iWork gets its biggest upgrade ever with overhauled iOS, OS X apps

Comments

• Reply 21 of 67
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

This is what Apple tech support just told me, if you bought something with iOS 7 the apps should be free.

On the mac side, they are checking if my imac bought at the end of september is eligible. 

I hope you get them free. I got my niece to buy a Macbook for her freshman year at college about the same time as you and it would be nice to get her off of using  MS Office and give iWork a shot. 

• Reply 22 of 67
    * Pages, Numbers, and Keynote are free on the Mac App Store for qualifying Mac computers purchased on or after October 1, 2013. OS X Mavericks required. Downloading apps requires an Apple ID.
    ** GarageBand is free on the Mac App Store for all compatible Mac computers with OS X Mavericks. Additional GarageBand instruments and sounds are available with an in-app purchase. Downloading apps requires an Apple ID.

Source: http://www.apple.com/creativity-apps/mac/

See bottom of web-page
  • Reply 23 of 67
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    I fear that the latest iWork and iLife apps will only be available for the latest Macs.
    Still seeing good old Pages '09 as "installed" in the Mac App Store when I search for "pages."

Oops. I now see Tallest Skil's and herbapou's posts. Oh well. I'll keep running Pages '09.
    Still syncs fine with iCloud.
  • Reply 24 of 67
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

I fear that the latest iWork and iLife apps will only be available for the latest Macs.

There’s no way they can do that.

• Reply 25 of 67
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I bought an iMac last week, wonders if I can get iWork suite for free.

Of course you will.

• Reply 26 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by moosemanda View Post

I *just* bought a Mac Mini two weeks ago...think I still qualify as a "new" Mac? My fingers are crossed.

Just bought an iMac yesterday. Me too!

• Reply 27 of 67
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,822member
    jd_in_sb wrote: »
    How is Microsoft going to have any future selling software in the tablet space? They can't make money selling their own tablet OS and they have to compete with free on the world's most popular tablet.

MS are S.O.O.L. I'd say :D
  • Reply 28 of 67
    opa1979 wrote: »
    * Pages, Numbers, and Keynote are free on the Mac App Store for qualifying Mac computers purchased on or after October 1, 2013. OS X Mavericks required. Downloading apps requires an Apple ID.
    ** GarageBand is free on the Mac App Store for all compatible Mac computers with OS X Mavericks. Additional GarageBand instruments and sounds are available with an in-app purchase. Downloading apps requires an Apple ID.

Source: http://www.apple.com/creativity-apps/mac/

See bottom of web-page

I'd suggest checking out Logic Pro X before spending addition $s on GarageBand. LPX is amazing and just as simple and comes with everything ... and more ... :)
  • Reply 29 of 67
    51504rock wrote: »
    like the icons for the mac but the icons for iOS LOOK LIKE CRAP!!

You must have funny looking crap.
  • Reply 30 of 67

The new Pages and Keynote just showed up free in Software Updates for the two '09 standalone versions I purchased last year on an old Mac Pro 4,1 running Mavericks

• Reply 31 of 67
    herbapou wrote: »
    This is what Apple tech support just told me, if you bought something with iOS 7 the apps should be free.
    On the mac side, they are checking if my imac bought at the end of september is eligible. 

UPDATE:  all macs bought from october 1st will get free apps after they upgrade to maverick

So I wonder if you buy a new Mac can the free versions then also be downloaded to your other older Macs as they could be pre this free version when they were purchased?
  • Reply 32 of 67
    plankton wrote: »
    The new Pages and Keynote just showed up free in Software Updates for the two '09 standalone versions I purchased last year on an old Mac Pro 4,1 running Mavericks

They were purchased from the Apps Store right, not on the DVD? I seem to be out of luck as all my iLife and iWorks were purchased on disk although the exact same version that was on line!

Update: I am seeing OS X iMove v10 now in free updates. Hopefully the rest will show up. I suppose only iLife though not iWork ...
  • Reply 33 of 67
    gwmac wrote: »
    Oh really? Guess I was daydreaming then since I just downloaded Pages, Numbers, keynote, iPhoto, and iMovie all for free on my 5s. 

