Apple's new iPad mini with Retina display starts at $399, first-gen iPad mini drops to $299

Comments

• Reply 81 of 203
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dugbug View Post

Multiuser is a valid feature request, no need to be snarky.

Tallest Skil is an anagram for Snarky. :)

• Reply 82 of 203
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Wait, no… it’s not… You don’t seem to understand. John Q. Public can’t buy NAND storage like this.

Actually with very little effor they can,, so you are the one that doesn't understand. But then that doesn't surprise me.
  • Reply 83 of 203
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

http://store.apple.com/us/ipad/compare

That doesn't say anything to your point at all. I must have misunderstood you, or the other way around.

• Reply 84 of 203
    Quote:

Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

2. It is not uncommon for Apple to hold something back for the "tock" year of their tick-tock cycle.

This'll be a first for me, but I think I am going to wait for the tock.

• Reply 85 of 203
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    masteric wrote: »
    A little surprised there is no Touch ID....

For next year- Marketing 101. Don't give everything all at once. Hold something back.
  • Reply 86 of 203
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

IMO - this is too expensive.

Here's a link to perfectly priced tablets for you.  I found them intermixed between hospital supplies and t-shirts.  Since quality is not something you seem to care about.

http://www.hktdc.com/suppliers-list/tablet/en/1/

• Reply 87 of 203
    Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

No, it would be much higher. Same number of pixels as the 9.7" version crammed into 7.9"

Nope, that’s the math.

Originally Posted by dugbug View Post

Multiuser is a valid feature request

And my response was a valid dismissal of it. If you’ve proof that Apple has any interest in giving multiple user access to a single iOS device, feel free to present it. 

They don’t want you to do that. Buy separate devices.

Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

Actually with very little effort they can

Do you have a link to where I can buy said NAND myself? Thanks.

• Reply 88 of 203
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

$399 for the Retina mini is way too high.  This model should have started at the price of the old mini while the old mini dropped further.  It's nice that they included the A7, but I really think this model is priced too far above its competition.  The Retina mini costs 74% more than a Nexus 7.  How is that a compelling price?

It really wouldn't be, I guess, for people like you. Not a big deal.

• Reply 89 of 203
    IPAD Air, now just 478 grams* vs. new IPAD mini at 341 grams, it's just a difference of 137 grams. After shedding about 184 grams from IPAD4, I have a feeling many people will find it hard to decide between the Air and Mini, especially gamers and people who like bigger screen (like me).

*IPAD4 = 662 grams
  • Reply 90 of 203
  • Reply 91 of 203
    Quote:

True. Except that this is the first time ever Apple has raised the price of an iProduct. Every year before this, they have kept pricing the same (of course, there was a price drop in the first year) regardless of what new features they added.

The original iProduct:   Apple raised the price of the iMac G4  over the original iMac.

• Reply 92 of 203

Yes, it did.  Original ipad Mini from last year 308 grams.  ipad Mini Retina display 331 grams.  Just like the transition between 10 inch iPad 2nd generation and 3rd generation when Retina was introduced  there.  It took two more generations before they were able to drop the weight back down to pre-Retina weights with the full size one.  Still at easily less than a pound you start to split hairs if we weren't already doing that.  

• Reply 93 of 203
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

This'll be a first for me, but I think I am going to wait for the tock.

Because of TouchID? I am thinking about it, too. 

• Reply 94 of 203
    What's missing in all this is that another year has passed without any new innovations from Apple. Since Tim took over the only new thing we've had is fingerprint addition to the iPhone. Aside from that we've only had are size, spec and performance changes/increases. Yes, they are great products, but time for something new.
  • Reply 95 of 203
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

Quote:

Wait, no… it’s not… You don’t seem to understand. John Q. Public can’t buy NAND storage like this.

Actually with very little effor they can,, so you are the one that doesn't understand. But then that doesn't surprise me.

I definitely would pay to see you try and convince my son's school teacher that they should purchase and install their own NAND storage for their tablet.  Better yet, try to explain even what NAND storage is.  Then do the same with the other 95% of people I know who don't give a rat's *ss how technology works, but simply want to use and enjoy it.  Welcome to the human race.

• Reply 96 of 203
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

The original iProduct:   Apple raised the price of the iMac G4  over the original iMac.

Good point. As the MacBook Pro line went up in price when Retina Display was added. But my point was about iPhones and iPads. Nevertheless, you're right about the iMac.

• Reply 97 of 203
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    Quote:

Nope, that’s the math.

And my response was a valid dismissal of it. If you’ve proof that Apple has any interest in giving multiple user access to a single iOS device, feel free to present it. 

They don’t want you to do that. Buy separate devices.

Do you have a link to where I can buy said NAND myself? Thanks.

www.digikey.com
    Part # MT29F128G08CFABAWP:B TR-ND 16 GB
    $17.10
  • Reply 98 of 203
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Voren View Post

Good point. Very concise.

• Reply 99 of 203
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

True. Except that this is the first time ever Apple has raised the price of an iProduct. Every year before this, they have kept pricing the same (of course, there was a price drop in the first year) regardless of what new features they added.

But it's also the first year they leaped a generation (arguably 2 compared to the Full iPad).

Don't get me wrong- I wish it was $299!  Hah :)

But we wen't from an iPad 2 A5 to iPad 3 A5 Retina to iPad 4 A6 Retina to iPad Air A7 Retina- all at $499

So we're essentially jumping from an iPad 2 specs to a iPad Air specs- bypassing the iPad 3 and 4.  This is unprecedented- and $70 is a worthy upgrade from what we were getting last week at $329.

• Reply 100 of 203
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

What's missing in all this is that another year has passed without any new innovations from Apple. Since Tim took over the only new thing we've had is fingerprint addition to the iPhone. Aside from that we've only had are size, spec and performance changes/increases. Yes, they are great products, but time for something new.

Because other companies are coming out with new product categories all the time?