Apple announces new iPad Air: thinner, lighter & more powerful, coming Nov. 1

Comments

• Reply 40 of 138
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Surprised an no 802.11ac, surprised at no 8mp camera, surprised at no TouchID.

Still an amazing product but i'll probably get the iPad mini with retina display, keep my iPad 3 and see what gets added to next year's update.

Maybe. But to be safe don't pick up an iPad Air when you shop for that mini.... I suspect the weight difference between my (and your) 3 and that one to be very seductive! :)

For myself I was sure I was an auto-buy with retina on the mini: but given the 5's specs I'm going to have to handle them...

• Reply 42 of 138
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Surprised an no 802.11ac, surprised at no 8mp camera, surprised at no TouchID.

Still an amazing product but i'll probably get the iPad mini with retina display, keep my iPad 3 and see what gets added to next year's update.

All of those, and the A8.  Likely nothing else.
  • Reply 43 of 138
    rob53 wrote: »
    No TouchID. Not sure if that will hinder corporate purchases.

Apple, Inc. thanks you for the concern about their competitiveness.
  • Reply 44 of 138
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

How'd the exchange rate move over the last year?

When the Australian dollar was worth USD1.15 we were still paying $539. Apple Tax strikes again.

• Reply 45 of 138
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    Quote:

How'd the exchange rate move over the last year?

It's only $519 in Canada. The AU$ and C$ are almost exactly the same. It helps to be able to cross border shop.
  • Reply 46 of 138
    Quote:

Originally Posted by simtub View Post

I'm guessing they kept the iPad 2 because it has the same specs as the iPad Mini which they also kept. iPad 3 wouldn't have made sense as it was discontinued. iPad 4 would have been appropriate but no 30pin dock for legacy users.

Also who in the right mind would buy an iPad 2 for 399usd when an iPad Air costs 499usd which is 3 generations newer LOL!

Same with iPad mini vs iPad mini with Retina - 299 vs 399 when the SOC is generations newer.

Well, those 25% or 30% price jumps can decide some people when there's no overarching cellphone contract to render the upfront cost less significant.

• Reply 47 of 138
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

Touch ID really isn't all that secure so I don't see why corps would be too concerned. They like long strings of characters that are so !@#%$#! easy to remember
  • Reply 48 of 138

So no A7X chip for iPad's higher res display? Hmm , maybe the extra graphics power isn't really necessary...

• Reply 49 of 138
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by architecton View Post

So no A7X chip for iPad's higher res display? Hmm , maybe the extra graphics power isn't really necessary...

The A7 is a beast.

• Reply 50 of 138

I was ready to go from an iPad 2 to a new iPad but without Touch ID I'll just wait until they add it. I know the next iPhone I upgrade to will have that and I'd like my next iPad to have it as well.

And as far as selling that old iPad 2 still, I bet there are two reasons. 1. margins! I bet they're making a fortune on that and it's probably cheaper than ever to build now. 2. There are many people, like my wifes grandparents, who just bought two iPad 2's recently and only use it for facetime and email. They saved 200 dollars and get everything they need out of that device.

• Reply 51 of 138

iPad 2 is just a pricing strategy. There are budget conscious consumers who would be comparing different tablets in the same price range, but still would like the apple logo. 

• Reply 52 of 138
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

I agree, this is cool as hell!

This is the first new iPad that makes seriously want to upgrade from my 1st gen iPad.

This iPad like blows away my Macbook Pro in terms of its power loool.

I want one!

• Reply 53 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

When the Australian dollar was worth USD1.15 we were still paying $539. Apple Tax strikes again.

And now it's worth $0.9649... more like international exchange rates reality biting: that's a 17% swing you want them to absorb. 

• Reply 54 of 138
    gotapple wrote: »
    So no A7X?

Please enlighten me as to how the A7X differs from the A7 they into the iPad Air.
  • Reply 55 of 138
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

People are idiots. Apple talks about nothing more than getting new hardware in the hands of as many people as possible… and then they keep selling crap from 2011!

Dump the 2, sell the 4th gen.

Margin not as good. Distinction between iPad4 and iPadAir not as visible.

• Reply 56 of 138
    ipenipen Posts: 410member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

That's saved for the next refresh.  Can't have everything in one shot.  Then it'll be nothing new next time.

Or the manufacture can't supply that many touchid for iphone 5s and ipad air at the same time.  Anyway, just wait for the next refresh which may be only 7 month away like ipad 3 to 4.

• Reply 57 of 138
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    rob53 wrote: »

It is probably a yield issue. They need all they can make for the 5s.
  • Reply 58 of 138
    Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

Margin not as good.

Point.

Distinction between iPad4 and iPadAir not as visible. 

Still the physical distinction; that’s pretty visible.

• Reply 59 of 138
    ipenipen Posts: 410member
    Quote:

And now it's worth $0.9649... more like international exchange rates reality biting: that's a 17% swing you want them to absorb. 

I think Apple keeps all the foreign currency in foreign land to avoid taxes.  There is nothing to absorb other than on books when doing financial reporting.

• Reply 60 of 138

Guys I think most people must be aware that iPad Air and iPad mini with Retina Display has exactly the same specs except screen size, dimensions, weight and PRICE POINTS.

Which one to get? That is the question.  $100 cheaper for iPad mini with Retina Display and lastest spec as well.

BTW, with the naming of iPad Air, according to one of the posts I have no doubt that there will be an iPad Pro coming next year.  I will not wait for that because I am using the original iPad and I want to align my Apple devices to the same years (not possible on the 15" MacBook Pro with Retina Display mid 2012 because I bought it last year and it still work like a charm - might replace it after 5 years i.e. year when iPhone 7s comes out) but I've already got an iPhone 5s to replace my iPhone 4S.  I really want to know what you guys think of this.