Apple announces new iPad Air: thinner, lighter & more powerful, coming Nov. 1

Comments

• Reply 61 of 138
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member

I'm extremely happy with the new iPad Air. The name "air" I feel is fitting since it's supposedly the lightest tablet on the market. There is nothing wrong with Apple using the A7 chip. That chip is a beast. I'm not bothered by no Touch ID, although that feature would have been nice. I am a little disappointed Apple didn't add the new iSight camera from the iPhone 5s. Apple did address my main wants with a thinner bezel and less weight. I do plan on upgrading from my iPad 3. 

• Reply 62 of 138
    dugbugdugbug Posts: 283member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

I'm confused. A7 just bought the iPhone to iPad 4 graphics levels with the A6X (a6X had double the GPU resources of the A6, thus the same-ish performance as the A7 on purely GPU), but they're saying the same A7 doubled it from the iPad 4...? Yet it's not an A7X? 

Im wondering that too.  They typically up the clock rate for ipad CPUs as well.  Be curious what anandtech finds.

• Reply 63 of 138
    Love the new IPAD Air, now just 478 grams* vs. new IPAD mini at 341 grams, making a difference of 137 grams. I am happy enough to stick with the 9.7" big brother!

*IPAD4 = 662 grams
  • Reply 64 of 138
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LJC94512 View Post

Guys I think most people must be aware that iPad Air and iPad mini with Retina Display has exactly the same specs except screen size, dimensions, weight and PRICE POINTS.

Which one to get? That is the question.  $100 cheaper for iPad mini with Retina Display and lastest spec as well.

BTW, with the naming of iPad Air, according to one of the posts I have no doubt that there will be an iPad Pro coming next year.  I will not wait for that because I am using the original iPad and I want to align my Apple devices to the same years (not possible on the 15" MacBook Pro with Retina Display mid 2012 because I bought it last year and it still work like a charm - might replace it after 5 years i.e. year when iPhone 7s comes out) but I've already got an iPhone 5s to replace my iPhone 4S.  I really want to know what you guys think of this.

The specs aren't the same. The iPad mini has a better display. iPad mini is 326ppi vs the 264ppi of the iPad Air. 

• Reply 65 of 138
    reydnreydn Posts: 73member
    stanhope wrote: »
    A big fat yawn. No touch ID on the iPad Air? Hmmm I shouldn't have sold my old iPad.
    I'm now going for a refurbished mini (1st gen) at $249 - in a couple of years I'll upgrade when ipad has Touch ID and who knows what else :)
  • Reply 66 of 138
    flux8flux8 Posts: 12member

I suspect the reason they called it the iPad Air is that they're planning on an iPad Pro - perhaps the rumored 12" iPad coming out next year.  This would create a line-up parallel to the Macbooks.  

Not sure why the name is causing such hysterical complaints.  

• Reply 67 of 138

The difference now between the iPad and the iPad mini is $100 for the WiFi to get a larger screen at lower pixel density?

I don't need an iPad weighing 16oz. Holy crap Ivy. Go to the gym. Make the parent [iPad] as heavy as the  iPad 2 [still the biggest seller] and double the battery life, put in the A7X and its mythical 4 Core CPU/8 Core GPGPU from ImgTec and sell the 128GB at $899.

You'd finish off the Surface 2 before it got started and obliterate Android.

But instead, I see 16oz of iPad mini in a larger container.

Beautiful, but so have they all been. Build out the performance, please.

• Reply 68 of 138
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member

I'm a little hit-and-miss on having TouchID on the iPads.  Sure the coolness factor would be nice, but in terms of practical I'm not sure it's a benefit.

TouchID on iPhones is perfect.  It's a very personal device, it's always with you and one rarely has other people using it.  One would want that secure with fingerprints.

An iPad on the other hand is popular for multiple users, parents let the kids borrow it, etc... TouchID would probably get in the way with multiple users, kids have dirty hands covered in peanut butter, etc..  Sure one can turn off TouchID and have multiple fingerprints, but I'm not seeing the use in that.  My iPhone is locked-down, but my iPad is not.

iOS7 has better security in terms of locking down the device unless one knows their iCloud password in the event it gets stolen.

I dunno... best to play the waiting game.  I'm looking forward to seeing the new iPads/Minis and will definitely be upgrading my iPad3.

All in all, a great lineup!

• Reply 69 of 138

After using a Surface, I will not come back to an iPad until Apple adds some key features that I have come to enjoy:

• USB port and microSD slot - makes added storage and file access super easy. 

• Touch cover - adds functionality and works great, doubles as a cover for the screen, folds around back when you want a pure tablet experience, and is super slim so doesn't add much bulk. 

