked them to alter it, they declined and now “McGowan called the deadline "unrealistic" and said it was "disapointing that Apple has chosen to suspend an app that has proven to be very successful in only a few short days."”

DUH!

• Reply 12 of 52
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    I think this is wrong. It should be up to the consumer how or where they buy their music from, not Apple.

It is healthy to have different avenues to buy music. HMV is struggling as it is and it is mainly because of Apple.

Why do they not object to subscription music apps like Spotify since essentially they are competing with Apple, albeit with a different business model?
  • Reply 13 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottWilson View Post

Meh, some statement defending Apple. Apple is always right. They were probably terrorists.

Meh, some knee-jerk Anti-Apple bigot, trolling for lolz and/or to stroke his epeen on the interwebs but can't even muster the brain power to read what he's replying to.

Oh, giggle, giggle, giggle ... I haven't laughed that hard since I was a little girl. I think I almost shot coffee out of my nose ... and I wasn't even drinking coffee at the time.

But seriously, why has nobody hit you with the forum banhammer yet? The only rationale I can think of at the moment is that your brand of pathetic is just too funny.

• Reply 14 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottWilson View Post

No point in using a substantive argument when you can say something inflammatory like that. I call the use of 'terrorists' in this context a corollary to Godwin's Law. 

• Reply 15 of 52
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mobius View Post

I think this is wrong. It should be up to the consumer how or where they buy their music from, not Apple.

It is healthy to have different avenues to buy music. HMV is struggling as it is and it is mainly because of Apple.

Why do they not object to subscription music apps like Spotify since essentially they are competing with Apple, albeit with a different business model?

Like I said, there is nothing keeping HMV from making a HTML5 app and sell music on iOS devices without paying Apple...  If they want to use the app store, then they have to pay Apple a cut. I agrees that Apple model doesn't work for resellers of content, its design for app devs that sell there own content.

• Reply 16 of 52

First of all, because they have their own.

• Reply 17 of 52
    If Apple really rejected the app for "selling songs" then it would be newsworthy (and much more courtworthy than DoJ's ridiculous suit on iBooks).
    Apple rejected the app for using In App Purchases for real world purchases, right? I can understand why they would do that, and I can understand the developer assuming that those "real world purchases" being digital files, it would be fine to use IAP. It's not, too bad for them...
  • Reply 18 of 52
    Quote:

It is up to the consumer how or where they buy their music.  Apple does not require anyone to buy from iTunes.  But if you use the Apple App Store then you pay Apple.  

"Essentially", "albeit with a different business model", I think that if you are different then that changes the rules.

• Reply 19 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

First of all, because they have their own.

See my previous response why it's precisely where it would go afoul of "monopoly" rules. At least in my understanding, it s not what happened.

• Reply 20 of 52
    Quote:

1) What precisely do you think is wrong? The consumer can go by his/her music elsewhere. Apple isn't stopping that. So that can't be it.

What Apple is doing is enforcing their right to say that if a retailer wants to play in their [Apple's] sandbox, the one Apple developed, cultivated and forms a critical component in Apple's business, they have to play by Apple's rules. Why should a 3rd party be allowed to do anything they want on Apple's dime?

2) Again, there are different avenues to buy music for an iOS device. If HMV struggling, it is a result of HMV failing to develop or evolve their business properly.

3) Spotify? Well, perhaps they followed the rules for playing with Apple's toys, so Apple is all sorts of happy to let them play. Fairly easy, no?