I just got them for iPhone 4S and a 5.
  • Reply 34 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

They were purchased from the Apps Store right, not on the DVD? I seem to be out of luck as all my iLife and iWorks were purchased on disk although the exact same version that was on line!

Yeah, if anyone figures out how to get the retail box versions (which cost more than the MAS versions) registered on the Mac App Store for free upgrades to the new version, please let us know! Annoying that iWork on DVD cost $79 and is not eligible for the same updates that the Mac App Store purchased versions (which cost $60) are...! Still wondering if the next version of Aperture (if it ever comes out) will be eligible for a free upgrade over the MAS. I paid $200 for v2 and $99 for an upgrade to v3 and will be a tiny bit frustrated if only the folks who paid $80 on the MAS will be eligible for that free upgrade!

• Reply 35 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I just got them for iPhone 4S and a 5.

Yeah, it seems that once you get the free copies on an eligible device, you can get them on other devices as well. I downloaded all the freebies on my 5S and was then able to install them onto my iPad Mini.

• Reply 36 of 67
    djames4242 wrote: »
    Yeah, it seems that once you get the free copies on an eligible device, you can get them on other devices as well. I downloaded all the freebies on my 5S and was then able to install them onto my iPad Mini.

But I didn't have an eligible device! I have iPad 2 and 3 and iPhone 4S and 5 ... all got all free updates. Not that I am complaining, just wish my Macs were too, but I did just get iMovie 10, it popped up as available. Nothing else yet.
  • Reply 37 of 67
    djames4242 wrote: »
    Yeah, if anyone figures out how to get the retail box versions (which cost more than the MAS versions) registered on the Mac App Store for free upgrades to the new version, please let us know! Annoying that iWork on DVD cost $79 and is not eligible for the same updates that the Mac App Store purchased versions (which cost $60) are...! Still wondering if the next version of Aperture (if it ever comes out) will be eligible for a free upgrade over the MAS. I paid $200 for v2 and $99 for an upgrade to v3 and will be a tiny bit frustrated if only the folks who paid $80 on the MAS will be eligible for that free upgrade!

Same here on Aperture and iWorks. Yes that seem one big weird mess dealing with box v online versions. I have a mix now and it drives me crazy at times.
  • Reply 38 of 67
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Excellent. 

So what happens with Aperture now? What's the story on that?

Is it just an iPhoto on steroids, or does Apple have plans to improve it to the degree that it can go head-to-head with Lightroom and Capture One? Because in its current state it can't.

• Reply 39 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Excellent. 

So what happens with Aperture now? What's the story on that?

Is it just an iPhoto on steroids, or does Apple have plans to improve it to the degree that it can go head-to-head with Lightroom and Capture One? Because in its current state it can't.

I keep thinking the same thing. But then I went over to the Lightroom site and perused the version history on Wikipedia and honestly couldn't find much functionality in Lightroom that is missing in Aperture (aside from tight integration with Photoshop).

I'm not saying Aperture isn't in need of an update, I'm just not sure what that update should be :)

• Reply 40 of 67

Back on topic though, has anyone used any of these updates and can comment? I love Pages and was ready to spend $20 for another copy, but then I looked at the screenshots and am not sure I like what I see. Or rather, what I don't see. One of the things about the iWork apps that makes them work so well for me is the integration into the Inspector panel(s) which allow for rapid formatting without the use of multiple dialog boxes (read: Word and PowerPoint are horrible, Pages and Keynote blow them away).

It looked to me as though the interface had been simplified, and not for the better, and I can't see that any real new functionality has been added. Can anyone tell us if these updates are worth it?

Keynote was nearly perfect as-is but needed a little better support for PowerPoint collaboration and it would be nice if it allowed live linking to Numbers documents (PowerPoint sucks, but one of its strengths is the ability to include real-time data by linking Excel spreadsheets which can, in turn, be connected to external data sources giving presentations access to current information).

Numbers has fantastic formatting (its charts blow away Excel's and I love how tables are free objects not tied to a page the way they are in Excel) but was lacking in formulas and in support for data interpretation ala Pivot Tables.

I'd be happy to update these applications as well if any of this sort of functionality has been added!