Apple's OS X 10.9 Mavericks launches as a free upgrade for Mac users

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple's next-generation desktop operating system, OS X 10.9 Mavericks, is now available on the Mac App Store as a free upgrade for all Mac users running Snow Leopard or above.

Mavericks

Mavericks, named after a Northern California surf spot, brings several new and innovative features to Apple's stalwart operating system. A major focus of the effort, Apple software chief Craig Federighi revealed at Tuesday's event, was to enhance the performance and battery life of Apple's Mac hardware.

"Mavericks is an incredible release, which introduces significant new apps and features, while also improving the performance and battery life of your Mac," Federighi said in a news release.

In a stunning departure from the status quo, Apple announced that beginning with Mavericks, all future OS X point releases would be free of charge. The free pricing structure was portrayed by Federighi as a "revolutionary" change in the PC industry, where software upgrades are usually paid. Federighi pointed to Microsoft's $199 pricing for the company's Windows 8 Pro upgrade as an example.

Mavericks

Apple's stated goal with the new pricing structure is for "every Mac user to experience the latest features, the most advanced technologies, and the strongest security," according to Federighi. He added that the company believes "the best way to do this is to begin a new era of personal computing software where OS upgrades are free."

In addition to performance enhancements, Mavericks brings iBooks and Maps from Apple's iOS mobile operating system. Maps is particularly deeply integrated into Mavericks, featuring prominently in updates to the Mail and Calendar apps.

Mavericks also features enhanced support for multiple displays, an updated to the Safari web browser, new iCloud Keychain functionality that synchronizes a users's Mac keychain with the user's other Macs and iOS devices, and a welcome new tabbed mode for Finder.

Macs running versions of OS X all the way back to Snow Leopard --?from 2007 onward -- will be able to take advantage of the new software in a single update. In preparation of the next-gen OS X, Apple also released Migration Assistant software to ease data transfer from Snow Leopard and Lion.

Mavericks is available today as a free download from the Mac App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 120
    hydrhydr Posts: 146member

Awesome! Now make iLife and iWork free too!

• Reply 2 of 120
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Didn't change my signature since WWDC.
  • Reply 3 of 120
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,884member
    Awesome!!!
  • Reply 4 of 120
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    An expected move from Apple, they did the same with iOS so it makes sense to use a SaaS structure.
  • Reply 5 of 120
    ireland wrote: »

Congrats! I'm definitely happy you were right!
  • Reply 6 of 120
    drowdrow Posts: 126member
    nice
  • Reply 7 of 120
    This can't be available soon enough for me...checking the App Store already. lol File tagging is going to change my life. :-)
  • Reply 8 of 120
    They had to make it free. MacOS segmentation was just killing us in IT.

Now to find out what's compatible and what's not...
  • Reply 9 of 120
    I love you Apple! I can't wait to get home to upgrade.
  • Reply 10 of 120
    Originally Posted by Goldenclaw View Post

They had to make it free. MacOS segmentation was just killing us in IT.

Isn’t that your fault? Pay for the update.

• Reply 11 of 120
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Absolutely fantastic - back to 2007 !
    Well done Apple !
  • Reply 12 of 120
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    WOW.

This is awesome!!!!

I may not like iOS much but this is just cool. Way to bring some coolness and loyalty back Apple.
  • Reply 13 of 120
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Nice call!

But didn't you take out "there will be an iTV"?  :p

• Reply 14 of 120

not currently available on the US Store?  HUH?

• Reply 15 of 120
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Too expensive.

I would have got it if they had announced it at half that price.

????
  • Reply 16 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Isn’t that your fault? Pay for the update.

I think he means supporting BYOD users. I notice when looking at people's Macs at Starbucks, a lot of users are 1 or 2 versions behind.

• Reply 17 of 120
    No word on icloud keychains? Do you think it will come back to iOS soon? Not really working on either iOS or OSX here in Canada???
  • Reply 18 of 120

Item not available in the US store :( 

• Reply 19 of 120
    technotechno Posts: 737member

Not available in Canada yet. Anyone know when?

Apple's Canadian site even has the "upgrade now" link, but it goes to the US store.

hmmmm

• Reply 20 of 120
    Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

I think he means supporting BYOD users.

Ah, I see. Corporate policy should be to educate users thereon, then.