Apple's cylindrical Mac Pro will debut in Dec. starting at $2,999

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple took the wraps off the last unannounced details on its upcoming Mac Pro desktop, namely price and release date, with the professional-grade machine set to debut in December with a starting price of $2,999.

Apple's all-new Mac Pro

The new Mac Pro is one-eighth the volume of the previous Mac Pro. It features Xeon E5 processors of up to 12 cores, as well as AMD FirePro graphics.

It also sports next-generation flash with a PCIe controller with up to 1.2GB/s reads, 1.0GB/s writes, and up to 1-terabyte capacity. Thunderbolt connectivity offers 20Gb/s throughput.

The new Mac Pro can drive up to three 4K displays with HDMI 1.4 support.

Apple's all-new Mac Pro

A new integrated motion controller also illuminates the input-output on the back when the device is moved.

A revamped version of Final Cut Pro X has also been developed by Apple, designed to take advantage of the horsepower of the new Mac Pro. As part of Tuesday's presentation, quotes from audio and video professionals praising the device were shared after they had time to sample the hardware pre-release.

The base model of Apple's next-generation desktop features a 3.7-gigzhertz Intel Xeon E5 processor, 12 gigabytes of RAM, dual FirePro D300 GPUs with 2 gigabytes of video RAM each, and a 256 gigabyte solid state drive.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 285
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    I was hoping for a 4K Apple Cinema Display mentioned immediately after the Mac Pro announcement.
  • Reply 2 of 285
    Ouch.
  • Reply 3 of 285

that's like 3K less than I was expecting. wow.

• Reply 4 of 285

Waste of money, I could go on new egg and buy parts at half the price and build something more powerful.

• Reply 5 of 285
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,250member
    Go away kootur. Nothing you buy at the garbage store will run OSX or last more than 5 minutes.
  • Reply 6 of 285

But yours would look like ass.

• Reply 7 of 285
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    kootur wrote: »
    Waste of money, I could go on new egg and buy parts at half the price and build something more powerful.

You go do that. Cancel your account while you're at it troll.
  • Reply 8 of 285
    Originally Posted by Kootur View Post

No, you can’t, you worthless, pathetic imbecile.

If you’ve any common sense or decency, prove me wrong. I’ll wait.

• Reply 9 of 285
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

• Reply 10 of 285
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    sflocal wrote: »
    You go do that. Cancel your account while you're at it troll.

He makes a perfect valid comment just as one can grow their vegetables for less than half the price as it costs to buy a salad at a restaurant.

I wonder why he thinks everyone wants to build their PCs and want to only consider superficial specs that Newegg displays. Sure he can make some aspects faster but he's not seeing the big picture. He can't get same performance in all areas. But, hey, can get a cool clear case with neon in it from Newegg.
  • Reply 11 of 285
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Go ahead, let's see what you come up with.
  • Reply 12 of 285
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    . another one post TROLL. You might get the troll for the day award.
  • Reply 13 of 285

I am a bit surprised that Apple went with ATI. The CUDA by NVIDIA is more accepted in the industry. For PRO users that is an important point...

• Reply 14 of 285

This is kind of upsetting. Doesn’t even come with ANYTHING anymore?

• Reply 15 of 285
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kootur View Post

don't burn yourself with the soldering iron, but I am  waiting for your benchmark test release.  

• Reply 16 of 285

Audience seemed very underwhelmed, but I thought $3k was a good price, although I don't shop in that market. 

• Reply 17 of 285
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    That price is amazing.

Just amazing.
  • Reply 18 of 285
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

My guess is to keep the price down and that most people who will buy one will be upgrading from an old Mac Pro so will already have the keyboard, mouse, screen etc.

It's a lot cheaper than I was expecting.

• Reply 19 of 285
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Anybody know the quad Xeon chip that is being used for the entry MacPro?
  • Reply 20 of 285
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

When I had MacPros and even with my iMac, when I go to upgrade I always thought what a waste getting a new keyboard and trackpad every time.  I have a pile of keyboards that I have never used. 

Also, lots of users will buy more than one machine (render farms, etc) and they don't need a keyboard for each one.  

Better for the environment.  And lowers the cost of the machine ever so slightly.