Apple's updated 15" MacBook Pro features Intel Crystalwell graphics, starts at $1999

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple's premium 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display was refreshed on Tuesday with a lower starting price of $1,999, while adding features such as 802.11ac Wi-Fi and Intel Crystalwell graphics to the package.

New MacBook Pros

Along with the $200 price drop, which extends down to the new 13-inch model, Apple's latest flagship notebook features faster PCIe flash, as well as an optional GeForce GT 750M graphics processor. The refreshed laptop boasts the latest Intel quad-core Haswell processors with battery life extending to eight hours. Contributing some of that extra time is the latest edition of OS X --?Mavericks -- which comes with power-saving features

With the base configuration, the 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display ships with a 2.0 gigahertz quad-core Intel i7 processor, 8 gigabytes of memory and 256 gigabytes of storage. This model drops the discrete GPU for integrated Intel Iris Pro graphics, though higher-end versions can be kitted with the GeForce GT 750M discrete graphics chip with 2 gigabytes of dedicated video memory.

Also available as an add-on option is a faster 2.6 gigahertz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor with Turbo Boost up to 3.8 gigahertz.

New 15-inch MacBook Pro

Coming along for the ride on both models is next-generation 802.11ac Wi-Fi, which Apple says delivers wireless performance improvements of up to three times that of 802.11n. The 15-inch model also boasts two second-generation Thunderbolt ports capable of transmitting data at up to 20 gigabits per second to each connected device.

At the same time, Apple quietly discontinued the non-Retina 15-inch MacBook Pro. The 13-inch MacBook pro variant is now the only remaining Apple laptop to feature an optical drive and a spinning hard disk.

For those upgrading to a new Mac who may still be using OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard or OS X 10.8 Lion, Apple has provided Migration Assistant software to ease data transfer to your new system. More information on the release can be found here.

AppleInsider will be updating the Mac Price guide with the latest MacBook Pro later today.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 70
    yep I called it. No more discrete, integrated Iris Pro.
  • Reply 2 of 70
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    un_plug wrote: »

Discrete is available on the 15"
  • Reply 3 of 70

discrete is optional.

• Reply 4 of 70
    @un_plug--No you didn't call it. Perhaps you should read a little more.
    "The new notebook features faster PCIe flash, as well as an optional GeForce GT 750M graphics processor."

That is a discrete GPU.
  • Reply 5 of 70
    The cheapest 13" MBP Retina might be okayish value for money.
  • Reply 6 of 70
    Yep typed too fast- wonder how much that option is going to be? The Iris Pro is pretty powerful depending on cost the GT750 might not be worth it.
  • Reply 7 of 70
    Originally Posted by un_plug View Post

Nope, you didn’t. Nothing has changed.

• Reply 8 of 70

Unfortunately Apple looks like they discontinued the non-retina.   Sadly, this puts me in a windows 8.1 machine now.

• Reply 9 of 70

Hmmm.

So the MacBook Pro retina without Tax is USD$1999. Doing a currency conversion then adding 20% VAT you're looking at about GBP£1500, which is the starting price of the normal "fat" MacBook Pro in England. Getting rid of the older generation at last, maybe?

Either way, my MacBook Pro (1st gen thunderbolt) may be getting replaced sometime soon. ;)

Looking at (albeit gaming) benchmarks of the Iris Pro/HD5200 graphics chip on Notebookcheck, it appears to handle pretty beefy video games at decent frame rates and settings. If it is £1500, that would make it a really good bargain yet still more effective than the previous GT650M Chipset.

• Reply 10 of 70
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macboy Pro View Post

Unfortunately Apple looks like they discontinued the non-retina.   Sadly, this puts me in a windows 8.1 machine now.

Why would it? From what I gather the price drop on the retina puts it in the same ballpark as the non-retina.

If its a DVD drive you're after, just get a cheap Samsung USB one or something for £15 and call it a day.

• Reply 11 of 70
    Originally Posted by Macboy Pro View Post

Enjoy crap.

• Reply 12 of 70
    @tallest skill
    Not quite, there is a change- discrete is now an option, not built in. Will have to wait until store is up to find out how much extra a discrete will cost you. Was planning on order right away, but depending on cost, will probably wait until reviews for just Iris Pro vs GT750 show up. Might be more worth it to but money toward maxing the RAM.
  • Reply 13 of 70
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    macboy pro wrote: »

LOL! Have fun with that
  • Reply 14 of 70

Full MacBook Family.

Guess they kept on the el cheapo 13”.

• Reply 15 of 70
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Guess they kept on the el cheapo 13”.

Why would anyone buy that vs the 13" rMBP?

• Reply 16 of 70
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

For $100 more you get a modern laptop design, retina display, and modern laptop hardware.

The 13” uMBP is for cheapskates, I guess. :p 

• Reply 17 of 70
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

If you're going to keep it around for school bulk purchasing, you might as well keep it on the Store as well.

• Reply 18 of 70
    philipmphilipm Posts: 240member

Looks like only 1 non-retina option now: 13". Do the new retina models all feature soldered-in RAM I wonder?

• Reply 19 of 70
    Originally Posted by philipm View Post

Looks like only 1 non-retina option now: 13". Do the new retina models all feature soldered-in RAM I wonder?

‘Course they do.

• Reply 20 of 70
    Well Sadly they discontinued the non Retina MacBook Pro 15". But it appear they are keeping the 13 inch MacBook Pro non Retina.

I am gonna miss being able to upgrade my MacBook Pros. *sigh