• Multiple user accounts - anyone in the household can pick it up and have it tailored to them (apps, settings, SkyDrive integration, etc.)

• Full browser experience - kids can play their Flash-based games, and a few sites that are frustrating to use on iPad are not an issue

I also get Office, which comes in handy since it provides FULL compatibility with my work documents. 

Yes, there is not nearly the selection of apps for Surface, but I have what I need. I actually found myself with an iPad full of many apps I barely touched - so I am liking the more streamlined approach of focusing on only what I really need and use on a regular basis. 

The iPad 2 for $399 is so ridiculous and greedy - and so is the fact that all the base models still only have 16GB (particulary when there is no easy storage expansion and the retina apps take up more space). This really leaves a bad taste in my mouth about Apple - and it's getting harder and harder for me to be an Apple fan.

I still have multiple MacBooks, iPhones and an iPad (now really only used by my wife for email and a couple of games) in my household, but as other alternatives continue to get better that may not be the case forever.

• Reply 70 of 138
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

WHY the name?! WHY? Just iPad. Available in 9.7” and 7.9” versions. And eventually 12/13”.

STILL SELLING THE IPAD 2?! WHY?!

I think it's because they decided to continue selling the iPad2, they wanted to differentiate between the old/new models.  It's semantics really.  Everyone is still going to refer to it as an iPad.  

• Reply 71 of 138
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

Margin not as good. Distinction between iPad4 and iPadAir not as visible.

Of course the margin isn't as good- but the 64-bit A7 vs the A6 and form factor are pretty glaringly visible.

I'm with TS.  It's a little annoying to hear them talk about wanting everyone on a unified platform, but still having a 30-pin connector device.  Once the iPad Mini and iPad 2 are gone- those will be the last of the non-retina iDevices too.  We are finally through with Optical drives- let's drop the 30-pin connectors.

• Reply 72 of 138
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Looks nice and should sell very well.

Sadly, with iOS7, I am no longer in the market for iDevices.  Would have loved this.

Your loss.

• Reply 73 of 138
    Originally Posted by huffcw View Post

enjoy… …USB port and microSD slot… …Flash…

Seems you’re still stuck in your join date. No one cares.

• Reply 74 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

When the Australian dollar was worth USD1.15 we were still paying $539. Apple Tax strikes again.

No, refusal-to-learn-facts-that-have-been-repeated-here-ad-nauseum strikes again.

• Reply 75 of 138
    So no A7X chip for iPad's higher res display? Hmm , maybe the extra graphics power isn't really necessary...

Did you miss the news that the A7 has 2x the GPU power of the iPad 4? They're driving the same display.
  • Reply 76 of 138
    So it's obvious that Apple is attempting slowly begin aligning the iPad with its computer line.

They could have just called it the "new iPad," or any other conceivable name. But the fact that they chose "air" means that they are setting the stage for an iPad "Pro."

My guess is that the Pro will have the finger id button, it will feature more storage space, and it might even have a clever keyboard accessory like MS' Surface (although much better executed, of course).

If they can charge, say, $700 or $800 for an iPad Pro, it makes the "Air" the choice for the average user, whereas the "mini" becomes the de-facto model for younger audiences and those with less money.

I think Apple's long-term goal (over, say, 10-12 years) is to completely phase-out x86-based computers and Mac Os. As Apple slowly expands iOS into the "professional" arena, and exponentially increases the power of its AX processors, I think we will see entire laptops/desktops running a future version of iOS using Apple-produced proprietary processors.

And I think the move today toward integrating the iPad into the computer lineup is the very first step.
  • Reply 77 of 138

Did previous iPads come with headphones? The new ones don't list headphones as included in the box.

• Reply 78 of 138
    iPad Air has to be a way to differentiate the product for the future. I'd expect some sort of extra integration with OS X down the line, and a Pro model.
  • Reply 79 of 138
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

WHY the name?! WHY? Just iPad. Available in 9.7” and 7.9” versions. And eventually 12/13”.

STILL SELLING THE IPAD 2?! WHY?!

The name is because this iPad Air is significantly smaller/lighter than a regular old iPad and that fact needed to be brought to the attention of Apple customers. And because the name is cool I can some people taking an interest in it over the Retina iPad mini.

Why are they selling iPad 2? God knows, lol.

• Reply 80 of 138
    Quote:

People are idiots. Apple talks about nothing more than getting new hardware in the hands of as many people as possible… and then they keep selling crap from 2011!

Dump the 2, sell the 4th gen.

I agree.

I desperately need to change my 1st gen iPad and now I don't know what to do. I am not an iPad heavy user, so no need to have the new Air, but I don't want the 2. Probably I have to go for the new iPad mini.