iPhoto Issues *please read*

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Okay...some of you may follow me over here...I figured I would "officially" ask this question in the correct forum.

I have an older Beige G3 MiniTower computer...so I have the "issue" of only being able to boot OS X from a 8GB or less partition. My big issue with iPhoto is that it has insisted on saving my pictures to my boot partition. I have almost 20GB of digital images that I've taken over the past 6 years...see where this won't work?

My question is this....can I save my pix to my new 120GB HD and still view them via iPhoto? How can I re-route the folder where it saves to? Is there possibly a simple Terminal fix for this?

Thanks in Advanced!

Sam

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    get a new computer

sorry about being an idiot, I have nothing constructive to say
  • Reply 2 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by Flounder:

<strong>get a new computer

sorry about being an idiot, I have nothing constructive to say</strong><hr></blockquote>

No problem...great idea.....and your credit card # is???
  • Reply 3 of 6
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    [quote]Originally posted by yosemitesamiam:

<strong>

No problem...great idea.....and your credit card # is???</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's 548 008...... hey, wait a minute!
  • Reply 4 of 6
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    [quote]Originally posted by yosemitesamiam:

<strong>

My question is this....can I save my pix to my new 120GB HD and still view them via iPhoto? How can I re-route the folder where it saves to? Is there possibly a simple Terminal fix for this?

Sam</strong><hr></blockquote>

I could swear I saw this question someplace else with a correct answer, but I can't seem to find it so...

What you want to do is move your iPhoto Library folder to wherever you want, and delete it from its current location (which should be in ~/Pictures). Then replace the old iPhoto Library folder with an alias (with the same name) which points to the new folder. Should work; it does for me (actually, you have to be using iPhoto 1.1 or later, this does not work in iPhoto 1.0).
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Hey thanks! I'm going to version tracker to give it a try right now!

-Sam

[quote]Originally posted by tonton:

<strong>iPhoto is a horrible program for cataloguing large numbers of files. First of all, it is SLOW as molasses.

Secondly, and most importantly, it creates duplicates of all of the files you import.

If you have 20 GB of photos, sorted into folders by content, etc., and then import the photos into iPhoto, iPhoto will copy all of the images to the iPhoto database. You're now using 40 GB of space for your photos.

You could then delete your nicely managed folders of photos, but then you will only be able to access your photos from within iPhoto, as the iPhoto database of images is not organized for finder access, and is no longer organized by content as you once had it. You'll then have to "export" any image you want to edit in another program or copy to another media, etc.

Instead of iPhoto, I use the excellent $15 shareware program <a href="http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=11604&db=mac"; target="_blank">PhotoGridX</a>. It is fast as lightning (really, seriously fast), preserves your images as you have them stored on your hard drive, and can index any folder, anywhere. It doesn't create any database files or catalog files of any sort, nor does it need them. It also has a great slide show function, and global rotation controls, so you can easily view photos on a rotated portrait display, etc. I haven't found another program that is as good at organizing a large database of images.

Here's a recent testimonial from someone besides myself (just saw it on VersionTracker's top page):

There you have it. iPhoto killer (even though versions of this program were out way before iPhoto, or OS X even).</strong><hr></blockquote>