Apple's new iPad mini with Retina display starts at $399, first-gen iPad mini drops to $299

Comments

• Reply 101 of 203
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Can't wait to hear from pmz... Love this thread.

LOL

The announced price points were exactly what I was hoping Apple would have done.

• Reply 102 of 203
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

What's missing in all this is that another year has passed without any new innovations from Apple. Since Tim took over the only new thing we've had is fingerprint addition to the iPhone. Aside from that we've only had are size, spec and performance changes/increases. Yes, they are great products, but time for something new.

64 Bit processor?  64 Bit OS?  Touch ID?  What do you want- a hologram iPhone?

As Tallest Skil would say- Shut up and go away.

• Reply 103 of 203
    Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

www.digikey.com

Part # MT29F128G08CFABAWP:B TR-ND 16 GB

$17.10

And that’s Apple-quality NAND? Rated to a million R/W cycles? Not the kind that will die in a year that Google uses?

• Reply 104 of 203
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wisely View Post

IPAD Air, now just 478 grams* vs. new IPAD mini at 341 grams, it's just a difference of 137 grams. After shedding about 184 grams from IPAD4, I have a feeling many people will find it hard to decide between the Air and Mini, especially gamers and people who like bigger screen (like me).

*IPAD4 = 662 grams

My experience is that people do feel the difference in weight. But importantly, size matters even more. 

• Reply 105 of 203
    Quote:

Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

This'll be a first for me, but I think I am going to wait for the tock.

Because of TouchID? I am thinking about it, too. 

Yes..

But then, Nov 1 rolls around... and who knows, all resolve might be out the window...:D 

• Reply 106 of 203

What's missing in all this is that another year has passed without any new innovations from Apple.

Do you enjoy being an idiot? Does it sexually pleasure you or something? Willful ignorance is a disease, really.

Since Tim took over the only new thing we've had is fingerprint addition to the iPhone. Aside from that we've only had are size, spec and performance changes/increases.

Ah, I see. You’re deaf… DUMB… and blind. Simultaneously. That makes sense.

• Reply 107 of 203
    Quote:

Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

Why does it worry you? Why not just get what you want and need, and be happy with that?

Because I own Apple stock.

• Reply 108 of 203
    Why keep the iPad2 is still available when no one is buy it? They should keep the iPad4 instead.
  • Reply 109 of 203
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

I didn't see any mention of the weight of the retina iPad mini. Did it go up?

A little. 23 grams. An average playing dart is 28 grams, for example.

• Reply 110 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Masteric View Post

A little surprised there is no Touch ID....

I'm not surprised at all. They want to give it a year in the market to prove itself and then bring it over to all new iPads. I would have been surprised if it did happen.

• Reply 111 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dugbug View Post

Multiuser is a valid feature request, no need to be snarky.

Yes, it is a valid request... for the iPad.

• Reply 112 of 203
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Except it is relevant with regards to pricing.  A 5mp vs 8mp camera doesnt cost that much more.  Touch ID isn't outrageous.  Wireless AC isn't much more than N.  etc. etc.

You've been around Apple long enough to know they don't cram everything new into their non-premium products (i.e.- not the iPhone).  At $329- it can't have everything the Full-sized iPad has at $499.

Look- this is a 2-year processor jump and retina for only $70.  That's a bargain.  You have to take it all into account- where it was, and where it is.

If I had an original mini and Apple said that for $70 they could wave a wand and bump my A5 to an A7 and the screen to a Retina screen, I would say yes.  That is a good deal in isolation.  The problem is that I wouldn't have bought the original mini anyway.  It was already overpriced.  Now the mini has the right features to justify the original price, but Apple decided to bump up the price.

• Reply 113 of 203
    Quote:

Originally Posted by snowweasel View Post

So, I'm pretty happy with these announcements, except... WHY IN THE WORLD would anybody get the iPad 2 at this point?

They kept it around purely for financial reasons for Apple. I think they should have dropped it. But hey, what do I know.

• Reply 114 of 203
    Quote:

Originally Posted by G-Note View Post

Where are all the users that claimed we would not see a Retina Mini this year??

anal ysts

• Reply 115 of 203
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Buying a WIfI only model this time as I am sick of Verizon and AT&T's shenanigans with burning SIM cards, etc.
  • Reply 116 of 203
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

$399 for the Retina mini is way too high.

It's not cheap.

That sentence has 2 meanings.

• Reply 117 of 203
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

I have a friend who is a gamer and he prefers the ipad mini.  He is more than please to see the mini will get the A7.  

• Reply 118 of 203
    Quote:

What's missing in all this is that another year has passed without any new innovations from Apple. Since Tim took over the only new thing we've had is fingerprint addition to the iPhone. Aside from that we've only had are size, spec and performance changes/increases. Yes, they are great products, but time for something new.

According to one analyst, Apple is planning on selling a 65" HD tv next year, another is talking about the iWatch.

... or were you talking more along the lines of a transporter or flux capacitor...

• Reply 119 of 203
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

It was already overpriced.  Now the mini has the right features to justify the original price, but Apple decided to bump up the price.

That's according to you.  It wasn't overpriced to me.  It apparently was not overpriced to Apple- and it was selling in droves- otherwise they wouldn't have raised the price.

The truth is- your opinion doesn't matter to Apple because they are successful with how they did it.  And if they thought selling it at $279 would create more profit with volume than $329- they would have done that.  I enjoy hearing yours and other's opinions- they don't.  They are brilliant- you and I aren't.  ;) 

• Reply 120 of 203
    Do you enjoy being an idiot? Does it sexually pleasure you or something? Willful ignorance is a disease, really.

Ah, I see. You’re deaf… DUMB… and blind. Simultaneously. That makes sense.

This from the ex-mod moron with an IQ of 13. The same idiot who spent years telling us what a failure an ipad mini would be. :rotfl:

That's what ya gotta love about this place. A bunch of toddlers who can't handle anything outside their playground mental images of what they think Apple should be.